WIP: 2007 MP4/22

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
builder77
Backmarker
Backmarker

WIP: 2007 MP4/22

Post by builder77 »

I needed to take a break on the Ferrari F1-2000 so I thought I would get working on this beautiful car.

This is just the mock up to see how the parts fit and get the pieces in the right spot.

First off let me just say that the white metal is the best Studio 27 white metal to date. The pieces are not bent and are actually a much harder mold. They are also thinner than most of the older Studio kits I have see/built.

Very smooth resin with little marks or cleanup needed. to the body.

All white metal pieces were sanded with Tamiya sand paper. There are a few pieces that need some putty to clean up some holes in them.

I know there are a lot of people that dont like Studio kits because they are not 100% accurate but I would rather have them as a starting point and have the option to put in a little extra effort than not have anything at all. The price is an issue I know. But it just means I buy less kits each year to have the ones I want.

So enough with that...on to the build.

I will have another update later today and will keep the Ferrari going at the same time as this kit.

Overall I am very pleased with this kit and it looks like it with a little extra work it will build a very nice replica of the early 2007 Mclaren.

Thanks for looking!

Chris

Gooch
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Dave Sans
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Gooch »

Very nice start looking forward to what color you use for the body
Regards,
Dave

De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Germany

Post by De21 »

Great start, I will follow this one closely! I got the kit to and was only dissapointed with the panel lines, they are really crappy sorry :wink:

here's a pic
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben ... 303035.jpg

Does your kit look like this too? If yes what do you plan to do about it :wink:?

I don't know what S27 did there or most importantly why because the panel lines from their Sauber C24 for example look just perfect...

Topic author
builder77
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by builder77 »

Saint - Yes mine looks just like that.
I was very disappointed too.

I actually rescribed all the panel lines to try and clean them up.
I will post those pics so you an see.
Not all of them turned out like I wanted them...but I'm still working on them.

Chris

Topic author
builder77
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by builder77 »

Another update.
I started using CF decals on the suspension. The hard part is Studio molds everything together in once piece. Templates were made using tape and used on various Scale Motorsport carbon decals as well as Slixx carbon.

Thanks to billypee for help getting better pictures as well.
Thanks again for the tip!

Enjoy the pics.

I am going to replace the kit brakes with a set of Top Studio F1-2000 brakes set. They fit perfect and look great on the car.

Still working on the panel lines at this point, lots of work to do on them!

Chris

Romanee-Conti
F2
F2

Post by Romanee-Conti »

hi guys...

that´s what I´ve expected. Lousy quality for a lot of money. And my patience for a real good quality kit was quite right: Tameo will release the MP4/22...

By the way builder 77 - what kind of disc brakes these are ??

Cheers, Ivo.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Ivo,

Agree. I've just cancelled my order for an S27 4/22 and will get the SilverLine. Can't wait!

Topic author
builder77
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by builder77 »

Ivo - I understand why you would get the silverline kit. Tameo is doing a great job of filling that gap in kits at a decent price. The brakes are the Top Studio brakes.

Thanks

Chris

stuartmasson
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by stuartmasson »

Hilarious that you are using the Ferrari brakes. Maybe you could use the floor and rear wing too, since those were the other two areas specifically contained within the 780-page Ferrari dossier that Mike Coughlan had...

:lol: I'm so funny!

stuart

Topic author
builder77
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by builder77 »

Hmmm Stuart hadnt even thought of that! ':lol:'

Here is the update that includes cleaning the panel lines and adding some of the extra pieces to get ready for the chrome finish.

Here you can see were I had to use CA glue to clean up a mess I made when my knife slipped cleaning the panel lines.

I used the back of an Xacto blade (brand new) to clean the panel lines. I started with a photo etched blade but it was slipping and bending so I needed something more stable. I would drag the very tip back and forth both directions on a line to clean up the mess that is the Studio mold.

Here you can see one of the real trouble areas on the car. These panel lines around the head support are not very deep and need to be more detailed. After a single coat of primer the lines were already filled and hard to see. I plan to use thinned black or brown paint to bring out the panel lines and I need for them to be able to flow for this to work.

The wing support was added to the front of the nose using CA glue. Extra glue was added to both the right and left side to cause a puddle after the two pieces joined. A toothpick was used to spread the puddle evenly and the result after sanding and primer is a very clean looking contact point. With chrome paint going on the car I think every mistake will be easy to see so extra care is being taken now to get things looking right.

The back of the car requires some real work.
Pieces need extra bending, putty, styrene and more filler to get them the right size and shape to make it look correct. I didnt take pictures of all the work that was done because it would have slowed me down but I can tell you that parts M42 - M43 need some work as does M46. Again, I'm not complaining because at least I can build this car in 1/20th scale! I'll put in the extra work.

You can see I'm not done yet. There are still some gaps and areas that need fixed.

These '07 F1 cars really are good looking machines even before you get the final livery on them!

And a side view with more parts on the car.

And the front view.

I really hope to finish this kit in the next 3 weeks so keep the ideas and comments coming. They provide the motivation needed to keep pushing through the CF decals after hour and hours of the same thing over and over!!

Thanks again for looking.

Chris :lol: :lol: