Ebbro McLaren MP4/31

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Ebbro McLaren MP4/31

Post by gp-models »

Very nice CF work! Looks great :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

lezdep wrote:Amazing work ! Looks great !

Btw, what decal solution do you use with those S27 CF decals, if any ?
Thanks! I use copious amounts of micro-sol but I ran out, so I've been using Tamiya mark fit strong. The decals are more reactive to heat and pressure however the solution helps. For example, micro-sol will instantly soften or even melt Scale Motorsport CF decals, but these hardly react. I find that I have to use a lot of force to apply the decals. For example, I often need to carefully put the part between my thumb and forefinger and press down on the decal to get it to adhere to the base paint.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

Well, it's 99% complete! I just need to add the nose cameras and a small piece between the tea-tray and monocoque. All pieces have been clear coated and mounted to the car.

Here's the front wing dry fitted before clear coating. As you can see there are numerous CF decals. I painted the underside of the elements with X18 semi gloss black for more uniformity.

And here's the chassis minus the front and rear wings. The CF detail on the turning vanes and front suspension looks pretty good, as well as the rear. I took these pics while the front and rear wing pieces were drying after being sprayed with 2K clear.

And here's something I thought up last night for the rear wing support mount. As you can see, the 'rod' that operates the DRS flap is a thick blob of plastic.

So I ended up cutting it off and found a piece of metal rod left over from the MFH harness set.

I drilled a hole in both the rear wing mount and the rear wing flap and inserted the metal rod in to the mount.

And here's the end result! Much better looking than the thick plastic piece it replaced.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Looks great, looking forward to seeing it completed

Dougboy
F3
F3

Post by Dougboy »

Very nice build. I have this kit stashed and whenever I get to it, I will for sure come back to this thread as reference.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

Dougboy wrote:Very nice build. I have this kit stashed and whenever I get to it, I will for sure come back to this thread as reference.
Thanks! That's a huge compliment. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions when you decide to build it.

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Looking very neat and tidy! Can't wait to see the final product :)

I gotta say, Ebbro makes really nice Pirelli tyres - hopefully with Red Bull switching to Honda they'll make a kit with the current spec wide tyres too
http://www.f1modelling.com

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

SebLeung wrote:Looking very neat and tidy! Can't wait to see the final product :)

I gotta say, Ebbro makes really nice Pirelli tyres - hopefully with Red Bull switching to Honda they'll make a kit with the current spec wide tyres too
Thanks! Yes, and the Pirelli tires also sand very well. A Toro Rosso Honda or Red Bull RB15 Honda would be nice from Ebbro or even Tamiya!

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

CTurbert wrote:
SebLeung wrote:Looking very neat and tidy! Can't wait to see the final product :)

Thanks! Yes, and the Pirelli tires also sand very well. A Toro Rosso Honda or Red Bull RB15 Honda would be nice from Ebbro or even Tamiya!
If Ferrari manages to finally clinch the championship I feel 70% sure that Tamiya would make the kit. Then with the hope that Ebbro makes a Honda powered kit, I'd lose my mind if we ended up getting 2 cars from the same modern F1 season.
http://www.f1modelling.com

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

SebLeung wrote:
CTurbert wrote:

If Ferrari manages to finally clinch the championship I feel 70% sure that Tamiya would make the kit. Then with the hope that Ebbro makes a Honda powered kit, I'd lose my mind if we ended up getting 2 cars from the same modern F1 season.
That would be cool, but Red Bull's licensing costs come to mind. I recall reading that Tamiya had a tough time with the Red Bull license for the RB6, including making it nearly impossible to buy spare RB6 decal sheets, but maybe Ebbro can pull it off! I've had a lot of fun building recent season F1 kits. I may tackle the MP4/30 next, but we'll see.