2018 Ferrari SF71H 1/20 DTM

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 2018 Ferrari SF71H 1/20 DTM

Post by gp-models »

Very nice paint job! Keep it comin!
Take a stand!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

just drooling here.... :shock:

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Great progress ! Livery decals should not be an issue. I find models coming alive as I apply livery decals.
And I also find that job almost therapeutic compared to masking and CF decals, at least for me :)

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
racingkars wrote:Looking good!
Nice to see your progress.
I am working on the same kit (Canada version) which i am trying to convert to a USA version
Nice! I noticed on your website and have been keeping tabs on your build :)
lezdep wrote:Great progress ! Livery decals should not be an issue. I find models coming alive as I apply livery decals.
And I also find that job almost therapeutic compared to masking and CF decals, at least for me :)
Agreed! That's why I think I'll try to mix in some CF decal application before I do the sponsor decals. Save the fun for last so to speak. Thankfully I did most of the templating for the everything except for the floor before painting so I only need to cut and apply.
http://www.f1modelling.com

jorgeralvear
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Jorge Alvear
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Kimi/Ferrari
Chile

Post by jorgeralvear »

Fantastic. Great job prepping the pieces, all the attachments look smooth now.

kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Leclerc
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

looks amazing :)

ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

Your progress is fantastic! She really looks nice.

How does that Zero paint look compared to something like Tamiya TS-49? These Ferraris the last couple of years seem to have gone back in time to the "orange" red of the Schumi era.

I am working on the Tamiya SF-70H right now, and am using TS-49. Just wondering what that Zero paint looks like in person in comparison.

Keep up the good work!

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

ringleheim wrote:Your progress is fantastic! She really looks nice.

How does that Zero paint look compared to something like Tamiya TS-49? These Ferraris the last couple of years seem to have gone back in time to the "orange" red of the Schumi era.

I am working on the Tamiya SF-70H right now, and am using TS-49. Just wondering what that Zero paint looks like in person in comparison.

Keep up the good work!
Unfortunately I can't really answer this question because I haven't personally seen TS-49 in person, but I doubt you'll go wrong either way. I believe with the SF70H kit, the TS-49 should be colour-matched with the Scuderia Ferrari decal on the sides of the airbox, whereas when I used Zero Paints SF70H the red came out very slightly darker than the decal red. I used it over white primer. Hope that helps

ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

Thanks, yes, that helps.

I'm looking forward to your next update!

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Hi everyone! Update time!

First of all I'd like to announce my own personal blog I worked on for most of last month!
https://www.f1modelling.com/

https://www.f1modelling.com/

I didn't really intend on the name being so similar to this forum's, I just came up with it in a spur of the moment when I was trying to come up with a handle for my Instagram page. It is in no way meant to steal traffic away from this forum which holds a very special place in my heart :D

My intention is to hopefully spread this hobby to younger people who are less likely to frequent online forums like this one, and are more often on social media platforms like Instagram. Currently I've copied most of my old WIP posts onto my website as well as created a new gallery of my completed builds. In the future I intend on creating a page for tutorials aimed at both novices and experts alike.

Don't worry, I'll still be posting my WIP here regularly, I'll just be posting on my own website more frequently and in smaller chunks. Then when decent progress has been made I'll compile it into one longer WIP post here, to avoid spamming the forum every other day. I may also have supplementary images on my site, and I might also use more novice-friendly language on my site, as most people here are more experienced than I am anyways.

I also think that the viewing experience might be slightly better on my website where I have greater control over image formatting, but nobody here is under obligation to visit it!

Onto the update:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This update revolves around the application of carbon fibre decals for the SF71H.

I decided to begin with the sidepods, as I believed this would be the most difficult area of the build to template and decal. I use Scale Motorsport carbon fibre water slide decals (most of the time I use 1/24 scale as it’s more accurate and subtle than 1/20 scale in my opinion) as it is incredibly forgiving to put into place, and using hairdryer and Micro Sol will conform to pretty much any surface, no matter how complex. I would define SF71H sidepods as “complex”.

It took a few hours for the areas shown above, and I’m very satisfied with how it turned out despite not being 100% perfectly neat. Plus, these areas will actually be covered for the most part by the sidepod airflow conditioners later.

The next area to tackle is the front wing. The front wing consists of some 30+ individual pieces of carbon fibre to template and apply. I’m taking it slow.

The endless onslaught of carbon fibre decals has worn me thin, so I’ve begun applying the sponsor decals. I started with the shark-fin. Because I masked and painted the fin white, I didn’t need the whole white area of the provided decal. I cut the critical bits from it and left the rest.

I didn’t exactly nail the positioning of the sidepod decals. It was pretty hard to position them correctly, as the stickers on the real car varied slightly in position race by race. I guess I won’t get too hung up on accurate positioning if they don’t for the real car.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I hate these stupid Shell decals. They were awful to apply on Tamiya’s SF70H, and they’re awful to apply here. This is what they look like during application:

They fared marginally better in this kit, I managed to avoid wrinkles as large as the ones I encountered on the SF70H, but I just couldn’t eliminate them. The left sidepod logo came out a little better than the right, but I’ll continue working away at it with some Micro Sol and a knife.

The decalling will continue until morale improves.