WILLIAMS FW09 Dallas winner KAWAI+some more...

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

RE60B
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Cédric
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: RENAULT
France

Re: WILLIAMS FW09 Dallas winner KAWAI+some more...

Post by RE60B »

Hé Hééééééé! big big work in perspective! nice choice and unusual!!! (Other than Ferrari lotus mclaren ferrari mclaren lotus and... Mclaren lo... i stop)

KEEEEP ONNNNN!!!! :D :D :D :D

RIBBIT!

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

Today I did a first assembly test. And I have to say it could have been worse! :o
Not everything fits, but nothing is impossible ... :D

Image Image

Then I looked at the metal insert on the front suspension. Like James, I don't want to use this. It all doesn't really fit and later the plastic suspension can also be implemented better.

So I recreated the front box of the cockpit from sheets and added a front wall to it for stability.
I don't have any real pictures because that's where the brake fluid and clutch containers are located. But either they stand on the ground or have to be attached to a standing wall :?:

Image Image

In any case, the nose and the chassis fit together well for now.

Image Image

I also adjusted the cover, albeit involuntarily, :lol: but I would say that it fits better and the pins are no longer that big.
The initial situation was 2 pins from bottom to top in the cover, until I broke off one of them when putting them together! :(

Image Image
Last edited by steinietrabi on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings Thomas

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Very impressive work so far, really liking what you are doing.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Woooooow!!!! :D Just what I planned to do!!
Just a fast warning before you go on: lines on the photovucket pics are close but wrong, I'll try to post something like that this afternoon! 8)
Don't sand before it's too late!! :lol:
Excellent chassis front BTW!

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

JamesB wrote:Woooooow!!!! :D Just what I planned to do!!
Just a fast warning before you go on: lines on the photovucket pics are close but wrong, I'll try to post something like that this afternoon! 8)
Don't sand before it's too late!! :lol:
Excellent chassis front BTW!
Thanks guys! :)

I haven't sanded anything on the chassis yet. :wink:
I just drew a few lines and compared them with the pictures to get a better feeling and to plan how I will do it ... so it's not too late :D

What I did yesterday was cut off the front wing. But this had to go anyway, because it has to be moved further towards the nose! :lol:
Greetings Thomas

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Great!
Yep, that was the next I was going to say: wings out!! tey are wrongly placed, small (even more if we move them forward, so they're junk!) and misleading, as visually we may take reference to them and we should not.
So as you see nothing too sophisticated:

But we can see what has to be added to the body. On the nose, important: the area where we gotta remove stuff is just the detachable nose cone. The idea is givig it a rounded shape.
The idea is getting this:

Some pics I massed up:

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

First thanks for the pictures James! :)
From what book is the 1st picture from?

Next question is the yellow material modeling clay, putty or already some kind of resin? :?:

But now to the update for today.
Didn't work on the chassis today ...
I was more concerned with a few little things :D

I took a look at the dashboard. The instruments aren't really nice, so I sanded them down and drilled small holes for adding new ring elements. Decals can be applied here later. I'm also thinking about making the entire upper element as a 3D printed part in order to be able to attach the buttons and toggle switches better. But more on that later.

Image Image

I've finished the rims so far, a little reworking is also necessary for 3D printing ;) Especially with the small 0.3mm holes!
But it all fits together very well and should be able to be assembled properly even after painting.

I also added a few air valves to the rims. :D

Image Image

Then I opened the Naca ducts in the side panels. This was a quite easy thing.

Finally, a picture of the current condition of the nose. :lol:

Last edited by steinietrabi on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings Thomas

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

OK, before we start chopping and adding, we need to have good measurements.
I'll share my "hawkeye" tactics :lol: surely, first, find yourself a good picture.
verbi grata:
As I usually say, the shortest trip to an unaccurate model is holding it in front oc computer screen and checking if it matches :lol:
Let's use numbers! :D

OK, first thing I do is to open it with with P’shop. Now you have a tool that measures (no plastic ruler on the screen please!) so second thing is to scale it correctly.
From now on, I’ll talk in millimiters and 1/20th scale! OK, sometimes the real car, but you’ll notice. Also I’ll refer to cars of this year.
To scale a pic you need to take a KNOWN measure as reference. For these things, there’s nothing like rule fixed measures: width of car 215cm, front wing 150, body 140cm, rear wing 140cm-100cm, rear overhang 60cm…
Wheels are misleading (they appear ballooned under acceleration, and shrinked under barking) but rims are reasonably accurate: 17.8mm
OK, in this case for front wing I had 22. 83 units, I needed 75.0 , so I have to upscale the pic like:
75/22.83=3.28515  328.515%
Once done, I can see that front rims are 17.6, not bad. Rear wing is 65mm (should be 70), so the perspective factor for the car’s length is 70/65=107.69% That means that if I want to trust a measure, say, at half length of the car’s level (cockpit’s width, for instance), I’ll have to apply a 103.85% (mean between 100 and the 107.69).
As rims diameter looks OK, and I don’t have a trustable vertical reference, I can leave it as it is.
nevertheless I can compare with some vertical measure of MY model that I don’t plan t change.
OK, all this blah-blah leads to the fact that the nose tip is 7.3mm tall, 5.5 wide (that before some edge rounding).
ONE IMPORTANT thing: generally, a GOOD pic will give you two or three trustable measures. We should never force it to tell what it does not know.
In this case, we can write down some more numbers that will be indicative: total height at roll bar: 45mm (45.5 on the model: check!); sidepod height: 20mm (19.8 on the model: check!);windshield height: 33.5mm (32 on the model: check! I know I have to raise a bit);black area of chassis under cockpit: 20mm (21.5 on the model: so the body needs to grow to wrap the chassis a bit more);
Nose on the model is wider and taller. Buuuut!!! I seriously suspect the model nose is also a bit short, it should grow forward, what would make it naturally narrower and lower, so maybe no sanding needed. Jury is still out!
PS: Thomas, first pic of the other post is from GPI magazine! :wink:

dmarek
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Dave Marek
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda of course
James Hunt
United States of America

Post by dmarek »

Quick comment on: As I usually say, the shortest trip to an unaccurate model is holding it in front oc computer screen and checking if it matches :lol:
Let's use numbers! :D

I think numbers are the best starting point however proportion and scale are often manipulated to get the correct stance/feel. I believe MFH suffers from exact measurements and misses the nuance of scale impact. Anyway it seems as if it looks correct but actual measurement is a bit off is maybe not a bad thing. It's like doing a 1/4 scale clay with 17" wheels that look small but on the actual car look right.

Anyway as a Honda guy this car is always on my bench but never makes progress so thanks for the inspiration!!!

Dave

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

small update!
after some chopping, plastic, glue, and resin filling of nose and then some scalpel qnd sanding....

Eplanation tomorrow 8)