Tron 1/18 Ferrari 512 BB

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Tron 1/18 Ferrari 512 BB

Post by WardsModelBuilder »

Here is my latest commission project, this one is a 1/18 scale Tron Ferrari 512 BB 1978 LeMans resin kit.

It is going to be built straight out of the box as the customer doesn't want any extra detail work adding. With it being a curbside body there isn't much that could be added anyway other then maybe some extra work around the dash and seats.

The resin mould is pretty good, i've seen better but after a little bit of tidying up its just about ready for paint. As is pretty standard with my builds I will be using the Zero paints brand on this build.

Everything else is pretty standard for a multimedia kit, parts have a good level of detail on them and after some cleaning up should produce a nice model.

Thanks
Chris
http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Tron 1/18 Ferrari 512 BB

Post by jordan »

Why do customers want a 1/18 hand billd kit with no "extra's is something I d'ont get..Just buy a die cast !

Alex.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

I don't think anyone makes a 1/18th "die cast" 1978 Pozzi/NART Lemans 512BB. Tecnomodel probably will someday, but knowing them it will be inaccurate. By the way I don't collect 1/18th but they do offer a lot of pretty well done models. In the long run this scale and diecasts pre built car models I think will kill off almost all the kit market.

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

An update on the progress,

After a lot of sanding and priming I was finally happy with the quality of the bodywork. The body panels on this kit were not either smooth of level but once that was sorted the red went on very well, and makes the effort worth it.

Once that was fully dried I was able to mask off for the lower half black sections.

and paint them black,

I have now added all the bodywork decals as the lacquer on this build is going over them.

So far, so good. I have also been working on the interior which I will cover in the next update whilst the clear on the body is drying.

Thanks
Chris

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Here is what will probably be the last update before this one is finished. The body has now been clear coated and the decals have held up very well with no damage. It has been drying for over a week so should be ready for sanding out the imperfections now.

The customer decided he wanted something added to busy up the interior a little, so I have added a little wiring and plumbing bits.

I think this will add a nice finish to the model, which has turned out to be a very enjoyable build. The kit isn't as polished as a Studio 27 kit however it still makes a very solid model.

Once the bodywork is sanded and polished I will finish up by adding the exterior fittings, and bringing the two halves together.

Chris

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Here are a few photos of the finished model.

Everything went together quite easily but I did have some issue with the windows that, to be truthful just aren't very good in this kit.

Other than the windows, all the other parts fitted together very well, and the additional detail pieces such as the side number lights and windscreen clips are a nice touch (included in the kit).

Turned out pretty well, for a stock build, which is all the customer wanted for this one.

Thanks
Chris

www.wardsmodelbuilder.com

59hrld
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Richard
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alan jones
Netherlands

Post by 59hrld »

Looking good!
Funny to see that a F1 front wing can be used at the rear of a 512BB....

Richard

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Very nice :) . Thank You for sharing.

wargrider
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jean-Michel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Switzerland

Post by wargrider »

Nice build! I have the same car but fully build by Tron. A nice car no one else bother to make, along with the others 512BB LM like the yellow one and the Thomson sponsor car which are all with some differents details