Tamiya Lotus 99T

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Tamiya Lotus 99T

Post by gp-models »

Thank you for kind commend, but the gearbox has a bit structure as it is a roughly casted part in reality. Used my airbrush and primer to give it a bit structure and after painting it gets a light wash with metal gun pigments. Dashboard has structure too cause it is leather covered on the real car. Steering wheel has a lot of structure to replicate alcantara look, it only needs his wiring to be done.
Take a stand!

Inuyasha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Germany

Post by Inuyasha »

Realy impressing build! Can`t wait to see it finished, it will be stunning!
Which type of Top Studio shock absorbers did you use? Such details make a big improvement to the kit parts. :)

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Inuyasha wrote:Realy impressing build! Can`t wait to see it finished, it will be stunning!
Which type of Top Studio shock absorbers did you use? Such details make a big improvement to the kit parts. :)
Thank you, i used shock absorber set 2, only shortened the coil a bit on the front ones.

A little update what`s been done.
I scratch build a bottom support for the gear box, soldered 0,5mm brass wire together, needs some sanding and painting.

Next i finished the oil radiator with it`s AN fittings on.

I scratch build a bottle from Aluminium with my motortool for the top of engine/gearbox, don`t know if it is an oil reservoir or what....
I wish i had a lathe!!

Steering wheel is done, needs only a connector to it`s wiring. Unfortunately the MOMO and round LOTUS badge is missing in kit decals. Maybe i handpaint the round green circle.

I started with some wiring and more detailing to the electronic boxes for the chassis, but to do all, chassis and engine has to be married to the floor, so only partly wiring possible at moment. The small etched clamp on the strap will be glued to the chassis once installed.

The cockpit inside recieved some more wiring, etched rivets and first plumbing. The rest will follow once the tub is installed.

The coolers gets some fixing points for sensors, etched radiator mesh and needs some detail painting and clamps, so close to be done.

Got an issue with the tyres which are old, after sanding the parting line i realized that they are more soft in the middle, then on the outside. You can see it on this picture, the dark parts are soft, the rest seems to be hard enough to look polished. :?

Target is to present them looking new, not as a used set, so any suggestions on this? Maybe painting? With what type of colour?
The sidewalls of the tyres don`t look good as well, so unfortunately a problem which can`t be ignored.

Thx for watching
Take a stand!

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

You can try painting the whole tire with semi-gloss but I don't know if that's a viable long term solution - I feel like rubber is always at risk of changing over time and there's no way to predict how it would interact with any coatings. If you're really set on having new looking tires then I think your best bet is to simply find a new set of Tamiya tires. If you don't have spares on hand your best bet would be to buy a donor F189 kit, those can be had for cheaper than standalone tires.

Amazing work on the build so far! Attention to detail and the pace at which you're working is unbelievable
http://www.f1modelling.com

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Many thanks for kind commend!
I have lots of spare tyres from later cars, will do some testing to find a solution. I fear that the colour will chip off the rubber, but maybe acrylics not. Other plan is to try plastic dip from the rattle can, use it normaly to do wiring material, hopefully this works!
The other idea to use F 189 tyres is good, have this one in my stash too, hopefully they are not as old like these! When painting is not working, i will give them a try, thank you for suggestion! :)
Take a stand!

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

Hi gp-models
Very impressive construction and excellently implemented. The intercoolers look fantastic. What color did you use for it. The ECU's and everything else is perfect.
I just looked through my decal remnants and found the MOMO in two versions. I wrote or shared them in white & yellow. I only have the round Lotus logo in black. If you give me your address I will gladly send it to you.

lg. Martin
Seema

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Hi Martin,
thank you for this great offerand kind commend! :)
Will send you pm soon. Still wonder why Tamiya provides nothing for it.
I used Alclad chrome for the radiators and semi gloss black underneeth.
Take a stand!

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Awesome detailings Guido. One of the best 99T builts, I ever seen!

LeonN
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: Leon
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Brabham
Denmark

Post by LeonN »

Yes! Now I finally know what I want for Xmas: "Dear Santa. Hope you are well. Coz I am. Please, I wish a series of Youtube videos of how gp-models build his so awesome Lotus 99T. Can you make that come true, please? Thx, LeonN"

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

gtziaf wrote:Awesome detailings Guido. One of the best 99T builts, I ever seen!

Many thx George for kind commend, appriciate it!

LeonN wrote:Yes! Now I finally know what I want for Xmas: "Dear Santa. Hope you are well. Coz I am. Please, I wish a series of Youtube videos of how gp-models build his so awesome Lotus 99T. Can you make that come true, please? Thx, LeonN"
Oh wow, that is realy a bigger x mas wish! :D
Sorry, but with this camera it is impossible to do such videos, as you can see, it makes crappy pics cause it`s an old cam and works not realy as it has to be. I took more than 30 pics of the steering wheel, but was not able to get one nice shot! I played with light, but no success. I think i need a better cam and much more light to an accurate WIP, my own wish for the next year! :D
Thank you for kind commend!
Take a stand!