Ferrari F1 87 (Fujimi 1/20)

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Ferrari F1 87 (Fujimi 1/20)

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Back after the Zakspeed, I am getting slower and slower with my builds, I will never complete my stack, which is not big anyway. :(

I have just started the Fujimi 1/20 Ferrari F1 87 and for the first time I am using a photoetched set by S27 so I will try to take more care of the engine area with few more details so to leave the engine cover off. Nothing spectacular, you have seen better everywhere else!
I will also use the tobacco decals and the car will be no.27 of Michele Alboreto.
IMG_20191004_171950.jpg
I tend to prime the smaller parts which will not be seen like engine, gearbox etc still attached to the sprue in order to save time, but the body parts and wings of course are sprayed separately. Here's the body of the F1 87.
P1200899.JPG
And here's the bottom with heat shields on, I made them myself I luckily have some rather thick aluminium foil which will stay flat and is better looking than the usual foil ... which I have used anyway but scrapped because it looked too..toyish!
Attachments
P1200950.JPG
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Ferrari F1 87 (Fujimi 1/20)

Post by daveyman »

Nice choice of project, not built this myself so I'll be watching with interest.

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Starting to work on the engine parts.

I cut the support plate which will be replaced by the photoetched part:
The one on the right is the plastic plate which I cut out, the one on the left is photoetched (sorry about the flash, cannot see it properly)
The one on the right is the plastic plate which I cut out, the one on the left is photoetched (sorry about the flash, cannot see it properly)
Drilling holes for some wiring on each cam cover, used a 0.3mm drill.
IMG_20191005_191810.jpg
The wire looks too thin, I might replace it with a bigger one later if this one doesn't look good.
P1200925.JPG
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

That's a nice subject you have choosen, and a good start you have made on it.
I have build the F1 87/88C and enjoyed it very much, except the Turbo air-inlets.
Are you going to modify the engine cover or are you going to build it according to the instruction?

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Steffen_T wrote: Are you going to modify the engine cover or are you going to build it according to the instruction?
Very good question. I am not sure yet as I haven't got to that stage, but I have something in mind which I haven't seen on other builds...will see if that pans out in few days. How did you modify them? Did you join the upper and lower part in one piece?
Turbo ducts.jpg
Turbo ducts.jpg (16.45 KiB) Viewed 506 times
Are they fixed so the you had to modify the opening on each sidepod in order to let the duct through when placing the cowling on? I' d rather avoid any modification to the bodywork, I will likely cause some heavy damage if I try! :lol:

Anyway it is a very nice kit to work on, so far I am loving it, hope it lasts! I am also building the F1 87/88 at the same time but that will be strictly OOB with no extra parts, 99% of the parts are the same as the 1987 car so I try to save some time.

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

At first I placed a stripe of masking tape on the enginecover, put the upper part of the air-inlet on top and draw the outer line with a pencil. This line was my guide for the modification.
Between the lower and the upper part I placed a bit of styrene. Otherwise the upper part would had been sitting to low. In theory this should work, but when everything was ready (primed, painted, CF-decals, clear) the fit was so tight, I decided to leave the enginecover permanently.
I don't know the F1 87 kit, but if it also has the early 1987 air-inlets, they might be a bit easier to do this modification as they have a rectangle shape.

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Some progress with the bodywork, I painted the red with Tamiya TS-8 the tub:
Sisters in red
Sisters in red
Then painted with a brush the black and flat aluminium the electronic box behind the cockpit:
P1200956.JPG
P1200957.JPG
The engine also got some upgrade and will continue today:
P1200909.JPG

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Something I did some time ago was to get rid of the chromed parts that come with the kits, I got hold of the all the sprues in my stash and soaked them in bleach all at once. Not having an airbrush I cannot use Alclad so I tried different options such as Tamiya rattle can Aluminium, XF-16 and AK True Metal.
On this kit I am using photoetched parts, like radiator and heat exchange mesh, but I still wanted to try these paints and see how they look like, and I will have to use the paint on the F1 87/88 anyway.
F1 87 chromed parts.jpg
F1 87 chromed parts.jpg (22.14 KiB) Viewed 386 times
I quite like the result I could get with the AK True Metal, and the below result could definitely be improved but I stopped it there as I would have to place the etched mesh on top.
P1200920.JPG
Here's the comparison between the painted part and the same one with the photoetched mesh, I really like its look, first time I try PE parts and have to say it is step-up from plastic:
P1200963.JPG
P1200921.JPG
P1200916.JPG
P1200917.JPG

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Strangely the progress of this build is very slow despite the fact that I like this kit and the way the parts go well together.
Finished other details like floor, brake disks, seat and cockpit etc.
Brakes.JPG
Disks with photoetched parts (on the left)
Disks with photoetched parts (on the left)
Chassis on flat bottom.jpg
Dashboard with a PE switch on the right ... which cannot be seen anyway!
Dashboard with a PE switch on the right ... which cannot be seen anyway!
The two parts that drove me bonkers are the two inserts that fix the suspensions from the inside, it took me two evenings and a huge amount of CA glue...wasn't fun:
Front bulk.jpg
Seat
Seat
Steering wheel
Steering wheel

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Nice work so far...a great car and one I have as well.