WILLIAMS FW09 Dallas winner KAWAI+some more...

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: WILLIAMS FW09 Dallas winner KAWAI+some more...

Post by JamesB »

Thanks for the answers! :D
I see both plans converge more or less. But hey it's a nice idea the cooperative mini-GB.
It works 8)
On with some pics, at Thomas' request focusing on the cockpit thing. It seems there were two different windshields, one "ligier/FW08" style, other more square.
On these pics I see evidences of both.

Also on the big Dallas pic (Keke getting out or in), I appreciate that squareness (relatively sure).
I'll try to do something more physical today! :lol:

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

As my good friend Cedric would say, Good evening everybody! :D
Here we have some progress.

As usual when I rush, I made some mistakes and had to print a spare repair sheet. Also some 1/43 Villota Aurora 1980 decals. Fancy someone? 8)
Tomorrow I'll try to glue some plastic.

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

@ James: @ James: The decals look good, I have to take a closer look at them tomorrow... ;) But what is still missing are a few details from the cockpit. And isn't that a Hewland gearbox, did it have the logo on the end cover?

So I filled the cockpit once. At first I didn't do anything else here.

Then I cut out all of the coolers. Only the tank is behind the cockpit. Here I also removed all the bars and stiffeners afterwards.

I have now closed the openings at the bottom of the tank. The top is also being redone. I will not use the kit part!

Since I had to know whether we have everything in the right place and whether the tank also fits in length, I disassembled the two engines and gearboxes of the FW07 and FW11 today.
Of course, none of this went off without damage. So drill holes again and partially set new positioning pins. But so far everything is possible.

Then I rebuilt the 3-cylinder engine - at least the chuckle. The length remained unchanged. We also need a little space for the piping on the front. :D

Behind it is the oil container and the holder of the FW07. Length unchanged here as well - cut off at the real transition immediately after the motor. The PE saw helped me 8)
I closed the recess at the front end and cut off the actual container, sanded and adjusted the connections.

Then comes the gearbox, this has been shortened in length on the rear side. A part of the shortened piece was then reinserted to restore the transition to the intermediate plate and the gear cover.

Image Image

I have no idea about the final part yet, this no longer fits because it looks different with the FW09 - but we will find a solution for it.

The mountings for the rear radiator can also be cut away on the intermediate gear plate; it is given a different position.
I also removed the brackets on the top of the gearbox. However, it works very badly and the lids no longer look so nice. Possibly. do I have to print new covers here. They would just look better than they are now.
The shape of the oil tank does not fit, either, here too the idea is to create a printing part.

The whole thing was important to see where the rear axles are now.
Actually, it looks pretty good. Possibly. has to be pushed forward a little more. 8)

Last edited by steinietrabi on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings Thomas

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Good!!! :D
My conclusion is that you can have a 3mm clearance between wheel vertical tangent and the sidepod wall edge. At mid heigth, not the chicken kail that protrudes rearwards!
I think I will remove 3-4mm from the spacer. There's no fully lateral pic that allows me my typical maths and say: fuel tank X, spacer Y.
On the pics it seems longish, but a bit shorter than the 07's so that'll be.
Important will be the height at which they meet (engine and spacer), as will determine ride heigth. It was some 3mm at this era. I will use FW07 tyres (also crcial for ride heigth). GY started using radials (lower) that year, but the 0, at least at Dallas, still had rather balloonish tyres.

fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Daniel Ricciardo.
Australia

Post by fastbackfreddie »

Hi guys,
Have been following this with interest, and admire what you are attempting to achieve here.
Hoping these pics I dug out for you both could come in handy. (Note offset steering wheel for ease of gear changing).
Keep up the great work - the world is watching. No pressure :lol:
Cheers Tim

Following pic credits to Rainer Schlegelmilch

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Wow!!! these are DA PICS!!! :D THX!!
Quick note, Thomas: sidepods panels are reversed: left is on the right and vice-versa!

Daryl_Huhtala
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Daryl Huhtala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gurney Stewart Andretti Clark Hill McLaren Hulme Villeneuve Fittipaldi
United States of America

Post by Daryl_Huhtala »

I'm really enjoying this cooperative effort! Good work you guys.
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Still a great thread!

Wiki says the FW09 wheel base is 2769mm so in 1/20 that should be 138.45mm.

Anyone fancy parting with a Kawai FW09 for a reasonable price?
The 'bay prices are crazy.
I would like to join in!

Malc.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yes, thanks. Though the trouble is that wheelbase changed during all season. Surely longer for the B car (narrow rear) but also with brick shaped version.
I have the impression that you can do an equally reasonable work starting from an FW07.
I wonder if there would be interest on resin parts just supplying the useful parts the kit has... :roll: certainly those trying to sell their Kawais would hate me! :lol: :lol:

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

JamesB wrote:Wow!!! these are DA PICS!!! :D THX!!
Quick note, Thomas: sidepods panels are reversed: left is on the right and vice-versa!
That just took me 30 minutes ...
5 to understand what you want. I just didn't see it in the beginning. :roll: :lol:
20 to remove the parts, they were already glued. :oops:
And 5 minutes to glue the panels back in :D :D
Oh man, I'm a donkey !! :mrgreen:
Greetings Thomas