Ebbro McLaren MP4/30 Japan GP

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
coen_ng
Spectator
Spectator

Ebbro McLaren MP4/30 Japan GP

Post by coen_ng »

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and this is my first post although I did use some WIP topics for reference I never created an account to post anything up until now because I've got a question..

But first things first, is there a section where I could introduce myself so you guys would know what my interest are and experience regarding scale modeling? If no, I will post it briefly here in this threat.

On topic: currently I'm building a MP4/30 Japan Edition from Ebbro. Besides the kit of Ebbro I also purchased some PE Parts from Studio 27 like the exhaust tip, driveshafts. Carbon decals are on the way from the US. Extra decals (Johnnie Walker) are already in.

I don't have many pictures taken or anything to create an extensive WIP Threat though.. So you have to do with the following images. Sorry for the bad quality, I'll try to upload these pictures somewhere else next time where the quality hopefully will be kept better.
DSC_2030_R10.jpg
DSC_2036_R10.jpg
Done so far:
-A lot of sanding (tried to delete all the molding holes (?) and seams which are not on the real car)
-Sprayed a few layers of white primer (Tamiya can) on the body parts
-Sprayed a few layers of flat black on the suspension parts/floor (will be have carbon decals later)
-Burned the exhaust and started to make a piece to attach the exhaust to the gearbox (as close as possible to the original measurements of Ebbro)

I'll elaborate more on a few things (I'm quite in a hurry because I'm in the middle of my working day ;)) like complete list of parts, tools and paints used, problems I've experienced, etc.

So, about a week ago I started with painting the body. This is the first time I used a Airbrush and I do have to say I bought the cheapest combination I could find.. I know there is a lot of disscussion about the actual color of the MP4/30, MP4/31 etc. So, naturally I want to chip in into this discussion.. ;)

Due to ordering the paint in a hurry I think I could have made a mistake.. I've ordered myself a bottle of Zero Paints "McLaren Graphite Grey" (ZP-1570) and after I sprayed a few layer I found out there is actual a bottle "Graphite Grey McLaren MP4/30" (ZP-1333).. Like a lot of builders I'm wondering if the ZP is not to greyish for the real color? I do know that the MP4/30 looks black on video etc. but if you look at pictures in certain sunlight it is more anthracite grey.

My question is: is there difference between the ZP-1570 and ZP-1333? Is the ZP-1333 darker then the ZP-1570? I already sent Zero Paints an email (a few days ago) but haven't received a response yet. And sorry, I'm bit of an impatient person (not a good characteristic for model building..) so I couldn't wait to ask this question here also..

I planned to spray some gloss clear of Mr Hobby this evening to see if this will help to darken the color a bit. I'll also try to post some pictures of the model in current state (sprayed with 3/4 layers of ZP-1570).

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Re: Ebbro McLaren MP4/30 Japan GP

Post by Tyrone »

I have a bottle of the 1333 and also a bottle of the anthracite supposed to be used on the mp4/12 to mp4/20 and they do look slightly different colours, but from what i've heard the paint looks a lot darker when the gloss coat is applied.

tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Re: Ebbro McLaren MP4/30 Japan GP

Post by tubegenius »

There is a thread entitled "what do you do for a living, when you're not building models?" that would be great to introduce yourself and describe your interests.