1/20 MFH Ferrari 312/67 (Complete)

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

1/20 MFH Ferrari 312/67 (Complete)

Post by CelicaGT »

I've been wanting to build this model for a very long time but I'd never gotten the chance until recently. This is my first MFH so we'll see how that goes, but I am very excited! :D

I do have a few questions for those more experienced in building MFH kits. :?:

I'd like to leave some parts in bare white metal (engine). Will the white metal tarnish or change color over time if I leave it bare?

Are Tamiya primers & Tamiya TS paints good for the resin body? I've never built any resin models before, are there any things to watch out for with resin?

And finally, the most difficult question...what is the best Tamiya TS color for a 1960s Ferrari? Is it TS-8 (Italian Red)? :mrgreen:

Here's a little bit of the progress that I've made:

More to come soon...
Last edited by CelicaGT on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leftkeys
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Bill
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari
United States of America

Re: 1/20 MFH Ferrari 312/67

Post by Leftkeys »

I’m far from an expert, but what I’ve learned so far on this place is:

Polish the white metal parts magnetically if you have one of those. Otherwise a liberal dose of steel wool and polishers. Should be ok until you clear coat the parts after assembly.

Test fit everything.

For 1967 Ferrari red, prime the body parts with gray, then pink, then period correct red. I used Zero Paints 1960s Rosso Corso. I just finished painting my 335S. Love the result, it’ll get decals and clear coat next up.

pgarat
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: PGarat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus…
Chris Amon, P.Depailler, James Hunt, Jim Clark, Tazio Nuvolari, Ascari…
France

Post by pgarat »

Cool!
One of my favorite!
I will follow the build with great interest.

Pascal 8)
I'd rather be flying!

If only Closed Minds came with Closed Mouth

blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

I'd love to have this kit in 1/12, someday perhaps I'll find one affordable.

I'm no expert either but here are a few thoughts,

I like to leave the white metal part "metal" looking unless they are painted a color. I like to either polish or sand them to the desired finish with sand paper or steel wool, whether your trying to replicate brushed aluminum or polished or even cast iron like a brake caliper. typically I clear coat with Alclad matt, flat or clear gloss, you can get a variety of finishes. I have left some polished white metal pieces un clear coated time will tell if they tarnish or not.

Here is a raw brake drum vs one finished with a wash and flat clear.

As for the resin parts they work pretty much like your typical plastic model parts, just make sure you wash them well to get the mold release off otherwise paint won't stick to them.

Have fun!

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Leftkeys wrote:I’m far from an expert, but what I’ve learned so far on this place is:

Polish the white metal parts magnetically if you have one of those. Otherwise a liberal dose of steel wool and polishers. Should be ok until you clear coat the parts after assembly.

Test fit everything.

For 1967 Ferrari red, prime the body parts with gray, then pink, then period correct red. I used Zero Paints 1960s Rosso Corso. I just finished painting my 335S. Love the result, it’ll get decals and clear coat next up.
I don't have a magnetic polisher but I have been using steel wool and a brass brush drill attachment. No kidding about the test fitting! That seems to be crucial, and there's a lot more sanding, etc. required than in Tamiya/Ebbro kits.
blakebirk wrote:I'd love to have this kit in 1/12, someday perhaps I'll find one affordable.

I'm no expert either but here are a few thoughts,

I like to leave the white metal part "metal" looking unless they are painted a color. I like to either polish or sand them to the desired finish with sand paper or steel wool, whether your trying to replicate brushed aluminum or polished or even cast iron like a brake caliper. typically I clear coat with Alclad matt, flat or clear gloss, you can get a variety of finishes. I have left some polished white metal pieces un clear coated time will tell if they tarnish or not.

Here is a raw brake drum vs one finished with a wash and flat clear.

As for the resin parts they work pretty much like your typical plastic model parts, just make sure you wash them well to get the mold release off otherwise paint won't stick to them.

Have fun!
Thanks for the tips. I will make sure to wash everything carefully before painting.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Progress has been slow but I have completed some more work on the engine. At the same time I have been cleaning up all of the white metal pieces and doing lots of drilling. Not much else to see yet...

pgarat
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: PGarat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus…
Chris Amon, P.Depailler, James Hunt, Jim Clark, Tazio Nuvolari, Ascari…
France

Post by pgarat »

Great progress.
I'd rather be flying!

If only Closed Minds came with Closed Mouth

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Very nice work. GPL made this one of my favorite F1 cars so I love to see it being built.

Jordan

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Indy1977TX wrote:Very nice work. GPL made this one of my favorite F1 cars so I love to see it being built.

Jordan
Me too! GPL is still one of my favorite games ever. 8)

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Finally some more progress.

The cockpit area is not a great fit unfortunately. The two wall pieces fit beautifully with the floor but then it makes a box that's too narrow for the seat to fit in and the front piece with pedals won't fit either. :( It makes it tough to make sure everything is square when you have to leave a gap.

So I'm working on that. I know MFH is not Tamiya but it's still a little frustrating.

There are so many small things to work on I feel like I haven't made much progress at all. A few things: the radiator is polished & PE added, the back of the instrument panel is done, the roll-bar is painted.

I've also started in on priming. I noticed the white metal seemed to have some pitting even after a lot of sanding, which is still visible after priming so I'll have to go back and putty that.

Edit, almost forgot the engine is complete (except for the mesh) and a wash has been applied.