1993 Mclaren MP4/8 - European GP

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: 1993 Mclaren MP4/8 - European GP

Post by CaptainMark »

Awesome work on the driver, it'll make for an interesting difference from a normal build!
Image Image

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

daveyman wrote:The heat really does make the difference. Apply the micro sol, let it start to soften the decal and then apply heat. Not too much tho!!! I then reapply Microsol and leave it for a bit. Repeat the process until you are happy with the result.
I still have one wrinkle, but that's okay. It's at the back of the helmet and it wont be seen from the angle I intend to display. FYI, the microsol and mid day sun approach worked.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

CaptainMark wrote:Awesome work on the driver, it'll make for an interesting difference from a normal build!
Thanks! Those kind words give me a boost in confidence. :)

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

Hoping to prime and get the first layer of paint on this weekend. However I’m not sure of the best primer to use. I have some Tamiya grey but afraid it will turn the white and red/orange too dark. I also have a can of cheap white primer but I’m afraid it will be too “grainy”. Thoughts and/or tips? Remember I’m not using an airbrush.

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

tehSAC wrote:Hoping to prime and get the first layer of paint on this weekend. However I’m not sure of the best primer to use. I have some Tamiya grey but afraid it will turn the white and red/orange too dark. I also have a can of cheap white primer but I’m afraid it will be too “grainy”. Thoughts and/or tips? Remember I’m not using an airbrush.
For cars that have white areas in the final livery i only use tamiya white primer, in my opinion it gives the nicest white, when you use grey you have to put a lot of white over it to get full cover and pure white.
Oh and look out with cheap (non tested) primers, i did that in the past also and when i tried to pull the masking tape off.. off came the paint (and primer).., no adhesion at all. So I've learned from my mistakes.., stay with a proven paint method/system. saves you a lot of sh.t.

Good luck and i'm looking forward to see some progress :D

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

Hein wrote:
tehSAC wrote:Hoping to prime and get the first layer of paint on this weekend. However I’m not sure of the best primer to use. I have some Tamiya grey but afraid it will turn the white and red/orange too dark. I also have a can of cheap white primer but I’m afraid it will be too “grainy”. Thoughts and/or tips? Remember I’m not using an airbrush.
For cars that have white areas in the final livery i only use tamiya white primer, in my opinion it gives the nicest white, when you use grey you have to put a lot of white over it to get full cover and pure white.
Oh and look out with cheap (non tested) primers, i did that in the past also and when i tried to pull the masking tape off.. off came the paint (and primer).., no adhesion at all. So I've learned from my mistakes.., stay with a proven paint method/system. saves you a lot of sh.t.

Good luck and i'm looking forward to see some progress :D
Thanks for your reply. I figured as much with the gray and cheap primers. I need to see if I can find some Tamiya White. Maybe I won't be painting this weekend. :shrug:

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

Haven’t had a lot of time to work on the McLaren. Still waiting on some items to show up from Australia. Decided to do some detailing under the cowling even if no one will see it. I test fit the engine just for shits and giggles tonight. I might fill in the molding markings on the floor with some putty but may just get lazy and pass over it. We will see in time.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

As far as my Mclaren progress. Not much further but did start wiring and painted the exhaust. Wiring is an experiment/practice for future models. The coloring isn’t right but that doesn’t matter the cowling won’t be removed for display.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

With the priming, I find it works well to ALWAYS apply a first coat of grey primer, I use Halfords, UK, automotive primer to seal the plastic. I then apply two light costs of Halfords white primer to give me a blank canvass to start painting onto. Paint build up has never been a problem for me as long as you apply light coats. Always sand back and wash between applications.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

daveyman wrote:With the priming, I find it works well to ALWAYS apply a first coat of grey primer, I use Halfords, UK, automotive primer to seal the plastic. I then apply two light costs of Halfords white primer to give me a blank canvass to start painting onto. Paint build up has never been a problem for me as long as you apply light coats. Always sand back and wash between applications.
Thanks for the tips. Always looking for multiple ways to do things.

Now here is a question for the rest of you. The model instructions call out for inside the tub and under the cowling to be painted black. What is the best way to go about doing this? Paint black first, then tape off for the white/orange/red? Or should I do vice vera? Should I just paint the area of the cockpit where it would be visible or would you see a change in tint of the white in those areas?