MFH 911 Carrera RSR Turbo

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Re: MFH 911 Carrera RSR Turbo

Post by daves »

Wonderful work in progress to follow. BTW the comments on the bolt colors are interesting. I worked for Porsche and Mercedes-Benz in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Parts Manager. The bolts and nuts were referred to as Cad plated or Cadmium. I think they are still used and available for the 1/1 cars.

Dave

-Felix-
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Felix
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
Germany

Post by -Felix- »

That dashboard is a masterpiece, truly a model of it's own! But that you can say about the drivetrain as well, as well as the suspension etc....
Only thing is, it looks very much slanted upwards (the dials), but that might be because of the test fitting only.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Superb Uli, i even can read the VDO bagde on the instruments, truely impressing!
I love the research side of these jobs too, it`s like sinking into the construction of a car and understanding the technical side to reset everything and bring it to scale. Sometimes it can take a while till you have a good collection of datas, references and what else is needed to start such a project, i only can imagine how nuch effort you put in this part of modeling before even unboxing the kit itself, then taking all mesurements to make parts fit and all the design chapter for the new parts, realy realy impressing how far yo covered all that details!

.....LIKE IT!!! :D
Take a stand!

Leftkeys
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Bill
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Leftkeys »

Guido, I agree, this is beautiful. Uli, I think I missed a few of these updates...must have been the heat. The dashboard is special, watching the progress is even more interesting. It’s inspirational.

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hi there, little progress made since my last post due to "summer break". Nevertheless a small update during the "saure Gurkenzeit/sour cucumber time" as we say in Germany :-)

First and foremost, many thanks for your nice comments and Felix, as you've correctly noticed, the dashboard was slanted to much upwards during the testfit as the assembly was not yet glued in place. When glued in place, it will have the correct position.

The dashboard is completely finished now, including the steering wheel and ready for installation

This picture provides an overview about the individual parts (only 3 MFH kit parts used, the rest is new)
Dashboard_PartsPlacement_Overview_S.jpg
... likewise an overview about parts used for the steering wheel (100% new parts)
Steering_7_S.jpg
some pictures about building the steering wheel including mounting device
Steering_13_S.jpg
Steering_14_S.jpg
Steering_16_S.jpg
Also started to build the driver seat ...

... modified seat frame
Seat_1_S.jpg
Seat_3_S.jpg
Next is to paint and upholster the seat and to "laminate" it to the frame.

Thanks for watching !

BR,
Uli

Inuyasha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Germany

Post by Inuyasha »

Awesome work, absolutely stunning!

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

With every new post it is anticipation what he will show us. And it knocks my socks off. The attention to detail and what is actually possible inspires me every time anew. Very good work.
Seema

shurick
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by shurick »

I am waiting for this to finish so I can use it as a reference for my build. This is great stuff and pretty much as good as real car pics. Cheers!

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Very nice and clean detailwork, looks awesome! :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hi there, summer break is over and work on the RSR continues. Now it continues with a little update ...

Both seats are finished and ready for installation. To emulate the texture of the glass-fibre structure and the ultra thin lamination around the seat frame, a modeling friend of mine has developed a "technique", which leads to fantastic results. It's basically a wet-in-wet painting technique with a brush using different shades of brown, yellow and white Acrylic paints. The lamination was done with pieces cut from a disposable latex gloove:
Seat_5_F1M.jpg
Seat_6_F1M.jpg
Seat_7_F1M.jpg
The Dashboard with steering wheel got installed and the driver seat test fitted:
Rolling_Chassis_10_F1M.jpg
A new fuel filter (not included in the MFH kit) has been made and connected accordingly:
Rolling_Chassis_9_F1M.jpg
On the right side of the engine bay, there is a oil catch tank, which is included in the kit but with lacking details. So a new part has been designed and 3D printed:
Rolling_Chassis_8_F1M.jpg
Next is to install the cage and to finish the rolling chassis.

BR, Uli