Factory TZ - Tyrrell Ford 018 - 2nd build

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Factory TZ - Tyrrell Ford 018 - 2nd build

Post by Steffen_T »

I know, I have started two WIP threads already, but with all the selling currently going on, I think it is okay to add a bit more building to the forum. :wink:

Here is FactoryTZ's Tyrrell 018 from 1989 and 1990.
I already build this car a few years ago in the blue and yellow Camel livery. Back then I had a hard time to decide which version I want to build as I also like the all-blue car.

The car is also available by studio27 and ACE, but as I fear the propotions of these two might be different to that of FactoryTZ's 018 I did not care to get another one.
Last year Lezdep offered this kit for sale and I took this chance to get my second 018. With the expirience of my previous 018 build, I consider this to be a quick built.

This time I will build Jonathan Palmer's car from the 1989 San Marino Grand Prix. It was the first race for the new 018 and Palmer finished it in sixth place.
Credits: LAT Images

At this stage I have already prepared all the parts for primer.

The cars body already has received it's first layer of primer. The airbox and the duct for the gearbox radiator have been opened.

The rearwing of this kit is the most difficult part. It is a high downforce version which seems to represent the wing used at Phoenix 1990.

Instead of using this wing I decided to modify a Tyrrell 020 rearwing.
The wing used at San Marino seems to be the same as being used at France. So I used this picture from the French Grand Prix and resized it until it had the same size as the #4 decal from the kit (It worked!!!).
Credits: LAT Images

The endplates were cutted according to rearwing sizes on the picture. I also had to shorten the main element a bit and also added a bit of putty.

The preparations are finished. Now I have to wait for the cold weather being over, before I can continue with the paint.

A bit of Topic:
I always wondered about the origin of Tyrrells 1990 paintjob until I recently learned that Tyrrell almost got a sponsorship contract with Rothmans for the 1990 season and even prepared a 018 with Rothmans logo's!
Credits: unracedf1.com

After the deal failed, they went on using the paintjob for the whole season!
You can read more about that deal here.

Thank you for watching.
I hope you enjoyed the read so far.

jorgeralvear
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Jorge Alvear
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Kimi/Ferrari
Chile

Re: Factory TZ - Tyrrell Ford 018 - 2nd build

Post by jorgeralvear »

You’re off to a great start, smart idea to modify the other Tyrrell wing to make the shape you need for the 018. Looking forward to seeing your progress with the build and the paint. Thanks for posting!

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Absolutely love the 018. Especially in the all blue livery. Have made the car as raced in France with Camel yellow added but I'd love another go and build the Monaco car. Will be watching this WIP with interest...

Lunokhod
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: REDBULL
Japan

Post by Lunokhod »

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Really happy to see it's being built. Great progress !

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

Just a short update:

By now the 018 has received it's color and decals:

Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

How is the quality of the tz kit? I'm still looking for a 018 but not sure which brand to pick

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

I would go for a more recent kit. I think the tz 018 was released in the mid 1990's and was originally intended to represent the 1990 US Grand Prix, because Factory TZ was a Japanese company and probably was interested in doing a Satoru Nakajima version, who drove for Tyrrell in 1990. And the best result for the 018 also came in 1990 with Alesi being second in the US. The configuration of the modell only fits to that race. For every other version, you have to modify it a bit.

I got my first TZ 018 in 2000 or 2001 VERY cheap, and back then no other company released this car. As I don't want to have this car by different manufactures I picked up a second kit thanks to Lezdep. Otherwise, I would have taken the studio27 kit. There was also a kit available by ACE, but as I have their Brabham BT58 I have some concerns about this company. But I might be wrong here. IIRC Daveyman has build the ACE kit of the 018.

Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

Might get a tz one then, i can get one for a good price (i think) i've seen David's build of the bt58 from ace and he's done An amazing job with it! I'm not sure i can pull off something like that tho.
Thanks for the info!

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Hey Steffen. Good memory, yes I did build the ACE Tyrrell 018. It was before I was adding anything on the forum so I can't link back to a WIP but I'll take some pics and post. I need to shoot some pictures of my Benetton B190 that is almost finished.
The ACE Tyrrell was good, seemed accurate on shape, fit was OK. Slight issue with the rear suspension but nothing major. Decals were the worst part, overly thick and not liking settling down but it finished OK. I'm sure Studio 27 decals would be better.
Don't get me started on the Brabham tho, not the greatest kit but very proud of my result.
I'm watching this build with great interest, the 018 is a beautiful looking car, especially in all blue.