Lotus 49 1/20 Ebbro

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: Lotus 49 1/20 Ebbro

Post by daniel »

..great built. I really forgot that I have that kit in my stash...I already have some turned wheels ready. Maybe this would be a good model to build next.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

Seb, that's a great job! - I can't wait to see it finished!
Daniel, those wheels in 1/20 scale look great - who makes them?
thanx, Querque

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

indygp2001 wrote:Seb, that's a great job! - I can't wait to see it finished!
thanx, Querque
I sell them... 30€ http://www.scale-details.com/portfolio- ... 20-wheels/

but since there is some weird things with german postage costs I stopped selling parts...guess I will pick up selling again. Still have some stock of wheels and decals.

Sorry for hitchhiking this threat but I think the wheels could be a nice touch

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Thanks for the comments everyone! I plan to get some clear down on it tonight and hopefully everything else will fall into place over the next week.
daniel wrote:
indygp2001 wrote:Seb, that's a great job! - I can't wait to see it finished!
thanx, Querque
I sell them... 30€ http://www.scale-details.com/portfolio- ... 20-wheels/

but since there is some weird things with german postage costs I stopped selling parts...guess I will pick up selling again. Still have some stock of wheels and decals.

Sorry for hitchhiking this threat but I think the wheels could be a nice touch
Yes I've seen your rims and they look great! If I were building this for myself I would have already contacted you for a set, but as this build will be for my father, I'll opt out since he doesn't have as great of an appreciation for things like turned metal.

I'd love to grab a set of rims for myself for the future but I only recently realized that the Ebbro 49 kit is apparently extremely rare nowadays? I had no idea! I picked this kit out with my dad last year at Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo for 4400 yen ($40USD), but I can hardly find this on sale anywhere! The only two listings on eBay are over $200USD which is pretty outrageous to me, and none on Yahoo Auctions Japan even. I guess when Ebbro kits are gone, they're gone.
http://www.f1modelling.com

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

It's looking great! Have you considered going without a clearcoat? Especially considering it's a 1960s car? Can't wait to see it when it's all finished.

Btw, I'm glad I got my Lotus 49 when I did! You're not kidding, they are just gone!

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

CelicaGT wrote:It's looking great! Have you considered going without a clearcoat? Especially considering it's a 1960s car? Can't wait to see it when it's all finished.

Btw, I'm glad I got my Lotus 49 when I did! You're not kidding, they are just gone!
Maybe if I'd used Tamiya TS I could have left it without clear coat, but as-is the Zero Paints colour coat has a distinct egg-shell texture that's too rough to pass for a scale-accurate old school gloss finish. Also I see the models my dad made 20-30 years ago and have a fear of old, yellow, dried, flaky decals :cry:

Oh well I'll go for the restored, showroom finish.

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

SebLeung wrote:
CelicaGT wrote:It's looking great! Have you considered going without a clearcoat? Especially considering it's a 1960s car? Can't wait to see it when it's all finished.

Maybe if I'd used Tamiya TS I could have left it without clear coat, but as-is the Zero Paints colour coat has a distinct egg-shell texture that's too rough to pass for a scale-accurate old school gloss finish. Also I see the models my dad made 20-30 years ago and have a fear of old, yellow, dried, flaky decals :cry:

Oh well I'll go for the restored, showroom finish.
Sounds good!

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

I was a little nervous to apply 2K clear with my new H&S Infinity 0.4 as I'd mastered applying 2K with my old Iwata NEO. I still keep underestimating just how much paint my Infinity is putting down so I laid the clear on a bit too thick for my liking. I also couldn't get the clear to settle down like a glass coat even with 2:1:1 clear:hardener:thinner ratio. I know this is a 60's car that shouldn't be super gloss, but to be honest I viewed this as a practice run for my SF71H which I absolutely do not want to screw up.

There was also some phenomenon I'd never seen before - it seems like the clear reacted with the paint in some way that left some areas slightly discoloured with a whitish-cast.

In this photo, looking on either side of the stripe you can see the whitish hue - kinda looks like I got poor coverage on the colour coat in that area

Look closely under the Clark sticker - you can see the faint outline of the old incorrect kit sticker that I'd previously removed. Definitely not a colour coat coverage issue.

This happened on the front cowling and the two side panels. I tried wet sanding the clear down thinking maybe some micro air bubbles got trapped or something but nothing happened. Maybe it was because I applied too thick of a coat. Another possibility is that my clear is just getting too old? I've owned this Zero Paints 2K Diamond Clear set for almost exactly 2 years, maybe it's time for a new set? Advice and theories are encouraged.

Here's the final state of the body panels after being polished back up. Again you can see that bit of discoloration on the front cowling, and if you look closely on the side panel you can see it below the word "Team". I'm still happy with the final result, I just don't want to mess around with it when I'm doing my SF71H.

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Looks pretty darn good even with the issues you had. Much respect for bringing up and pointing out flaws.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Looks very nice, no big deal on the issue, some additional polishing and it`s gone. Good job, keep it coming!
Take a stand!