Tameo 1:43 Ferrari 156/85

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Tameo 1:43 Ferrari 156/85

Post by dr_gn »

Painted & fitted the fuel cell top plate, driver’s headrest, floor, and diffuser stays. The wing beam has to fit to the gearbox, align with the stays, and be square to the diffuser. So that’s going to be fun...

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I am amazed in awe! :shock: :D
BTW, what Tamiya vlear did you use? X22? decanted TS13?
Thanks
Keep going, thats great
J

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

JamesB wrote:I am amazed in awe! :shock: :D
BTW, what Tamiya vlear did you use? X22? decanted TS13?
Thanks
Keep going, thats great
J
Thanks! It was X-22.

It took some time to harden, and I think I could have flatted it a bit more, but it's always a risk if you flat throught it completely - then the decals are potentially scrap as well as the paint.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thanks! :D It looks great but yes, digging too much at this scale is risky. Result is fantastic and you easily forget is small scale when looking, looks bigger. What thinner did you use? I've tried the yellow cap one and I like it. :D

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

JamesB wrote:Thanks! :D It looks great but yes, digging too much at this scale is risky. Result is fantastic and you easily forget is small scale when looking, looks bigger. What thinner did you use? I've tried the yellow cap one and I like it. :D
Just the normal X-20. I didn't know there was another type?

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

dr_gn wrote:
JamesB wrote:Thanks! :D It looks great but yes, digging too much at this scale is risky. Result is fantastic and you easily forget is small scale when looking, looks bigger. What thinner did you use? I've tried the yellow cap one and I like it. :D
Yep. That's a relatively new cliche: "X acrylic tinlets are not really acrylic but lacquers, and if you use the lacquerthinner by Tamiya (see pic), they are easier to use and harden better and sooner"
Try it, it works! :D

Some already did:

https://www.reddit.com/r/modelmakers/co ... r_vs_x20a/

https://www.reddit.com/r/modelmakers/co ... r_thinner/

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

JamesB wrote:
dr_gn wrote:
Yep. That's a relatively new cliche: "X acrylic tinlets are not really acrylic but lacquers, and if you use the lacquerthinner by Tamiya (see pic), they are easier to use and harden better and sooner"
Try it, it works! :D

Some already did:

https://www.reddit.com/r/modelmakers/co ... r_vs_x20a/

https://www.reddit.com/r/modelmakers/co ... r_thinner/
Ill have a look out for that, although I'm always wary about solving one issue and finding another...

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Front suspension pull-rods and wing inserts fitted, and the driver’s medical air pipe. There can’t be much more to do; things keep appearing out of the box that I’d forgotten about...

Vac-formed windscreen fitted with PVA. Finished the roll hoop, but I’m not very happy with it - the Italian stripes along the bottom are printed too short, and lengthening them with spare decal didn’t really work. I’ll strip it and start again. Might try polishing the metal rather than painting it next time.

Steering rack outer joints fitted (slightly out of scale I think, but I’ll let it go this time), and track rods installed.

The roll hoop looks better polished than painted. Fitted the decals the best I could, and added the fire extinguisher hook loop. Also fitted the rear jack bracket, and made some covers for the diffuser stay holes.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Wheel fitting. Going to leave it a few hours for the Araldite to set. If it’s wrong this time I’ll go back to making paper ships...

I thought this plate was to take the self-weight of the model off the suspension arms, but they are actually very strong and easily up to the job. I think it’s intended to be used only if you’re screwing the model to a base. I might use it just to locate the car on its base, to stop it accidentally getting knocked off:

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

It seems to have worked OK, although the spacer plate needs thinning a bit.

I’m going to add some body fasteners using 0.4 mm Top Studio rivet heads. I’ve toned them down with a matt coat; they looked a bit bling at this scale:

The body fasteners are right on the limit for being over-sized in terms of thickness. The real ones were quite prominent though, so I’ll leave them on. Only PVA’d in place so no harm done either way: