Tamiya FW13B

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Re: Tamiya FW13B

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Wow!!! Fantastic work on the Williams, really coming out nice.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Cheers,
Chris

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Really nice work. This seems to be the Tamiya kit that is in everyone's stash but never gets built for some reason - even though it's a nice looking car with a great paint scheme. Your build is coming along very well and it looks like the carbon work is paying off.

CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:Really nice work. This seems to be the Tamiya kit that is in everyone's stash but never gets built for some reason - even though it's a nice looking car with a great paint scheme. Your build is coming along very well and it looks like the carbon work is paying off.
I too have this kit in my stash, but this build may motivate me to dust it off. Great progress so far Bossy!

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Took a bit of a step back. I flew too close to the sun and melted one of the end plates. Fortunately, I have 3 of these things in my stash! Not sure how that came to be, but..... I used one as a donor for an FW12 tranny, so I have a replacement end plate.....I just can't cement it in place like I would prefer.
The nice thick plastic on the brakes didn't melt.
Attachments
FW13B 04.JPG
oops
oops

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I overcome the melted end plate only to go to the front wing and run into problems with that. I used the kits white decal for the rear wing and being as old as it was, it was doomed. First, it got one of those wonderful creases when I hit it with the hair dryer. Amazingly, I was able to sand that smooth ( 600 - 2000) but the remaining problem was that it was so patchy looking, over all. No problem, I have white decal sheets.....that were pretty damn old too! I tried 3 separate attempts and none would work without some sort of issue. The last one wouldn't adhere fully but the parts that DID, did too well and that all went rather badly, rather quickly. In the end, I had order a sheet of Scale Mototrsports carbon to replace what got ruined. At some point I will receive a sheet of Studio 27 white stripe decals and finish this thing.
Attachments
FW13B 08.JPG
FW13B 05.JPG
FW13B 06.JPG
FW13B 07.JPG

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

All done. I hope to get some better pics soon.
For whatever reason, if you click on the pictures, they show up in focus....that's not me.
Attachments
FW13B 09.JPG

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Excellent work, it’s a nice kit but ignored by many.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Very nice model of the FW13B. I see you have a good recovery for the decal work.

In one of my kits, Tamiya or Fujimi, it recommends to use a hot towel to press down decals. I try that and find it much saver than the hair dryer. I have deformed at least 3 different car bodies using hair dry either for straighten body or decal work. Polystyrene's starts to flow at 100 degC which is quite low.
C K
Canada

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

CK wrote:Very nice model of the FW13B. I see you have a good recovery for the decal work.

In one of my kits, Tamiya or Fujimi, it recommends to use a hot towel to press down decals. I try that and find it much saver than the hair dryer. I have deformed at least 3 different car bodies using hair dry either for straighten body or decal work. Polystyrene's starts to flow at 100 degC which is quite low.

In some areas, i'll cover the non decal area with a piece of tin foil. That endplate came down to me not paying attention.....I do that sometimes.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

If you hold the piece that you are warming in your hand your hand will be too hot before the plastic will be damaged.

Nice result in the end. Looks good.