MFH 911 Carrera RSR Turbo

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: MFH 911 Carrera RSR Turbo

Post by daniel »

That is so amazing...I wait till this is finished and copy all those nice ideas :) ...well not for the 1/12 MFH but the 1/8 Entex kit I have lying around for years now.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Inuyasha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Germany

Post by Inuyasha »

Awesome detail work! What an eyecatcher, stunning! :)

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hi there, thanks for your great comments and nice to hear that this may inspire some of you to also start building the RSR Turbo 2.1 :-)

There is some progress since my last update mainly on small parts for the ignition and fuel system

Starting with the 2 Spark Boxes consisting of the the modified MFH parts and additional details (3D printed and etched) and new decals made by Michael of MWT
Spark Box.jpg
Next is a complete new design of the both ignition coils (MFH decals used)
Ignition Coil_2.jpg
The array of 3 fuel pumps is also a complete new design consisting of 3D printed and etched parts. Additionally, the fuel filler tubes on top of the tank have been heavily modified and additional etched parts (the oval plates with separately inserted bolts) have been added to the MFH original part
Fuel Pump Array_1.jpg
Fuel Pump Array_2.jpg
Fuel Pump Array_3.jpg
On car #22, the fuel tank is embraced by another part (MFH part RE40). In the original car, this second "skin" is made of sheet metal. To replicate the sheet metal plates, new etched parts have been made, which will cover the MFH Part. This method also replicates the seams/gaps at the joints of the individual plates
Fuel_Tank_2.jpg
Fuel_Tank_3.jpg
On a different topic: I've been PMd by a member of this forum asking for plumbing/wiring instructions for building this model. Unfortunately the message got lost, so I couldn't respond accordingly.
The topic as such is a bit complex as I'm using a variety of different sources. Luckily, I live less than an hour away from the Porsche Museum where I could capture hundreds of reference pictures of the RSR Turbo 2. of the interior and exterior. I also have a huge library of Porsche books and magazines and thousands of reference pictures I've taken over the past decade, which is a great help for conducting my research activities. To cut a long story short, with the help of many sources, I've gained a pretty good understanding about Porsche has designed their fuel, lubrication and ignition systems for their 6, 8 and 12 cyclinder powered race cars between 1969 and 1978 but I've not documented this systematically, it's simply in my head. But there is also a hot tip: the turbo powered 6 cylinder Porsche's between 1974 and 1978 have very much in common, so a excellent technical source is the Porsche 935 Systems Manual, which is part of the SMS Super Detail set for the 1:12 Tamiya kit. In this manual, the ignition, lubrication, cooling, electrical system and more is explained/documented in great detail and can be used for the RSR Turbo 2.1 as well ! Hope, this hint helps.

BR, Uli

f40
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by f40 »

Beautiful just beautiful

-Felix-
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Felix
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
Germany

Post by -Felix- »

In danger of repeating myself over and over, but the craftsmanship is just stunning and your new posts a highlight of the day to me!

Rico
F3
F3

Post by Rico »

If Michael could provide a Up grade kit...
Michael if you read me

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

yes, so spectacular it even hurts, and i become a little sad in awe...

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Lovely attention to details and a superb finish, brilliant Uli!
Take a stand!

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hi everyone and thx for your interest !

Today's update is about building the oil cooler for the transmission lubrication system (which is not included in the MFH kit). The cooler is completely build with etched parts and consists of 31 separate cooling fins, brackets and washers. I've designed the etched parts for easy assembly and it worked out pretty well.

The cooler is located in the rear/right wheel housing:
Transmission_Cooler_1.jpg
Transmission_Cooler_2.jpg
... and the finished part:
Ölkühler_5_S.jpg
Ölkühler_6_S.jpg
... and some parts of the rear suspension. The lower control arms are modified MFH parts with the characteristic weld seams added. I've turned and milled new dampers and the parts for the anti roll bar are a new design as well
Rear Suspension_1_S.jpg
Rear Suspension_4_S.jpg
Rear Suspension_3_S.jpg
little by little, the car is taking shape :-)

BR, Uli

RookieDetail
Formula e
Formula e

Post by RookieDetail »

Hi Uli,

Incredible work! Not a car, a masterpiece! Everytime I go to F1M i'm looking for the 'RSR'-tag in the overview first. inspiring, daunting and motivating all at once.

Maybe you have stated this earlier, but do you outsource the etching?

For some reason the hood-pins are one of the most intriguing parts I have seen you make. Maybe it's the fact that they are functional, or at least seem functional... Don't get me wrong, all the R&D, engineering, preparing, crafting, testing, documenting, painting, assembling, documenting again... it's incredible. But these tiny details make a race car a race car. the little intricacies that you discover in all the violence of colours, materials and moving parts is what makes a racing machine in my eyes. And you are creating a piece of work, labour of love, a passion made physical, and share it. thank you.

to sum up; nice model buddy.

Jesse