Western Kits 1:43 Tyrrell P/34 Prototype

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Western Kits 1:43 Tyrrell P/34 Prototype

Post by dr_gn »

This is a kit I got from work for my birthday. It dates from about 1975, and represents the version of the car as initially shown to the press:

I remember a similar picture to this, but in colour, was in the cover of Motoring News:

Note the flat-topped rectangular side pods.

My Dad built one for me when it was first released:

I always fancied having another go at it, but I couldn’t bring myself to dis-assemble my dads efforts. So that was that...until Monday, when I got this for my birthday:

Complete, apart from the wheels, which have been made out of wood! and decals:

I can cast new wheels from resin using my originals. Indycals do an early P34 decal set, with the correct fluorescent yellow stripes, but without the “PROJECT/34” logos and number backgrounds. I’ll have to think about that one.

I always wondered why my dad painted it a blue that seems way too light. However, reading the instructions, it calls for “Austin Morris Tahiti Blue”, which is exactly what he used.

Plan is to build it in the spirit of the original, but with a few refinements like seatbelts, rear wheel nuts, plug leads and radiator mesh. I noticed that the front wheel viewing windows probably shouldn’t be there, but I’ll leave them in. It makes an interesting comparison with the state-of-the-art, like the Ferrari I also got as a gift:

https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=31222

Any reference images of this car - especially engine and cockpit (the seat in particular) would be much appreciated.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Western Kits 1:43 Tyrrell P/34 Prototype

Post by dr_gn »

Thought I’d make a start - at least getting the parts together I’ll need to build/improve it a bit.

Began by making a silicone mould for the wheels, using the old model items as a pattern:

I’ll make the other half with the resin feeds tomorrow.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Got the mould done:

...and salvaged one decent set from a combination of three casts which isn’t bad:

RcRacer
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
Great Britain

Post by RcRacer »

If you are struggling for decals you always purchase a sheet of decal print paper and make your own. If it the white oblong number square and the blue project 34 I would use white decal sheet and print the blue lettering in the shape of the number square, then you don't need a printer that can print white

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

RcRacer wrote:If you are struggling for decals you always purchase a sheet of decal print paper and make your own. If it the white oblong number square and the blue project 34 I would use white decal sheet and print the blue lettering in the shape of the number square, then you don't need a printer that can print white
Thanks - I think the main issue would be matching the white & opacity of the rectangles, with the white of the Elf decals, plus there is a white “Project/34” decal as well.