MFH 1/12 Mclaren MP4/23

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
mhop80
Spectator
Spectator

MFH 1/12 Mclaren MP4/23

Post by mhop80 »

Hi all

I have taken the plunge and invested in my first MFH kit - the Mclaren MP4/23. I have searched the internet and have come across only two other reviews or build diaries of this kit.

https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=10
https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/inde ... p4-23-112/

This build will be slow going as I want to take my time and minimise any mistakes. I may have made one already by attaching a front wing element to the nose though so I will see in due course how that plays out. My first real difficulty so far is dry fitting the front wing. The pieces are fiddly and it is hard keeping the whole assembly together without it collapsing. My intention is then to paint each front wing element individually and then to glue the painted parts together, as opposed to gluing and then painting.

After sanding and cleaning all of the white metal and resin parts my intention is to prime with Tamiya light grey surface primer. All of the parts to be chromed will receive a Tamiya TS14 Gloss Black base coat and then Alclad chrome silver.

The assembly instructions are virtually non-existent and I feel like I am on my own with this build so if anybody has any tips or advice at this stage please do let me know!
20190827_232910 (003).jpg
Mark

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: MFH 1/12 Mclaren MP4/23

Post by CelicaGT »

mhop80 wrote:Hi all

I have taken the plunge and invested in my first MFH kit - the Mclaren MP4/23. I have searched the internet and have come across only two other reviews or build diaries of this kit.

https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=10
https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/inde ... p4-23-112/

This build will be slow going as I want to take my time and minimise any mistakes. I may have made one already by attaching a front wing element to the nose though so I will see in due course how that plays out. My first real difficulty so far is dry fitting the front wing. The pieces are fiddly and it is hard keeping the whole assembly together without it collapsing. My intention is then to paint each front wing element individually and then to glue the painted parts together, as opposed to gluing and then painting.

After sanding and cleaning all of the white metal and resin parts my intention is to prime with Tamiya light grey surface primer. All of the parts to be chromed will receive a Tamiya TS14 Gloss Black base coat and then Alclad chrome silver.

The assembly instructions are virtually non-existent and I feel like I am on my own with this build so if anybody has any tips or advice at this stage please do let me know!
20190827_232910 (003).jpg
Mark
I don't have many tips to offer unfortunately. I have a modern F1 car waiting to be built with many wings, etc. and I'm wondering the same thing. Is it better to paint the individual pieces (better paint coverage, but maybe issues with glue) or glue them together first and risk poor paint coverage?

Definitely the best advice I can give is to read other WIPs (which you've already done) to learn from other people's mistakes. Good luck, I'll be watching this one!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Personally for myself I'd put them together first, but I'm also terrible at glueing without turning everything sideways, and thats with light plastic parts.

Topic author
mhop80
Spectator
Spectator

Post by mhop80 »

First progress update. I have attached the first CF decals to the rear suspension model using Humbrol's decalfix as a stop-gap until my order of Microset / Microsol arrives in the post. I have dry fixed other suspension pieces and these are next up for the CF decal treatment. I have also applied a base colour to all of the CF decals that need it and have gone for a 50:50 mixture of semi-gloss black and gold leaf which gives an impressive colour. This can be seen well on the undertray in the background.

The wheels and tyres on this model are a thing of utter beauty. The wheels themselves have come up very well with a few coats of TS-29 semi gloss black and I'm looking forward to applying the wheel and tyre decals. A tip for others who follow - assemble both parts of the wheel first prior to painting. Do not paint the rims and the wheel discs separately as they will never go on otherwise! I laboured long and hard to remove the paint from all four wheels in order to assemble them. Photos below..
20190902_000210.jpg
20190902_000222.jpg