Lotus 49 1/20 Ebbro

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Lotus 49 1/20 Ebbro

Post by SebLeung »

First new build of 2020, I'm building this for my father so I'm hoping this will be a smooth and quick build. I'll see if I can complete it in under a month. I intend on building the 1967 US GP spec and it'll just be an OOB build.

I don't have too much to say about this kit so far. I've heard warnings about the front cowling not fitting properly so I sanded a bunch of it down from the inside. We'll see how it ends up.

Primed a lot of the parts in one go

White primer for the body and then painted most of the engine in day 2

I'm using the Zero Paints Lotus 49 paint set, specifically matched to the Ebbro kit. All body parts got the yellow undercoat, and the stripe was masked to paint the green atop everything else. I'm always really nervous about masking and painting. This one especially, I had to cut smooth curves as well as have an accurate mask for the white circle. I wanted avoid painting one continuous yellow stripe as I was worried it would show through the white circle decal. I actually ended up crazing the plastic a bit since this was my first time using Zero Paints with my new H&S Infinity 0.4, it puts down a lot more paint than my old AB. I ended up sanding it back lightly instead of starting over. Hopefully the clear coat will smooth it out. I don't need a glass final look since these old cars had pretty low paint quality to begin with.

The green came out really nice. It's hard to see in the pictures though but I'd give my masking job a 6.5/10 in the end. I little bit of overspray and some ragged edges unfortunately.

I also noticed that the negative space left for the circle was maybe abit skewed and I was hoping that the green edge of the decal would hide the sloppiness, but unfortunately it's still somewhat visible. I won't lose sleep over it, it's just not perfect, that's all. I can take solace in the fact that had I painted a solid stripe beneath the circle, it WOULD have shown through the decal, so I'm glad I tried taking the harder route at the end of the day.
http://www.f1modelling.com

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Re: Lotus 49 1/20 Ebbro

Post by Indy1977TX »

Beautiful start, I really love the 49s - especially the green ones!

Jordan

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

I have built this kit twice and loved it. You've got a great start here - very well done on getting the cowl to fit. Paint looks great and the quality of your photos are excellent! Watching with interest.

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Thanks both of you!
whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:I have built this kit twice and loved it. You've got a great start here - very well done on getting the cowl to fit. Paint looks great and the quality of your photos are excellent! Watching with interest.
Weeeell I haven't technically gotten it to fit yet. I just kinda sanded the inside a lot and just hoped it was enough because the radiator assembly seemed pretty tough to mock-up for test fit. I haven't painted the inside of the cowling yet so if it still doesn't fit I can keep sanding away at the inside at a later stage.

As this build is for my father (this is his favourite race car), if the build goes smoothly and quickly maybe I'll build one for myself in the future. I like the 1968 South Africa spec with the big red name decals but I know that one requires a bit of modification to build.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Nice start on it, keep it comin!
Take a stand!

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

SebLeung wrote:Thanks both of you!
whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:I have built this kit twice and loved it. You've got a great start here - very well done on getting the cowl to fit. Paint looks great and the quality of your photos are excellent! Watching with interest.
Weeeell I haven't technically gotten it to fit yet. I just kinda sanded the inside a lot and just hoped it was enough because the radiator assembly seemed pretty tough to mock-up for test fit. I haven't painted the inside of the cowling yet so if it still doesn't fit I can keep sanding away at the inside at a later stage.

As this build is for my father (this is his favourite race car), if the build goes smoothly and quickly maybe I'll build one for myself in the future. I like the 1968 South Africa spec with the big red name decals but I know that one requires a bit of modification to build.
Wow, it looks excellent so far! I also built this kit a while back. The nose was definitely tricky and required a ton of sanding. Otherwise, this kit builds well and looks fantastic when complete.

I used the decals for the yellow stripe and wished I did the masking. Even though the masking is hard to get perfect (your's looks great), the decal is also challenging. Mine ended up with some bad rips and I just barely salvaged it. So, you made the right choice by painting!

Can't wait to see more photos!

Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

Post by Marcel »

Startet the same Project last week. Looking forward...

Marcel

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

I learned the hard way that the supplied instructions are totally accurate, especially for the 1967 US GP. The kit doesn't include the appropriate name stickers for the sides of the nose, and Jim Clark's Lotus used the other body panel in front of the cockpit (Oil filler? Fuel filler?).

Once the new decals arrived on Thursday I was able to proceed. Even after application though it still didn't quite look right to me, and that's when I realized that the Indycals decals are probably still too small, and also that the nose number should be positioned closer to the front. I'm not really willing to fixing at this point so it's an unfortunate circumstance, but oh well.

I do love building these 60's cars because there are so few decals to apply.

Front end and rear end progress:

At this point almost all of the parts are painted, just a few more mechanical pieces and the wheels to prime and paint. I also need to clear the body panels. There's a bit of a cold spell right now so I'm not sure when I'll be able to move forward, but once I get the opportunity to it shouldn't be long until this build is complete.

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Looking very sharp! Great photos, too.

Gooch
Team Owner
Team Owner