Ebbro McLaren MP4/31

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Ebbro McLaren MP4/31

Post by CTurbert »

Time for another WIP thread. I picked this up from my LHS after wanting to build another modern era F1 car, albeit an unsuccessful one. I found some WIP threads of the MP4/30, but none for the MP4/31. The MP4/30 goes together very similarly to the MP4/31 so I won't be driving 100% blind. I'll be using the Spanish GP version of this kit.

As for extras, I'll be adding the Studio 27 CF decals, a PE seat belt and the missing Chandon/etc decals. Paint will be decanted Tamiya TS-40 followed by 2K clear.

I started by modifying the lower front suspension wishbone. This part glues in to place on the bottom of the monocoque, and is later covered by a panel with visible gaps that aren't present on the real car. I wanted to glue the panel in place before inserting the suspension, so I performed some minor surgery.

I also assembled all of the body panels. I need to clean up the gaps/seams and sand down the mold lines, but it went together very well with Tamiya like fit and engineering.

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Re: Ebbro McLaren MP4/31

Post by lezdep »

Good start ! Smart mod on suspension arm. I did not use CF on my MP4/30, so did not care to make such mod.
But it's definitely a great simple mod to do. Can I suggest TopStudio drive shafts and exhaust pipe sets ? Those are
couple not too expensive items, that will enhance finished model, inho.

I wish there were PE sets available for MP4/31 and SF70H that would replace number of thick and not to scale
elements of their front wings with thin PE parts. In particular links between flaps of front wing on MP4/31. We had
such set for F60, F248 and F2007 released in the past by S27 and Hobby Design. For some reason MP4/3x series and
SF70H did not get much attention from aftermarket :(

PS: Just looked it up and there was a couple of S27's PE sets that addressed my issue. I think I just found them too
expensive at the time I was building my MP4/30.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

lezdep wrote:Good start ! Smart mod on suspension arm. I did not use CF on my MP4/30, so did not care to make such mod.
But it's definitely a great simple mod to do. Can I suggest TopStudio drive shafts and exhaust pipe sets ? Those are
couple not too expensive items, that will enhance finished model, inho.

I wish there were PE sets available for MP4/31 and SF70H that would replace number of thick and not to scale
elements of their front wings with thin PE parts. In particular links between flaps of front wing on MP4/31. We had
such set for F60, F248 and F2007 released in the past by S27 and Hobby Design. For some reason MP4/3x series and
SF70H did not get much attention from aftermarket :(

PS: Just looked it up and there was a couple of S27's PE sets that addressed my issue. I think I just found them too
expensive at the time I was building my MP4/30.
Thanks! Yeah, oddly enough there are no PE sets available for the MP4/31. I might look in to the driveshafts and exhaust pipe. The flaps links/adjustments on the front wing are definitely too thick, and were also completely missing on the SF70H! I do know that Acu Stion has an SF70H detail set in the works but it will probably cost 2x or 3x more than the kit itself.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Looking forward to watching more of this come together

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

I've made some more progress by scribing the panel lines and sanding down any seams/imperfections. I try to not use filler unless it's absolutely necessary but I don't think it will be needed here.

Since the molded indentations for the side mirrors are so shallow I decided to glue them in place with Tamiya extra thin cement for a much stronger bond. I also glued these winglets that are directly behind the mirrors, as well as the airbox camera. Paint build-up would have made those pieces difficult to attach later on in the build.

I just laid down the first coat of primer on my lunch break. One of the perks of working from home. I still need to clean up some seams and accidental panel lines from knife slippage, but it's starting to look like an F1 car. I used Splash Paints white primer. The body will be sprayed with decanted TS-40 metallic black and Splash 2K clear.

I also prepared and cleaned up the other parts and will spray those separately.

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Looks good in primer. You know that TS40 is not correct color for this car, right ?
Matched paint from Zero or Gravity would be better choice, imho. But of course
it's up to you how you like to paint your model. Not judging :)

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

lezdep wrote:Looks good in primer. You know that TS40 is not correct color for this car, right ?
Matched paint from Zero or Gravity would be better choice, imho. But of course
it's up to you how you like to paint your model. Not judging :)
Thanks for the tip! I just bought a can of TS-40 assuming it was correct. I'll probably opt for Splash McLaren graphite.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

I decided to purchase McLaren Graphite from Splash Paints. I've had good experiences with their primer and 2K clear but this was the first actual color matched paint I've used from them. First I cleaned up the body and sanded down some bad scribe lines and ensured the gaps/seams were level, then sprayed a final coat of primer:

After the primer dried I sanded it down again, then sprayed the color coats. The paint isn't very opaque at first, but once the base coats are built up everything becomes uniform. The color is interesting. It's a very very dark metallic gray, almost like gunmetal with hints of gold. TS-40 definitely isn't the right color for this car.

While I wait for the paint to dry I will need to start working on the CF decals as they will be the most time consuming part of the build.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

I made some more progress over the past week. Despite my recent decision to apply decals over clear due to issues with my SF70H build, I applied the decals directly over the base coat which was actually pretty glossy. I used MSM Creation aftermarket decals for the Chandon, Johnnie Walker, Sensodyne, and Michael Kors markings. This combination of markings matches the Austrian and British GP's from 2016. The Ebbro decals went on beautifully. The MSM decals were very stubborn and barely reacted to Micro-Sol, but I was able to make them work in the end.

After a few days I sprayed the body with 2K clear. I'm extremely happy with how everything turned out. I've since sanded down and polished the body to smooth everything out and it looks great.

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Looks great ! Many people think that color is boring, but I personally like it.