Project 18db_model in 1/20

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Project 18db_model in 1/20

Post by lezdep »

Here is a teaser of my current project. No timeline or any kind of promise to make from it.

Apparently it's not possible to just scale game mesh to 1/20, print parts on 3D printer and glue it together.
While 3D CAD models could be scaled pretty much infinitely in both directions, it is not the same when it
comes to resolution and materials used in modern 3D printers. After scaling to 1/20, most of the parts still
either don't have any thickness or not thick enough for 3D printer to print even at highest resolution. So,
I have spent last 3 weeks splitting meshes and modifying them to get desired thickness. There is no way I
could make them true to scale. Even at 1/12, some would still be too thin. I've seen real CF parts of Racing
Point F1 car and some of them are like 1-2mm in 1:1. In 1/20 they would be less then 0.1mm thick. Don't
know of any 3D printer service that would be able to print them.

I am still not finished with adding thickness to parts. When I am done with that, I will have to clean parts
from undesired artifacts of scaling process. Then I will have to figure out how to remove portions that now
interfere between parts. After that I will need to arrange parts and add sprue connections to reduce print
cost. And then I could hopefully send them to printing service for a test shot. Still lots of work to do and no
guarantee it will all work out in the end.

Big "Thank You" goes to scaleautofactory and smirkoff for their support !

Image[/url]

PS: From project name one could work out what car it is - dark blue car from 2018 F1 season.

scaleautofactory
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH44
Germany

Re: Project 18db_model in 1/20

Post by scaleautofactory »

Respect! Well done so far.

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

Looks promising so far, I'd be interested to see the final printing price. Although it's too late for my project!

The bargeboards section will probably take you another 3 weeks, they're sooo complicated. I'll be cutting mine out of plasticard and going for like ~80% accuracy.

shood23
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by shood23 »

That is some very good work there Sergey. I for one am so happy that so many guys on here now are looking to the 3d printing route, its going to mean we have some fantastic variety in future years.

Shaun

RE60B
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Cédric
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: RENAULT
France

Post by RE60B »

Ingenieer Sergey! :shock:

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

After I completed parts to my satisfaction and to fit Shapeways' minimal thickness requirements, I finally was able to get a quote from them on how much
it will cost me to get all parts printed. I did not like prices I've got quoted. Too much money for 1/20 model. Played with layout of the parts following their
recommendations on how to lower print cost with no effect. Either their recommendations are outdated and their new pricing formulas don't care about
parts layout any more. Or I don't understand how to use their recommendations.

So, I started to look for alternatives. Apparently modern desktop SLA/DLP 3D printers with around 70 to 100 micron XY and down to 20 micron Z axis resolution
are already under $500 price range now. I've got test print done by MoFo for me and it looks like I should be able to print parts I have developed on a hobby
grade desktop printer. It is starting to make more sense to invest into my own SLA/DLP printer, then give almost same amount of money to Shapeways.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Nice! What printer was this done on?

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

jaykay wrote:Nice! What printer was this done on?
MoFo has printed it for me on Anycubic Photon. Big kudos to him.
Last edited by lezdep on Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

Love it!
Nice skills on the 3D drawings...

I am still looking for the paint to start mine....
Decals have been shipped to me.
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

lezdep wrote: It is starting to make more sense to invest into my own SLA/DLP printer, then give almost same amount of money to Shapeways.
That's exactly the reason I have mine (and my FDM printer) - I was going to be spending close to the same amount of money to have someone else print some stuff; this way, I get to keep the tool (and print lots of other cool stuff for 'free'). :D
Je ne regrette rien.