1993 Mclaren MP4/8 - European GP

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: 1993 Mclaren MP4/8 - European GP

Post by tehSAC »

GF-F1 wrote:hello Paul,

it looks good.

Cheers

Franck
http://www.gf-models.eu
Thank you. I'm just trying to live up to your work.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

Had a little time to work on it this evening and I’m feeling a little better about it. Again not an expert but proud of where I have come from. The first go through looked absolutely awful. Flag is hand painted too, and needs a matte coat. Going to work on the helmet a bit more tonight, then on to the actual car. Still waiting on some decals and PE parts to get in from Australia.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

I started with decals on the Senna figure last tonight. I have at least 3 different sets of decals to help piece this together. Some patches and sorts won’t be seen cause of the belts. The main sponsor on his lower torso had to be cut into three pieces. The middle one has been over cut and coated like hell in microsol. Going to trim off the excess once it’s set and dry in a couple days. It’s not perfect but I can’t say I didn’t pay myself on the back a bit. Haha. The helmet should get started on soon. Still working on a few details and waiting on a decal for the visor.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

So today I had a few hours to myself to mess around with the helmet stripes. OMFG what a frustrating 2 hours trying to get them to set. I got the lower blue stripe to set finally and gave up on the upper green stripe. This evening I gave it another go, with a new decal and got it to line up better but still a few issues. Hoping the microsol will help it set properly. Gonna revisit tomorrow evening.

As for the figure, it’s pretty much complete other than assembly. Honestly it’s not the best finish, but the body will be hidden mostly. I’m happy with it as it’s way outside of my comfort zone and something I’ve never attempted before.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

Started body prep today. I will be making this a curb side kit.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Looks great, the decals are bringing it to life. The flag looks stunning.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

Shunter wrote:Looks great, the decals are bringing it to life. The flag looks stunning.
Thank you. Decals have been enjoyable except for the helmet to be honest. Those curved surfaces are not my friend.

Thanks the flag was something I wasn’t too confident with but it turned out pretty good. Thanks for the kind words. Hope to finish the figure tomorrow. We will see.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

For the helmet decals, keep applying micro sol and use a hairdryer. It should help them settle.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

daveyman wrote:For the helmet decals, keep applying micro sol and use a hairdryer. It should help them settle.
Well I might have to go out and buy a hair dryer. Might try to coat it and put it out in the sun today.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

The heat really does make the difference. Apply the micro sol, let it start to soften the decal and then apply heat. Not too much tho!!! I then reapply Microsol and leave it for a bit. Repeat the process until you are happy with the result.