FIAT Mefistofele, 1/12, Italeri

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: FIAT Mefistofele, 1/12, Italeri

Post by daniel »

OK..start with the boring parts. Cleaning, parts prepping and some early detailing. Since it's an old kit theres is a lot of everything to do and in the end I guess I've replaced 50% of the kit with 3Dprinted a scratchbuilt parts...

Adding some metal screws for enhanced detail

Replacing some out of scale pieces with thin metal. It's also better to bend and scratch away paint. I want an old used look in the end.

I added some detail and rescribed the springs to add some depth.

The usual annoying parts...I added a metal tube in the center to give some strenght.

More boring cleanup and preassembly

Something I really hate is when parts are split stupid :( Why are the feet of the cyclinders molded together with the engine. The cylinders are black and the engine silver...Grrr more annoying work to do :(

I endud up with some strange looking cylinders. I put the under the mill and tried to fix things a bit.

THe one detail probably everybody adds to his Mefistofele...wooden parts made from real wood.
The wooden parts are alter rubbed down with Vaseline to give them a littel sheen and darken the wood.

Added a littel detail to the carbs...Later the upper parts would receive some weldseams made from putty and I also remade the carbs in 3D.

More wood, little bodymods and I will replace all rivets with 3Dprinted parts.

Now that is one boring update BUT stay tuned quality will rise :)

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Topic author
daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Germany

Post by daniel »

OK now let's get to the body. I wanted to replicate the current look of the car. I looks like dented and rusted and lots of lots of paint. The dents are very small and I really had a hard time figuring out what to do. But the endresult looks quiet good in real. Besides all that I will also add some grime, oil, rust and dust when all is ready....

First I tortured the body with a soldering iron, sanded that back a little and used some thinner to add more damage to the poor kit.

I want to display the model with one side of the hood folded up like the real car but the model can only open the hood in one piece...loos a little strange. So I made the hood foldable. Just some pices of steel tube with an iron rod inside. Was not an easy task !

Some paint...TS8

Now for some detail painting. I won't use the decals because I wanted the painted look and second the are 50% wrong :) I made my own mask on my Silhouete plotter.
Now for the error in the decals and all the available paint mask. Of course I did the masks wrong in the first try but looking at pictures there was soemthing wrong that I didn't ralized in the first place. On the right side the FIAT logo is OK but on the left side they painted a stretched version of the Logo because the cockpit opening is smaller here and the neede to fill the bigger space by just stretching the letters:)

Here you can also see the 3Dprinted brass parts for the floor

As you can see there is no Mefistofele logo. I seems the car cjamged it'S look over the years. I will build the version without the Mefistofele logo and without the cord wrapped exhaust.

And this was update 2 for tonight...stay tuned

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Nice work!

Topic author
daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Germany

Post by daniel »

Please excuse my spelling errors. It's late and I'm a bit in a hurry !!
But this update will be nice.
The building of this kit came to a rest because there was so much I wanted to enhance but didn't know how so I simply stopped. THEN came my Anycubic Photon printer and I could make everything I needed so be prepared for a lot of printing !!

Let's start with some easy details like sparkplugs and well other things I don't know what they are but I wanted them to look better...

I even printed the srpings :)

Remodeled that crude steering thingy !?

Remodeled the shifter and handbrakes...but repainted them later in semimatt black.

Nuts, fittings, bolts, rivets....

New carburetors and linkage.

The complete dashboard was redone. I only used the small round decals on the left. The large one is white in the kit but black in real so I made a new one. Tried a new technique that worked great. Simply printed the dial on paper covered it with a lot of thick superglue and immediately pressed clear plastic over it.

Of course new rims and hubs. First for a better look and second to add more spokes. I changed it from 32 in the kit to 54. Altough the real car has more I wasn't able to find out the exact pattern !?

The ignition was also something I completely remodeled so I could add a lot of detail like spereate plugs etc...

Now that was a better update and next I will show the current state...

Topic author
daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Germany

Post by daniel »

OK the last update for tonight and you are finally rid of me :)

The final shifter add a lot of detail to this section. All 3Dprinted except for some metal screws on the bootom.

The steering and all other linkage, spring etc is scratchbuild

Most of the engine is 3Dprinted with lot's of extra pieces made from wire and metal. Tube for the sparkplugs a turned and milled like that tube on the right. The silver part on top is also 3dprinted and detailed with some screws...

That's it for now. Next I will finish the wheels. Lot's of drilling, bending spokes and trying to stay sane.

Good Night !

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

Really impressive. That printer is reasonably priced. Hmmmm.
Michael Chriss

Topic author
daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Germany

Post by daniel »

Adjusting the last pieces to the engine. This will be the throttle linkage..not to correct but the parts that are visible once finished will look ok.

Wheels turned out really nice, especially when compared to the kit parts. Adding the spokes was a little tricky but in the end it all went very well.

blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

Those wheels look really good! I like how you 3d printed the rims and hub, one of those machines may be in my future.

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

Wow! very cool

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

That is a very beautiful build!
Remarkable how much more detail you are adding, and how effective they are.
Very impressed over here!
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)