Tamiya Leyton house CG901b 1/20

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Tamiya Leyton house CG901b 1/20

Post by Daliracing »

Hi i'm new to this forum and a month ago i started building the Leyton House CG901b.
Its one of my favorite F1 cars ever so i really want to step up my game and make this as good as possible. the paint i'm using is mostly Zero Paints. upgrade parts i'm using are from MFH and Top studio. I have lots of pictures so this will be a long post and i hope you enjoy it.
Pictures:
The Headrest didn't seem to fit well so needed to fill it.
Adding some PE parts from Studio27
Drilled some holes in the brake discs to add more detail. They are not perfect but i haven't done anything like this so far and it looks kinda okay.
Found out there was alot of 'flesh' on the exhausts. i modyfied them using a sharp blade and a dremel.
The work done on the left sidepod:
the right sidepod had alot of issues. I decaled the cf but forgot to paint some little bits on them so i masked it because it was cleared a few days before ( used flat alclad ) But it felt sticky and by removing the masking tape some of the decals sticked to the tape. i tried my best to recover most of the decal.
Next up are the enginecovers. added some mfh bolts and top studio rivets to them:
Then the rear shocks. never tried this before and it wasn't easy at all since the dimensions supposed to be the same but i didn't know the top studio shocks needed to be compressed in order the have a good fit.
Paint was also aplied. I used the zero paint leyton house colour and for the green i used the dark green from the jordan 191 set which is a good match to the studio27 decals.
next up some wires on the engine and some bolts on the suspension:
What the buils looks like atm (everything is dryfitted at this stage)

I know its a long post and not everything is covered as you can see so feel free to ask things about the build. I hope you enjoy it and i hope to keep you guys updated on this build!

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Re: Tamiya Leyton house CG901b 1/20

Post by AJP01 »

Hey I like it, heading in an ambitious direction for a car you really like is always satisfying even though it can bring challenges along the way. Do you plan to display with engine cover off or do you want to have the option to have it on / off when you want?

Cheers,
AJ

Topic author
Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

AJP01 wrote:Hey I like it, heading in an ambitious direction for a car you really like is always satisfying even though it can bring challenges along the way. Do you plan to display with engine cover off or do you want to have the option to have it on / off when you want?

Cheers,
AJ
For now i want to build it so i can take the cover off when i want, i have another in the stash which will be the other car and will be a curbside.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Very nice level of detail, good work so far. I'd certainly be aware that you will probably encounter fit issues with the body when adding detail. The body on this kit was a very tight fit without added detail. If you are planning to build another one curbside it shouldn't be too much of a problem anyway.
Look forward to seeing your progress...
Last edited by daveyman on Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Beware of that engine cover if you go to put it on the car. I've built two of these horrid kits and both failed with that wonderful headrest area. You have to stretch the cover to get it onto the body and all that putty work is for naught......be careful.

Topic author
Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

bossy122 wrote:Beware of that engine cover if you go to put it on the car. I've built two of these horrid kits and both failed with that wonderful headrest area. You have to stretch the cover to get it onto the body and all that putty work is for naught......be careful.
Thanks for the warning! So far it fits pretty good but that might change when the clear is on.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Great work on all the extra details, looking forward to see more

aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by aracefan »

Man! Loving the detail so far, keep posting up the good work! And thanks for sharing it - very inspiring for us novice guys.

rpython
Formula e
Formula e

Post by rpython »

Great work! A question tough : what CF decal did you use?

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Indeed a very nice start on this one! :)
Still like such builds a lot, keep it comin!
What shock absorbers did you use? There are 3 different types, from long to short, looks like the short ones.
Take a stand!