Ferrari 126C4 - Burago transformation

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Ferrari 126C4 - Burago transformation

Post by Steffen_T »

Hi all,

I recently asked for a few information’s about the MFH Ferrari 126C4 to find out how close the Burago diecast model is to the scale 1/20:
https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30454

The comparison looked promising, so I took the Burago into my luggage for our vacation and started to modify it.

I won't use all my modelling-time on this project, so please don't expect updates every month.
I will try to keep the number of different kits involved as low as possible. If everything works fine the Burago 126C4 and a Fujimi 126C2 should be enough.
I also intend to document each step to make it easier for other interested modelers to do the same.

Materials used so far:

Burago Ferrari 126C4 (advertised as 1/24, in fact 1/20)
Fujimi Ferrari 126C2
Putty

So here is my progress so far:

First of all I checked the C2 engine height bellow the C4 chassis. There is not enough space, the sidepode are gently sitting on top of the engine:

Fortunately this won't be a problem. The C4 has a lip bellow the sidepods. I suppose Burago did this to avoid a sharp edge.

I will eliminate this lip with a Dremel in the next few days as I didn't had the required tools with me.

Here is the disassembled C4:

Apart from the chassis I want to keep the base-plate with the front wing, and the cockpit section.

Before doing any modifications on the base-plate I did this. With this drawing I can check the wheelbase when the C4 baseplate and the C2 drivetrain are combined:

With the modelling saw I removed the C4 engine behind the chassis. I also removed the Burago writing bellow the car so that the base-plate can really sit flat on the paper.
The Lego bricks were covered with Tamiya masking tape with a bit of lubricant on top. The backside of the base-plate received some putty and the Lego bricks were pressed against the fresh putty so I could receive a straight backside.

After removing the details on the front of the C2 engine I repeated the same:

Now I have a C4 base-plate that can be connected to the C2 engine by either gluing or screwing. I will go for screwing. If I find the wheelbase to be too short I can still remove the screw and place some styrene between to get the correct wheelbase again.

That's it for now. The first update should come quite soon, but then I should focus on my March-project first.

Thank you for watching!

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Ferrari 126C4 - Burago transformation

Post by Jeff »

nice work so far!

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

This is very interesting, enjoying it so far

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

A happy new year to everybody!

I had been asked to work on a different project, so I took a break from this car for a while.

Here is my progress since my original post:

First of all, I removed the lip bellow the sidepods. No problems here:

Then it was time to remove the original red paint. Once soaked in Aceton the paint got a consistence similar to rubber. I had to do it several times before I finally got the job done.

Fujimi's 126C2 is a ground effect car with at least 6cm ground clearence. To get the whole drivetrain closer to the ground, I added three stripes of plastic card and a 1.5 mm brass rod to the uprights. The lower part of the C2 rear suspension and the gearbox should remain unchanged.

The area of the front suspension was closed from the inside with plastic card, which I intended to cover with putty.

After removing the paint I also got aware of this three marks. Any idea why they had been there? I somehow doubt they are injection marks.

The putty was added and sanded smooth:

Here a look on the inside of the chassis:

The C4 had an oval-shaped opening on top of the chassis. To replicate it I did this:

The area bellow the rollbar was closed using this little helping-tool:

The smaller part was fitting within the hole of Bburago's Chassis, while the large part was lying on the metall. While holding this tool in position, I added putty from bellow and let it dry before I removed the tool. The result was an even surface 0.6 mm bellow the upper edge of the metall-chassis:

I took a piece of thick polystyrol and sanded it into the shape of the opening. A hole was drilled through and a nail was added to get some kind of a stamp:

This stamp was fixed with a drop of white-glue in the correct position:

Now putty was added arround the stamp:

Once the putty got hard, the stamp was removed and everything was sanded smooth:

Also closed with putty were the connection points between the sidepods and the rearwing:

That's it for now. I think the next steps will be the rollbar and probably the inside of the chassis.

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

This looks like a great transformation, nice work so far and interested in where this is going!

Jordan

rx-7
F2
F2

Post by rx-7 »

Very interested,I picked up one for $8. Thought it was worth it to try and bring it to life.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

This is looking good!
I have heard of the Bburago conversion many times, but not actually seen one do it, so its nice to see it being done.

Are you not concerned by the weight of the metal body on the (thin) plastic suspension?

I have a Tamiya 643 and it is now resting on its belly, as the suspension could not hold the metal body up...
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

Thank you for your comments! :D

In my opinion the 126C4 is the best looking F1 made by Burago. At least from the time when I used to collect their cars (FW14 is my last one). Picking one up for $8 can't be wrong. Even if it remains in it's original shape.

The suspensions will be a bigger issue indeed. Probably the most difficult part of the whole project.
The suspension arms for the front suspension of Fujimi's C2 won't be a help. The design on the early C2 and the C4 are totally different, so I can't use them.
Because of my modification on the rear suspension uprights I will have to modify all the parts except the lower suspension arms too.

I currently see two solutuions:
- using the original Burago parts
- building new parts

I will probably build my own suspension from brass, as the Burago suspensions appear to be oversized a bit.
Should the suspension end up to be too fragile to carry the weight of the car, I have no problem to use spacers under it.
I may have the intention to improve the car, but that does not include it's qualities to be rolled over the living room carpet. :wink:

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

This will be a real challenge, huts up that you give it a try!
Take a stand!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Really nice.
Yes, the three round marks are ejection pins. Zama is harder to go ff the moulds than polistyrene so it needs them at both sides I supose...
Brave thing removing paint.
Gonna bug you a bit 8) :twisted: filling panel lines and re-scribing? hein? :wink: