1/20 2018 Red Bull RB14 - from Tam SF70H

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Re: 1/20 2018 Red Bull RB14 - from Tam SF70H

Post by racingkars »

Still following with interest.
Very nice work on this one, Tyrone.
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

great job, looking forward to see more

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

Update Time!

So, I've been hard at work making barge-boards from Scratch*

*From a chopped up spare rear wing from a lotus 72

I first tried the SF70-h barge-boards, but they sat too far forward.

So I attacked them with a knife, and sat them back from to match the positioning of the Rb14.

The sf70h kit bargeboards were pretty much a single piece, whereas the red bull was made from several elements.

I used up a spare wing from a lotus 72 build, and it was the right dimensions (mostly - but I dont have the skill to build a better one myself)

I toyed with the idea of using spare parts from a Sauber, F2001 and an f60 to try and find a wing shape that worked.

Primer reveals the sanding needed on the Halo.

I made some cuts in the floor to mimic how the car raced in Hungary, but it didn't work as well as I planned, so I will fill these in and try a different method - maybe buying the floor parts from Smirkoff on Shapeways and using the sf71-h bits to mimic the red bull?

Or I might just leave it, as it'll look 'ok' when covered with a carbon decal and painted with a semigloss coat.

Still a lot of work to get this to where It'll be pain-table, a lot of rough edges, to sand flat.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Nice updates. Have you thought about making the nose available for sales for those who want the look of a Red Bull but not the complete overhaul you've done?

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

great work Tyrone

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

Update Time AGAIN! Quick progress on this one.

I wasn't happy with the barge boards I had made, they were flat, and I thought it would be okay, but it looked too far from the car to be 'close enough' for my RB14 replica.

As viewed from the front they were vertical.

I've added a little bend, but I can't get them quite right, but they now have more of a flowing shape. So not 100% but they'll look okay on the shelf.

I also accidentally used white primer rather than grey, so now there is odd colours.

You can see the chops and changes I made to the front wing, I removed the vertical support below the winglets, and added the horizontal elements that are on the Rb14, I also chopped the side bits from the end plates.

So, what's left?

Well the aerodeflectors under the nose between the front wheels need to be repaired, then I'll start assembling the car interior, and start PAINTING.

Still don't know how i'm going to get the body colour right.

Also the Decals from Pattos arent fluorescent so I might need to paint over them with Mr Colour Fluorescent Paints, however... I can never seem to clean these from my paint brushes. Any tips?

Here's the Rb14 compared to the RB6 (it's actually using the SRT4 Decals) You can see the difference in car length and width.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Nice update. Good to see an actual comparision with a recent car too. Some of the stuff going around the internet with 1/18th scale cars compared to 1/20th are getting a bit silly.

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

stubeck wrote:Nice update. Good to see an actual comparision with a recent car too. Some of the stuff going around the internet with 1/18th scale cars compared to 1/20th are getting a bit silly.
I'm assuming you're talking about the Monopost W08 vs Studio27 MP4-22 image that was circulating. Just want to clear up that the W08 is accurately 1/20 scaled, it's actually the MP4-22 that Studio27 made a mess of. It's not necessarily that the MP4-22 is shrunken and out of scale, but the proportions are just really messed up. I've got the MP4-22, F2008, and F1.08 in my stash and the MP4-22 ends up being a whole wheel shorter than the F1.08 (the F1.08 is also too long). If you look up pictures of any built S27 MP4-22, you'll see that the rear half is comically stubby. Anyways sorry for the rant, but those were my thoughts when I saw that particular image circulating.

Tyrone, you're doing an amazing job! You're seriously a master of modern F1 conversions. Can't wait to see it with paint on. I have a bunch that the dark blue paint may have a very subtle metallic element to it, but it's very hard to tell with the matte finish. Is the Red Bull logo supposed to be fluorescent?
http://www.f1modelling.com

shood23
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by shood23 »

Is it just me but does it not look fantastic in white.

Shaun

Andrey
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Andrey »

gxXyBoeapl4.jpg