Leyton House CG 901B

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: Leyton House CG 901B

Post by CaptainMark »

The CF decals and overall detail is looking awesome so far, very well done! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Image Image

Topic author
wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Larry Osolkowski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull, Max Verstappen
United States of America

Post by wadny »

Thanks for the comments, guys! It helps keep my motivation up to finish this thing. The paint I used is the Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue, decanted to a bottle and airbrushed. It airbrushes really well. I shot it over Alclad light grey primer with no problems.

aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by aracefan »

wadny wrote:Thanks for the comments, guys! It helps keep my motivation up to finish this thing. The paint I used is the Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue, decanted to a bottle and airbrushed. It airbrushes really well. I shot it over Alclad light grey primer with no problems.
Awesome!! That's exactly what I'm gonna do - I just decanted some TS spray the first time about a month ago to spray the Ducati MotoGP bike I did.
I'll probably spray it over Tamiya White primer... may do a test with the white and the gray and decide which one - as that's the only two primers I have at the moment.

And again, thank you so much for sharing your build and including the tips and techniques that you're using. Very helpful!
I'm going to try to do the CF (scale motorsport stuff though) to some of the parts as I can't find the S27 CF sheet for a reasonable price.
But after seeing the job you're doing I'm going to attempt to add some CF, not the level you are, but some accent stuff... maybe I'll do a build thread. :mrgreen:

Take care Mr. Wadny, and look forward to more updates. :)

tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

I am in awe of your skills sir. Beautiful work so far!

Topic author
wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by wadny »

aracefan wrote:
wadny wrote:Thanks for the comments, guys! It helps keep my motivation up to finish this thing. The paint I used is the Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue, decanted to a bottle and airbrushed. It airbrushes really well. I shot it over Alclad light grey primer with no problems.
Awesome!! That's exactly what I'm gonna do - I just decanted some TS spray the first time about a month ago to spray the Ducati MotoGP bike I did.
I'll probably spray it over Tamiya White primer... may do a test with the white and the gray and decide which one - as that's the only two primers I have at the moment.

And again, thank you so much for sharing your build and including the tips and techniques that you're using. Very helpful!
I'm going to try to do the CF (scale motorsport stuff though) to some of the parts as I can't find the S27 CF sheet for a reasonable price.
But after seeing the job you're doing I'm going to attempt to add some CF, not the level you are, but some accent stuff... maybe I'll do a build thread. :mrgreen:

Take care Mr. Wadny, and look forward to more updates. :)
From my experience, the Scale Motorsports CF decals are actually a lot easier to apply than the S27 stuff. Microscale set and soft solutions (the blue and red bottles) will soften them up and snug them down very nicely, although they are a little more fragile than the S27 decals. I also usually use white primer for lighter colors, but the TS-41 seems to cover really well. Thanks again for the comments, and good luck with your builds.

Topic author
wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by wadny »

Here's a brief update. I finished the front wing. I clear-coated and polished the end plates, and used gel CA glue to attach them to the wing. If you haven't seen them before, the polishing sticks from Scale Motorsports are really good for polishing small parts with complex shapes.

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

ZTony8 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the only 1/20th scale F1 kit that Tamiya hasn't reissued? I wonder why. Licensing issues? Lack of demand? Leyton House's business failure? Anyway- glad to see a fresh build of this kit. I have two unbuilt, one with a S27 decal set. I
l'll follow this build with interest.
Lack of demand...I don't think. I speak for myself but at the time I bought mine if I knew that it'd be so hard to buy later on, I'd grab the whole stock from the vendor! I hope they will reissue this one very soon, I love the Leyton House, colors are stunning.

Going back to this build, it's awesome, I love the carbon all over the place, really nice and clean build, and thanks for the tip about using S27 carbon decals. I found out just recently that hair dryer helps a lot with decals. Can't wait to see it finished. Will you display it with cowling off?
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Loving the front wing, well saved with the breakage. Looking very nice.

aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by aracefan »

Front wing looks the business, wadny!! Was wondering about this one... I have started my Leyton House but it isn't anywhere near your level.

I am trying to do some of the CF stuff though, but it's taking awhile to do as I'm using scale motorsport sheets and have to make templates for everything!! :lol:
Am thoroughly enjoying this build though!

dlphnfn
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Walter Wolf Racing
United States of America

Post by dlphnfn »

Looks awesome! Keep up the good work!