McLaren MP4/4 "My Biggest Project" 1:8

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
senninha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

McLaren MP4/4 "My Biggest Project" 1:8

Post by senninha »

Hello modelers,

after finishing my MP4/5b I started a new project. As you can read in the title this will be my biggest project. Senna 1st title car the legendary MP4/4. The kit is from Kyosho. I started with the engine. Though I received some good progress during the last 3 weeks there is still a lot to do. Due to the big scale you can do a lot of detailing and yes I will do everything I'm able to.
The most time consuming thing was to achieve a realistic look of the air intake on the top of the motor. The special structure was not easy to achieve but im satisfied. After that I worked on the engine in general and added the first details, like the small springs in front of the air intake and drilling some holes for the rivets. Also I finished the exhausts I love this glowing look, it looks a bit too much on the photos but in real it is a match. Maybe there will be a bit washing to filter the glowing effect a little bit. A bit of carbon work was also done, I hate to carbonize brake ducts but now its finished.

Lets have a look to the pictures:

thx for watching
Last edited by senninha on Mon May 04, 2020 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: McLaren MP4/4 "My Biggest Project" 1:8

Post by gp-models »

Amazing start on this huge monster, the exhaust is looking great, i would not do changings on that, looks perfect! :)
Still bookmarked this build, will be following with interest! :D
Take a stand!

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

I’ve been waiting a while for someone to do a WiP on this big kit. Will be watching this one. Great progress so far. Leave those exhaust pipes just like they are.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

this is going to be good, subscribed!

Topic author
senninha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by senninha »

thank you very much guys, especially to gp-models. He supported me with 64MB of reference pics and that helps a lot.

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Great start on this monster. I will be watching this WIP to see all the great detail that can be added.

Jordan

f40
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by f40 »

Very nice. Love the exhaust pipes

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

senninha wrote:thank you very much guys, especially to gp-models. He supported me with 64MB of reference pics and that helps a lot.

Happy that i could help a bit on this one, a big thank you for supporting myself with the instructions you send me, a big help to me too! :)
Looking forward to your progress, the result will be spectecular i bet!
Take a stand!

Eagle
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All American Racers
United States of America

Post by Eagle »

Superb work on the carbon fiber for the turbo and brake ducts, it is sooooo hard to get the decals to conform to the compound curves. Wonder why no-one ever produced a high detail kit for this model; Seanmain had talked about it a while back. Qualitywise it is the best of all the subscription kits, the paint quality is like glass, no orange peel, dust, etc that one encounters in other subscription kits.

Topic author
senninha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by senninha »

The paint quality on mine was ok, but there was dust in some areas. The problem is, that the cowling consists of 4 parts. So you see big lines and it looks like revell junior kit. Concerning that you have the brush the cowling again after sanding and sanding to reach a smooth surface. Another „show stopper“ is the material you can‘t removing the paint with for example dowanol. In this context the paint is like glass :)
So have to remove it with sanding paper. NeverthelessThe overall quality is very good