Tamiya FW13B

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Tamiya FW13B

Post by bossy122 »

My year long wait for Shunko to rerelease their FW13B decals finally ended last month and as soon as I received my set, this kit skipped to the head of the line!
I built an FW13B previously, using the Tamiya kit decals, but I was never really happy about using preprinted blue, I wanted to paint my own blue. Everyone but Shunko printed theirs with one shade of blue or another but the Shunko ones were NO WHERE to be found for at least the year that I searched.
I decided to give this new TS shade of blue a try; TS93 Pure Blue, which seams to be more or less TS 50 Mica Blue without the Mica.....maybe a little lighter. Then fun thing with that era of Williams cars is the blue looks different in each picture you see, some dark, some really light that made the whole thing really not work for me and then the latest pic I saw was closer to the 93, but to each their own.
So far i've painted and decaled it. Start there so if that doesn't work, why bother? I'm also using Studio 27s carbon fiber set. For whatever reason, my set is incredibly brittle, so that's been fun to deal with. Now to move the project forward.
Progress so far:
Attachments
Originally, I maaked off all the white areas but then I noticed Shunko printed those areas, soo....
Originally, I maaked off all the white areas but then I noticed Shunko printed those areas, soo....
.....I went back and painted the tub blue.
.....I went back and painted the tub blue.
20181030_165141_resized.jpg
20181111_203343_resized.jpg
20181111_203439_resized.jpg
20181114_235516_resized.jpg
20181116_235916_resized.jpg

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya FW13B

Post by daveyman »

Great job. Such an attractive livery.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Excellent start and wonderful paint job.

gerty
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by gerty »

Nice job with the paint and decals !

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Excellent start. The blue you used looks spot on to my eye. I built this a while ago and used Mr Color GX5 Susie Blue, it looks similar to the Tamiya Pure Blue that you used. I also used two sets of decals, the first set was applied and used as a masking template for the other colours. It was an expensive way of doing it but it worked really well..
Steve Noble

CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

Looks great so far! Looking forward to seeing the Shunko decals + Studio 27 CF decals. The Studio 27 CF decals are brittle but respond well to heat. Use plenty of hot water, micro-sol and a hair dryer.

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

CTurbert wrote:Looks great so far! Looking forward to seeing the Shunko decals + Studio 27 CF decals. The Studio 27 CF decals are brittle but respond well to heat. Use plenty of hot water, micro-sol and a hair dryer.
That's the formula. I've done the MP4/4, Jordan 191 and the Leyton House sets but I don't recall them being quite as brittle as these are. Maybe I just got a "bad" sheet. Now I get to do all the butt end parts. Does anyone know for certain if the CF at the time was flat or glossy? I covered the air boxes in flat, but i'm not sure about the front wing and the rest of the black CF.
Attachments
Started with the yellow ( reached my max of seven on the original post)
Started with the yellow ( reached my max of seven on the original post)

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

A fantastic job on that car!
The CF was flat for the whole car except the wings, were it either was glossy or semi-gloss. I will send you a pm.

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Steffen_T wrote:A fantastic job on that car!
The CF was flat for the whole car except the wings, were it either was glossy or semi-gloss. I will send you a pm.

Thanks for the pics, very helpful. All looks rather flat/dull except the rear brake ducts.

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Plugging along on this project. Lots of carbon fiber to do. One small problem with the black carbons; at least on the set I have, they're offset just enough that there's a noticeable white outline on one edge of each decal.
Attachments
FW13B med.JPG
20181124_222039_resized.jpg
20181124_222047_resized.jpg