Lotus 102B & 102D 1/20 Tamiya Double Build

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: Lotus 102B & 102D 1/20 Tamiya Double Build

Post by Steffen_T »

SebLeung wrote: There's obviously a lack of communication between the two departments.
Not just there... I recently did the dry fit on one of there kits and the rearwing became a nightmare. 11 parts were involved: 5 parts made of whitemetall, 5 parts made of PE and a connection to the resin undertray.I couldn't get that damn thing stick together right. The PE parts turned out to be the culprit here too, and I ended up replacing some of them with styrene.

I could imagine if you compare the Tamiya decal for the endplate with the studio27 endplate you would end up with exactly the same problem.

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

You are doing an amazing job there, tackling two kits at once, I cannot even handle one!!!
Sorry to see those troubles with paint contamination. And when you say each touch up caused more problems, vividly brings me back to Fujimi MP4/6 when I fixed one thing and caused damages to another two! I know the feeling, but you are overcoming those problems really well, I adore both cars, I have the 102B and now I fear the bad fit and the decals placement seems not easy all. Again your build is superb! Keep going!
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

RE60B
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Cédric
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: RENAULT
France

Post by RE60B »

RESPECT 8)

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

All right so another week another nightmare setback. It's not all bad though so I'll start with the good:

Final application of 2K clear for the 102D engine cover went well. In the end it took a total of 5-6 coats of clear on the engine cover but thankfully the fit isn't "thickness critical" since it only sits on top of the monocoque. I will be moving forward with the floor and internals of this build.

Onto the very bad news:
At the same time as 102D, I tried to apply a coat of 2K clear to the 102B as well recovering from the contamination issue from the last update. As I tried to apply it, my airbrush let out a sputter and released some thick globs of clear onto the body. Not a huge deal, but a waste of 2 days of waiting for it to dry, sanding flat, washing, then re-applying. Yesterday I applied another layer of clear, and it went well. Just a few dust specks I had to polish out. I was polishing with ScratchX and my low-RPM dremel + wool buffing wheel (hand polishing 2K simply doesn't work) and was about to do my third and final pass. Things were finally about to come together. I slipped up and let a part of the spinning medal chuck of the dremel ding the engine cover, creating a small chip in the clear coat. Sigh. Fine. This is fixable. Out came the sand paper and I sanded the clear down flat and got ready to re-apply clear by soaking in detergent, giving it a scrub, rinsing off, and letting dry.

Applied a tack-coat, that went fine. Applied a slightly thicker coat which also went fine. Final wet coat? More fish-eyes and craters than I've ever seen in my life. It looked like the surface of the moon at one point with maybe 50-60 craters on just one side of the engine cover. I decided to flood with 2K to lessen the number of craters and to give me a bigger buffer to sand down flat. That's if I decide to even bother honestly, it might be a write off unfortunately. I'm pretty gutted.

Honestly I'm not sure what could've caused this. I thought it could've been residue from the polish, but the fisheyes appeared on the sides where I didn't polish. It couldn't have been contamination in my airbrush or plastic droppers since it applied perfectly fine to a wing piece I did at the same time. I'm thinking maybe I didn't rinse off the detergent properly, but I didn't really do anything differently this time. The one saving grace is that there are a lot of layers of clear so I can sand down quite aggressively without having to worry about going through it, but at this point I'm really wondering if it's worth continuing to pursue this 102B. It'll be very hard to sand down some areas and the panel lines are starting to look quite flooded after so many layers of clear. Stripping and re-starting isn't an option because I'm not willing to pay another $50 for a set of Vector Magic decals.

I'm kicking myself because had I not slipped up with the dremel, it would very likely be in a perfect state right now. I'd managed to get an almost glass-like coat.

In any case, I'll be continuing with the 102D for sure.
http://www.f1modelling.com

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

That can be saved. It will take a lot of work with polishing but it should come good. I always use automotive panel wipe after I've sanded and before I apply the clear coat. You can also get an additive to add to the clear to prevent the fish eyes. Those plastic pipettes can be the source of contamination, I've suffered before, so now I only use wooden sticks to transfer the clear and to stir it. Had no issues since I ditched the plastic pipettes.
Steve Noble

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Shame about the 102B, I'd say don't chuck it in the bin yet, put it aside and work on it later. Personally when I keep working on a kit with endless touch ups and repair work, I get frustrated and keep making more mistakes, so I'd leave it and do something else.
The 102D is coming out just fine, keep going with that!
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

SteveNoble wrote:That can be saved. It will take a lot of work with polishing but it should come good. I always use automotive panel wipe after I've sanded and before I apply the clear coat. You can also get an additive to add to the clear to prevent the fish eyes. Those plastic pipettes can be the source of contamination, I've suffered before, so now I only use wooden sticks to transfer the clear and to stir it. Had no issues since I ditched the plastic pipettes.
Whats the additive? I've had a lot of issues with some of the kits I've put into a brake fluid bath not being cleaned well enough (Despite my best work to clean them!) and I'm getting fisheyes no matter what I do.

senninha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by senninha »

On the Lotus i had the same issues on a small area of the front wing... the reason was the polish.. i used 2k from Zeros and their polishing set.. After that mistake, I have tested it to find out, if my suggestion was right.. it was right. The 2k hardener oder thinner react with the polish mixture...

best regards

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Thanks for the tips and encouragement everyone. I'll look into acquiring some Zero Paints fisheye eliminator in the future. I'm still not convinced that polish alone was the cause of this, again because I didn't polish the sides yet the fisheyes still appeared there. Even if it was polish residue, I already soaked it in warm detergent + water and if that didn't do enough to remove it I don't know what I could do to avoid it in the future.
stubeck wrote:
SteveNoble wrote:That can be saved. It will take a lot of work with polishing but it should come good. I always use automotive panel wipe after I've sanded and before I apply the clear coat. You can also get an additive to add to the clear to prevent the fish eyes. Those plastic pipettes can be the source of contamination, I've suffered before, so now I only use wooden sticks to transfer the clear and to stir it. Had no issues since I ditched the plastic pipettes.
Whats the additive? I've had a lot of issues with some of the kits I've put into a brake fluid bath not being cleaned well enough (Despite my best work to clean them!) and I'm getting fisheyes no matter what I do.
It's this product here: https://www.zero-paints.com/Fisheye_Eli ... --333.html

I sanded down the 102B engine cover both carefully and aggressively. I should be able to pull through, it'll probably take 2 more coats of clear plus sanding in between to fully even out the craters. That is assuming nothing goes wrong with the next two coats... the shape will be compromised a bit, especially around curves and edges. At this point if I can finish it I'll be happy enough. Still though, I won't be able to touch it until it gets warmer.

http://www.f1modelling.com

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I like your determination to get a result out of this kit. I think you'll succeed. Following your progress with interest...