Benetton B188 - Tamiya 1/20

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Benetton B188 - Tamiya 1/20

Post by daveyman »

I always start with lightest shade and then go darker. Find it works best for me, asking less of the lighter shades to cover the dark paint but you've got a great result with your kit. Such a fantastic livery, I've got some to make in my stash.

Topic author
aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by aracefan »

daveyman wrote:I always start with lightest shade and then go darker. Find it works best for me, asking less of the lighter shades to cover the dark paint but you've got a great result with your kit. Such a fantastic livery, I've got some to make in my stash.
I probably did it bass-ackwards, as I'm not really a modeller having just got back into it about a year ago. And I didn't paint over any paint... I masked painted portions as I went - so only one color was put down on the primered surface. Since I've been back into it I have done a Subaru WRC car and a MotoGP bike.

Tamiya Safari Subaru Impreza (completely forgot to paint the black for the window rubbers. :roll: )

Tamiya Yamaha - Carlos Checa bike (screwed up the front tire decal...)

Getting better, but each one I make different mistakes. :lol: :lol:

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

You are doing a really good job and the other two builds look nice too. Keep going with the Benetton and, as a newish, builder never fear about asking questions on here. A fantastic place for learning.

Topic author
aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by aracefan »

daveyman wrote:You are doing a really good job and the other two builds look nice too. Keep going with the Benetton and, as a newish, builder never fear about asking questions on here. A fantastic place for learning.
Thanks davey!! just re-learning some techniques and mostly being patient as I go. Mostly just enjoying the time working on it - however it turns out. :lol:

Able to devote some time tonight to the B188, and still have quite a bit to do, but pleased with how she's coming along.

And again, this car has been the biggest challenge I've attempted so far but I am loving it. I will say, like an idiot, I glued in the front suspension without putting the steering rack on!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

But, I'll wait til I'm done with it and mount it. Will probably have to modify it, but that's okay - will worry about that when the time comes.

Thanks for looking! :D

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

I suspected that you painted and masked each color individually, without painting over any previous color. I'm currently weighing the pros and cons of this method. Did you paint the red stripe on the nose where the Riello lettering is, or was that a decal? Does it look like the engine cover will fit reasonably well, or do you intend to glue it down or display it with the cover off? Keep plugging away, she's looking good. BTW, was this the green plastic version or the white?

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I remember when I built this kit that the engine cover was a bit awkward to get fitting and clicking into place correctly. May just have been me tho. Really liking your progress, makes me want to get building again.

Topic author
aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by aracefan »

tubegenius wrote:I suspected that you painted and masked each color individually, without painting over any previous color. I'm currently weighing the pros and cons of this method. Did you paint the red stripe on the nose where the Riello lettering is, or was that a decal? Does it look like the engine cover will fit reasonably well, or do you intend to glue it down or display it with the cover off? Keep plugging away, she's looking good. BTW, was this the green plastic version or the white?
the red stripe, the lettering and the little "thingys" on each side is actually 4 decals. This is the white molded kit, and no the engine cowling fits like garbage. I spent an entire evening one night working on just getting it to sit on there. It's better but still not perfect, in other words, it still pops up on the opposite side you push down. It was just above my pay grade... finally gave up once I got it "better", but am not totally happy with it.

daveyman wrote:I remember when I built this kit that the engine cover was a bit awkward to get fitting and clicking into place correctly. May just have been me tho. Really liking your progress, makes me want to get building again.
When I first got the kit the engine cowling wouldn't even snap into the points it was intended to. Again, it's better but not really acceptable - I gave up before something went through the window. . . :lol:

Topic author
aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by aracefan »

this kit has multiple places where there are decals atop of decals. Anywhere on the front wing there is a white border, anywhere on the rear wing (including the Mobil pony), and the SISLEY decal are all two-part. Just fyi.

Topic author
aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by aracefan »

A few more pics I didn't originally post up:

Test fitting a couple of finished bits before working on the body - can see the steering rack laying there in the pic [smacks forehead] :lol:

Here is a pic of when I got it - the other two sprues should've been in a bag as well, this kit had definitely been opened.

Thanks again guys for all the kind and positive remarks - really enjoying this build even though it has been a challenge (to my limited skill set).

kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Leclerc
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

aracefan wrote:really enjoying this build even though it has been a challenge (to my limited skill set).
Keep going. You are doing great now but you will deffo be a better modeller following this Benetton experience. I know i am after building the same car :D