Tamiya 1/12 Mclaren M23

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Tamiya 1/12 Mclaren M23

Post by WardsModelBuilder »

Hi all, this is going to be the build thread for my new commission project. A Tamiya 1/12 Mclaren M23

The build is going to include quite extensive detailing, especially around the engine with all the rubber hoses included in the kit replaced with braided hoses and aftermarket connections.

I have made an initial start on the project, putting together the tub which was painted in Alclad II polished Aluminum. Regular aluminum for the gear lever. I have also added some thin modeling tin on the floor of the tub for a little contrast.

The seatbelts are standard from the kit as are the PH fitting.

Very early stages of this one but I hope to have some further updates very soon.

Thanks
Chris
www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

Lloyd
F2
F2

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Mclaren M23

Post by Lloyd »

Nice !

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I started one of these some time ago then got tripped up by the ignition hoses Tamiya wanted to pass off as wires. Watching to see what you do.

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Little update for you on the progress of the M23. I got the lower half of the body work cleared, wet sanded and polished which then allowed me to start the front end suspension, which is going together well. Next step is to build the bottom wishbones and hubs. Going to run a brake line along the bottom wishbone attached with some zip straps for extra detailing.

I have added some lines from the cylinders for a little extra detailing.

Also I have made a start on the upper half of the body. Primed and painted, still to be clear coated.

Thanks
Chris
http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com

Jordan2.0
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Belgium

Post by Jordan2.0 »

Are you gonna keep those ugly oversized nose fasteners ?

Alex.

Jordan2.0
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Belgium

Post by Jordan2.0 »

Jordan2.0 wrote:Are you gonna keep those ugly oversized nose fasteners ? I am working on a Hailwood '74 and removed them..

Alex.
Attachments
IMG_5799.jpeg

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Hello everyone, hope you are all well and staying safe. Here is a progress report on the Tamiya Mclaren M23 build.

The front end chassis/suspension is just about finished now. I added two brake lines running on the lower wishbones attached with a couple of MFH zip clips. The nose frame is attached and I've added some further detailed wiring to the battery. I've gone with kit instructions for positioning of the battery, rather than what I believe was the historically correct position as I just prefer it this way.

Now the front end is complete I've started to work on the engine and gearbox, painting them and using line paint to highlight the lower areas. These will go together next then the rear suspension will be built off those. I've repainted the engine trumpet stacks and roll hoop in alclad chrome and polished aluminum as the pre chromed kit pieces just didn't look very good. The plug wiring and clear tubes are both from the kit, these will be the only kit parts used around the engine for plumbing/detailing.

That's all the works up to date, hopefully in the next batch of photos I will have the rear end finished.

Thanks
Chris

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Here is the next update on the M23 project. Moving along pretty nicely and getting close to the end.

Engine is now finished with kit tubing parts, trumpets have been repainted in Alclad II chrome over gloss black. All that is left are the exhausts which i'm currently working on, quite a lot of mould lines on those parts which need to be removed.

The rear suspension has been added to the gearbox, along with the rear brake discs and drive shafts. I've added some Top Studio hose fitting to the rear radiators which will have braided hose replacing the kit tubing here.

Looking forward to getting the gearbox and engine together and attached to the chassis so final detailing of plumbing and wiring can begin, maybe not so close to the end after all!!!!!

I have the final bodywork pieces in prime, so next update will have those finished and then the decals can go on which should really bring it to life. Im really enjoying this one, its a great kit, a little tricky in places but i would highly recommend it.

All for now.

Thanks
Chris

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Here are some further progress photos on the commission M23 build.

Gearbox, engine and chassis all together now, with some detailing started.

Further detailing to be done, and general tidying up, still WIP but getting there.

Chris

Jordan2.0
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Belgium

Post by Jordan2.0 »

What about the decals ? how you gonna clearcoat them now everything is already fixed ..

Alex.