Benetton B188 - Tamiya 1/20

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Benetton B188 - Tamiya 1/20

Post by aracefan »

Hello, first post here as I found this site poking around looking for engine shots of the Benetton I'm building. Have been over at ISM for several months now but saw so many beautiful builds of F1's (prob my favorite racing) that I decided to join. Looks as though I could learn a lot from anyone, and everyone, in here. :lol:

Anyway, here are a few shots of my "slow-going" Benetton build. All done with paint brush and rattle cans. This is BY FAR the most difficult paint job I've ever attempted, and have made a few "faux-pauxs" already, but learning as I go. Tips and critiques welcome.

[the kit was off ebay and when I received it in the mail, there were a few pieces broken and the decals had yellowed]

I know the engine is all wrong, the valve covers are completely the wrong color - I was trying something different and it backfired (but I don't hate it, soooo... )

Have started decaling where I can, from a new set of decals (I believe they are Shunko - or something :?: ) pretty nice set too.

Masking nightmare :shock: :shock: :lol: But not looking too shabby for my limited skill set.

Thanks for looking and hope to share more progress from the weekend. :wink:

Bonanza
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Donovan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: Benetton B188 - Tamiya 1/20

Post by Bonanza »

looks good so far!

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Looks like a good Start, Wellcome 8) .

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Reminds me of my masking/paint job on the Larrousse LC90...but yours is spot-on, cannot see anything wrong with that paintwork! Beautiful model you have there!
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Very Good Work!

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

The multi-colour bodywork looks great. Even if you have slight problems, you can always use a little bit of Tamiya polish compound to rub it off.

Welcome on board!
C K
Canada

Topic author
aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by aracefan »

Thanks all, appreciate the kind words. Just taking it slow right now and working on it when I can - for the moment, my modelling time is limited so I try not to start anything I can't finish, you know??

Hoping to finish up the monocoque painting this weekend and then I have some Scale Motorsports decals I wanna try. Never used them before, so again, will take my time as I don't want to mess up since this is an older kit (1988). Acquired it off ebay for a fairly good price, but like I stated in the original post, their were a couple broken bits (one was the steering column was broke off the wheel) and the yellow decals. . .

Here it is fixed up

I tried to use some sprue section but they were either too thick or on the thin side, and just didn't look right. Ended up sanding a toothpick and then trimming it to length. Came out okay, and the little piece that broke off must have fallen out of the box. :lol:

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Welcome to the forum and what a nice build to introduce yourself with. Such a colourful car, love the livery. Look forward to seeing how you get on with this.

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Don't be afraid to ask about spare parts to replace whatever is broken, we will surely help you out. Masking job looks fine. In what order did you paint and mask the engine cover for the various colors?

Topic author
aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by aracefan »

tubegenius wrote:Don't be afraid to ask about spare parts to replace whatever is broken, we will surely help you out. Masking job looks fine. In what order did you paint and mask the engine cover for the various colors?
Thanks, I never thought about checking to see if anyone had spares and such. :D

Painted in this order...
  • 1. Red
    2. Blue
    3. Yellow
Figured it would be best to paint the darkest first, lightest last... as long as I didn't have a big overlap (which is what I really focused on).