Heller Ligier JS11 1/12 - update 01 May

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Heller Ligier JS11 1/12

Post by gp-models »

Nice detail work, like it!
Yes, nothing is dead till it is burried! There is allways a way to put out a nice looking model, only question is: Do you want to put in all of that work and makes it sence!
Personaly i like these "Mission impossible" builds, you can learn a lot when doing such models!
Take a stand!

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

Chinamalc wrote:Hi Indygp2001,

Thanks for your comments, for sure this is not a modern Tamiya shake and bake kit, but as others have shown, it can be made from the box in to an attractive model. – Assuming you have the hard plastic tyres! If not try the replacements from JamesB or Icon Automotive.

There are much, much, much worse 1/12 F1 kits out there!!! (a certain 1/12 Ferrari 1512 springs to mind).

Think of it as a product of its time (first released in 1979) and it was Hellers first go at a 1/12 F1 car, make it OOB as kerbside and it’s a nice kit.
Why not give it a go? Sounds like you have nothing to loose!

Malc.
My sanity...that is what I would loose! - I can't believe it's been that far back since this kit was released by Heller...
I just know that I purchased it when it was available, and probably from the very Hobby shop I worked in.
At the time, there were very few 1/12 scale kits available - so I jumped on this one (OOPS!) when it showed up on the shelf - I could have used that money to take my girlfriend to a Cheap Trick concert or something like that....but NOOOOOOOOOOO!, I had to have that piece of plastic Poo...'don't ask why I've kept it for so long....perhaps for the big Bonfire!

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

This is next-level scartchbuilding. Very impressive, especially that brake stuff.

Modelbautony
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Modelbautony »

I'm in the thick of this model too. Must admit I haven't gone quite as deep as you have with corrections but I'm keen to get it to some semblance of accuracy. My main problem/worry is the exhaust system - it just will NOT FIT. Have you tackled this?

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Modelbautony wrote:I'm in the thick of this model too. Must admit I haven't gone quite as deep as you have with corrections but I'm keen to get it to some semblance of accuracy. My main problem/worry is the exhaust system - it just will NOT FIT. Have you tackled this?
Hi Tony,
I have not fitted the exhaust on with the bodywork yet. After I had figured out where each header went, I have had no problems fitting the exhaust to the engine and rear beam, but the instructions for the location of each header pipe are very vague! I use bluetack to hold all the headers in the right place for dry fitting.

Can you explain a bit more about the problem you have?

Malc.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Chinamalc wrote: Can you explain a bit more about the problem you have?

Malc.
I'd bet he means the exhausts "shoulders" (where the big bend is) sit too high. And I supose if you lower the whole thing, forcing the attachments, you'll hit trouble matching the 4 in 1 joint with the two final pipes...
PS:
Malcolm, I see you also corrected the rear uprights. Anyway I strongly recommend to use my resin ones: I carefully accurized them in terms of shape and, most of all, Heller ones won't fit into my smaller 13' rims ;-) that's mainly why I corrected them :lol: I'm too lazy to do if they had fit!!! :lol:

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

JamesB wrote: PS: I see you also corrected the rear uprights. Anyway I strongly recommend to use my resin ones: I carefully accurized them in terms of shape and, most of all, Heller ones won't fit into my smaller 13' rims ;-) that's mainly why I corrected them :lol: I'm too lazy to do if they had fit!!! :lol:
Yes I know - You need to wait for the next update!!

M.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Chinamalc wrote:
Modelbautony wrote:I'm in the thick of this model too. Must admit I haven't gone quite as deep as you have with corrections but I'm keen to get it to some semblance of accuracy. My main problem/worry is the exhaust system - it just will NOT FIT. Have you tackled this?
Hi Tony,
I have not fitted the exhaust on with the bodywork yet. After I had figured out where each header went, I have had no problems fitting the exhaust to the engine and rear beam, but the instructions for the location of each header pipe are very vague! I use bluetack to hold all the headers in the right place for dry fitting.

Can you explain a bit more about the problem you have?

Malc.
Hi Tony,
Following reading your post and having panicked slightly, I rushed to the workshop and had a play, the short story is that they fit OK. BUT, you have to get each one in the right hole of the exhaust collector (where the 4 headers come in to 1). I thought ahead and only cut the RH bank header off the sprues so I knew which part number was which by comparing to the LH parts on the sprues, here is a picture of the part numbers so were all talking about the same parts
JS11 exh part numbers.jpg
next where they go
IMG_5853.JPG
and RH bank, the first two headers assembled on the engine
JS11 exh fit 01.jpg
third one
JS11 exh fit 02.jpg
and the final one
JS11 exh fit 03.jpg
Cont'd in next post
Last edited by Chinamalc on Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

So bearing in mind everything is just dry fit and held in place with blutak, luck and gravity, here are some pics of the engine/body/exhaust assembly
IMG_5841.JPG
IMG_5842.JPG
IMG_5843.JPG
and complete assembly
IMG_5844.JPG
IMG_5845.JPG
The exhaust is touching the underneath of the sidepod top, but when I come to glue the exhaust together, I will tweak this to just clear.
I hope this helps you sort out your problems. And please post up pictures of your build!!!

Malc.
Last edited by Chinamalc on Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Belugawrx
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Belugawrx
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Wolf Williams Lotus
Canada

Post by Belugawrx »

Ahh the tricky part of any F1 kit...the headers..I usually use canopy glue for longer set up times (and it can be disassembled and cleaned off)...blue tack is another excellent idea...or using you 3rd and 4th hands lol
Bruce Coy