Tamiya Lotus 99T

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

BeeJay
F3
F3

Re: Tamiya Lotus 99T

Post by BeeJay »

Great work..just love this era.. :)
Will be following this build with interest and looking forward to the Lotus being finished.

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thank you Beejay, i hope to finish it this year but i think my deadline is a bit optimistic! 8)
Scratch building is realy time consuming and i did not start the paint job, only prepairing parts at moment.
Still having a fight with my camera at this one, seems like Macro only works when it is in the mood to work, so a couple of pics i took are not to be used, quiet boring! :roll:

I finished some more work on the cockpit, oxygen bottle is detailed and ready to be installed, fire extingisher is done and detailed too, ready to be attached to the cockpit.

The cockpit is decaled with carbon and painted flat, added some rivets and the shifting linkage which was rebuild with brass rods. I installed the bottles and this is the stage i`m at actually, more details to be done.

Thanks for watching.
Take a stand!

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Little progress from the last days, glued the rivets to the sidepanels and gave it a last shot of primer, ready for painting.

I painted and detailed the shock absorbers for the front axle, the upper part is not changed as it is hidden in the car once installed, only the lower end of them will barely be visible finaly.
Rear shock absorbers are finished and ready to be installed.

Carbon work on the brake ducts is done, some rivets will be attached when flat clear has dried fully.

I scratch build a new fuel filler cap from brass cause i drilled out the molded one on the chassis. As i don`t have a lathe, i used a brass pipe and a brass rod. First i drilled the inner diameter of the pipe to diameter of the rod, then i put the rod to my proxxon machine and filed the outer diameter down on one end. The result is not to bad i think and will get a light shot of smoke finaly.

Front buckle head is finished, the barely visible look from top like it will be installed to the car. Unfortunately it is not realy visible finaly, only the top of it a bit.

The radiators and the roll bar recieved some allclad and can be detailed now. Radiators will get some colour touch up and sensors, the roll bar get`s details once installed to the car as it is allmost wiring.

And finaly a small problem when masking the steering wheel, i painted the inner part semi gloss black with X 18, applied Neo masking sol and after it dried up the base colour melds down. Never had such issue before and the base colour dried for 3 days! Someone else who had this issue? Will strip everything and start all over again.

More to come.
Take a stand!

lvndeva
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by lvndeva »

Ive had several issues with these type of liquid masking solutions. Sometimes the base colour changes colour as well slightly. So these days i just use masking tape, or just paint using brush.

Anyway excellent work so far. Following with interest!!!

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thank you, appriciate it!
Well to me it happened the first time, some other parts i painted the same day went ok, no idea what happened.
I think i will mask it with tape this time too, only to ensure it does not happen again. Still uesd it as it is a fast way to cover up such complex tiny areas, but not this time.
Still have to focus now a bit more to enginework as it needs a 2 colour sheme. Tamiya instruction calls for a silver body and black cam covers, but i could not find a time period picture in this configuration. Same on gearbox, Tamiya calls for a brownish colour, references more for a black. I think i will go on with the time period ones, not the instruction guide.
Take a stand!

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work, the cockpit tub and suspension details look great

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thank you Jeff! :)

Next will be some wiring and finaly seat belts to the tub. A buisy place with all what`s under the seat hidden normaly.
Take a stand!

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Some more progress on the Lotus, started with detailing some parts that are painted.
The cam covers recieved some hex etched bolt heads, not all cause some more details will follow after the cam covers are attached to the engine. Turbo fixing arms and radiator support is still missing and has to be done when all is in place, need to figure out the messurements once installed. Plug wires are missing and will be added at a later stage. I sscratch build a connector for oil supply to the side of the cam cover, an fittings still missing.

Next is the back of the gear box, first metal turned and etched parts attached, detail painting and wiring to follow.

started with the drive shafts detailing too, sorry for bad picture quality.

Complete suspension arms get etched bolt heads on, molded in sensors removed and replaced with turned Sakatsu parts. Break lines and wiring still missing.

The tub recieved its wiring and connectors finaly

Added the seat belts with mounting brackets, seat belt material is from MFH, some more rivets and the markings for seat belt. Think i`m done with the tub, maybe :lol:

Thanks for watching, more to follow.
Take a stand!

donnieleblanc
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by donnieleblanc »

Outstanding work! Great detail in the cockpit.

LeonN
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: Leon
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Brabham
Denmark

Post by LeonN »

Great skills and brilliant work.

Sorry, if you already answered this question, but what size rivets, nuts and bolt are you using working in 1/20 F1 car and are they from Top Studio?