Lotus 102B & 102D 1/20 Tamiya Double Build

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Lotus 102B & 102D 1/20 Tamiya Double Build

Post by SebLeung »

Long time no update! Since my last update almost a year ago things have gotten much smoother. I picked up on these again some time after I finished my W08. I did a lot of work without posting updates so I've made quite a lot of progress.

I'd actually done work on the engine prior to my last update but never got around to posting it, but I just want to share some modifications I'd made to the engines and gearboxes to differentiate the two cars, as there were differences in real life.

Left is how the parts came OOB and right has modifications for the 102B radiator piping.

Rudimentary scratch build of some electrical components on the 102D

Painted black

First time using A/N fittings - pretty cool things

And this is what they're like today:

I used aluminum foil for heat shielding on the 102D. The rear assemblies were pretty awful to assemble, as I hate those stupid Tamiya uprights that require you to squeeze a plastic ball through a small plastic hole. It can often require way more force than the plastic can tolerate, even after using pliers to squeeze the balls smaller. As a result, both of the drive shafts on my 102D snapped (well one was broken OOB but it re-broke), which is annoying because they're painted silver and very noticeable. Don't think I'll be able to repair them much. Just hope nobody notices.

Here's where they stand - wings and wheels are complete too, just not pictured.

All that's remaining on these is to finish wiring up the engine/gearbox/electrical box etc., finish radiator piping, create seatbelts, throw everything else together.

Hopefully next update soon!
http://www.f1modelling.com

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Nice and clean work, great paint job on both cars! Love it! :)
Take a stand!

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful paintjobs, looking forward to the finished result

sh-modeling
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by sh-modeling »

Very nice and clean! For some reasons the Tamiya 102D kit is missing the correct electronic parts on top of the gearbox. But you filled the gap ;-)
Best wishes,
Steffen

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

sh-modeling wrote:Very nice and clean! For some reasons the Tamiya 102D kit is missing the correct electronic parts on top of the gearbox. But you filled the gap ;-)
I looked at my 102D, other than decals its basically just a 102B, some of the parts even say 102B on them!

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Thanks everyone, I need all the motivation I can get. I really want to get these out of my pipeline since to be honest I don't really care for these cars, I have no connection to them. I just decided to start them spontaneously last year because I thought they'd be a fun, low stakes project.
stubeck wrote:
sh-modeling wrote:Very nice and clean! For some reasons the Tamiya 102D kit is missing the correct electronic parts on top of the gearbox. But you filled the gap ;-)
I looked at my 102D, other than decals its basically just a 102B, some of the parts even say 102B on them!
Yes, every part is the same save for the engine, the gearbox cover (which is based on the 102B gearbox, but the fit has been adjusted on the 102D to accommodate the DFV), and the little triangle thingy on in front of the cockpit for the 102D. I also forgot to mention that I added a small radiator on top of the gearbox of the 102D that I took from a donor F189. I think the 102D is also supposed to have some kind of electronic or hydraulic box between the monocoque and the engine but there's not enough space in the kit to do that. I'm going to be winging/fudging a lot of the wire connections on these since reference photos are very sparse and very low resolution.

Again, huge thanks to Steffen_T for the references, otherwise these builds would not have been possible.

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

I experimented with the scratch built radiator piping, a highly necessary skill for Tamiya kits apparently. I used 1.6mm soldering wire for the pipes, and blue heat shrink for the hose connectors and thin wire for the ties, I just wish the heat shrink was thinner. I might experiment with stretching it out, but I'll save that for future models. For now this is passable for me.

Test fit

I fixed the foil on the floors because I realized I had it backwards. I knew it was odd that the foil was everywhere BUT beneath the exhausts... Also gives a little opportunity to further differentiate the B from the D. I also realized too late that the green decals shouldn't have been put on the 102B floor, but they're sealed now so oh well.

I modified the head rest of the 102D to reflect the one that was used in the San Marino GP

Made the seatbelts as well

Final cockpit - the sides of the seats should be black yes, but they won't be visible in the monocoque so whatever. The shifter knob is polished wood so I tried to brush some subtle grain effects into it.

Wings were completed a few months ago but I never posted pictures

I hope to complete the models this week, just need to fit everything together and finish wiring things up.

KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Sorry to hear of your Painting problems, I've been struggling with Paint/ Lacquer problems too. Horrible isn't it? Can I ask what Carbon fibre Decals you're using? Both the Black & Yellow look really good, who makes them?

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Great update! What do you use to bend the solder at such precise angles, and do you polish the solder at all to get that finish?

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Very lovely builds. Glad you've stayed with them despite the issues. It's coming out beautifully.