View topic - Tamiya 1/12 McLaren MP4/6 w/ upgrades

Tamiya 1/12 McLaren MP4/6 w/ upgrades

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Re: Tamiya 1/12 McLaren MP4/6 w/ upgrades

Postby Jose01jr » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 pm

Here is the company where I got the springs. It’s the correct i.d. and o.d all you have to do is cut it to the correct length and belt sand the ends so the sit nice on the spring perch. In this pic you can see the difference between Tamiya Top Studio and the stiffer ones from Jones Spring Co.

Working on the front shocks (dampers) added aeon rubber (orange) packer (white) and bump adjuster to the shock body. The spring on the shock absorber is the one from TS and will use those for the fronts and stiffer ones from JS for the rear which I already had installed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jose01jr
Formula e
Formula e

Postby dr_gn » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:09 am

Chinamalc wrote:
dr_gn wrote:Could you tell me where you got the thicker springs from please? I’ve tried to make my own out of lead wire, but getting the machined ends right is very difficult. Also tried dipping them in paint multiple times, but that’s not right either. Thanks.

I use copper wire, it comes in many thicknesses and can also be stripped from electrical cable, its stiffer than lead wire and the end can easily be filed flat while it is still on the mandrel. I close up the end coil and file it so it makes a flat base for the spring to sit on.
Painting is easy with spray brush, just gotta move it round so you cover all sides.

You can see my copper springs in my Ligier thread

Malc.

Thanks Malc.
dr_gn
Midfield
Midfield

Favorite F1 Team: Jordan

Postby Jose01jr » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:39 pm

Progress on the shock area of the tub. Used upgrades from Thunder Valley courtesy of Paul. Really adds realism to that part of the tub.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jose01jr
Formula e
Formula e

Postby Jose01jr » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:36 am

I worked on the cockpit over the weekend. As you can see I cut half of the backside as I said before. The other half of the backside was glued to the tub and added putty and sanded to make it look like a one piece. The seam where I cut it will be covered by the seat. All the detail in the cockpit is courtesy of the TS upgrade kit. I used CF for the panels as you can see in the picture.
Jose01jr
Formula e
Formula e

Previous

Return to Work in Progress