Tamiya Lotus 99T

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

f40
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: Tamiya Lotus 99T

Post by f40 »

:D looks great . Super nice details.

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Many thanks for kind commend!
Take a stand!

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Does anyone have an idea if the Tamiya Brabham BT 50 tyres are fitting on the Lotus 99T?
Still searching a solution for the tyre problem, F 189 tyres are old as well and i might to remember that the Brabham is one of latest productions from tamiya. Unfortunately i don`t have a Brabham in my stash, so i can`t do a comparsion, but i can get such kit for a good price. Would be great if someone who has both can check if Tamiya used the same tyres for it.

Happy X mas to everyone!
Take a stand!

Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

gp-models wrote:Does anyone have an idea if the Tamiya Brabham BT 50 tyres are fitting on the Lotus 99T?
Still searching a solution for the tyre problem, F 189 tyres are old as well and i might to remember that the Brabham is one of latest productions from tamiya. Unfortunately i don`t have a Brabham in my stash, so i can`t do a comparsion, but i can get such kit for a good price. Would be great if someone who has both can check if Tamiya used the same tyres for it.

Happy X mas to everyone!
I have both but i think you are best of with tyres from the late 80's. i have added some comparisation pictures. the front ones are a smaller diameter and are narrower than the originals. the rim will stick out on the front ones while the rear one is slightly bigger in diameter but is alot wider and looks way to 'fat' on the rim. The rims i used for testing are from a leyton house kit but these are the same as the lotus in dimentions.

pictures:
rear width:
front width
front ones:
rear ones:

front rim sticking out:
'balloon' rear tyre:

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

Can't see the photos.
Michael Chriss

Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

M.Chriss wrote:Can't see the photos.
That's strange, i used Google images to upload them here. Could i done anything wrong? Cause i can see them

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Many thx Daliracing, that`s what i needed to know! :)

Strange cause i can`t see the pics too, don`t know what happened but your information is enough to me. I wondered too about the front tyres, they look narrow in comparsion, so another solution must be found. I hoped they fit cause the brabham is one of the latest productions, so brand new tyres! The other cars i might try will be MP 4/4 and MP 4/5b, they have been re issued a couple of years ago, maybe the best chance to find matching tyres which are not old.
Plastic dip from the can does work, but not as good as i wanted it to be, too much texture left over after applying it.

Thank you again for doing a comparsion on it! ;)
Take a stand!

Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

gp-models wrote:Many thx Daliracing, that`s what i needed to know! :)

Strange cause i can`t see the pics too, don`t know what happened but your information is enough to me. I wondered too about the front tyres, they look narrow in comparsion, so another solution must be found. I hoped they fit cause the brabham is one of the latest productions, so brand new tyres! The other cars i might try will be MP 4/4 and MP 4/5b, they have been re issued a couple of years ago, maybe the best chance to find matching tyres which are not old.
Plastic dip from the can does work, but not as good as i wanted it to be, too much texture left over after applying it.

Thank you again for doing a comparsion on it! ;)
Thats strange indeed, i'll try to fix it! The tyres from a mclaren would be the best options however i ordered some f189 tyres 2 years ago but it took almost 6 months to get here the price was 12euro so was kinda okay but the wait is long. Maybe you can find a model which is started on ebay for the spares?

PS: here is a link to the pictures, hopefully that works: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jLGcKKNbjbY8xuuXA

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thank you, this link works. ;)
Did not knew that they Brabham tyres had raised Goofyear Logos, that makes it impossible to use, size does not fit any way too.
Will try the Mclaren tyres, and hopefully those in my stash don`t have the same problem, otherwise i have to get a re release kit.
Take a stand!

Inuyasha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Germany

Post by Inuyasha »

gp-models wrote:
I started to install the electronic boxes to the chassis, wiring and the roll bar plus kill switch are done. More wiring is following once the tub is installed, moving on slow.

Thank`s for watching!

To be continued...
Awesome details!
How did you make those tiny black wire straps? Are those photoetched parts?