Tamiya Ferrari F2001

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Tamiya Ferrari F2001

Post by CTurbert »

This is a commission build for one of my Instagram followers. Tamiya Ferrari F2001. This will be built box stock with the addition of the Scale Motorsport smoky decals. I am using Gravity Colors Rosso Scuderia. This should be a pretty quick and straight forward build as I won't be including CF decals or extra detailing.

The kit arrived partially started and needed a lot of cleanup. Fortunately I was able to strip all the paint with a simple bath of 99% alcohol. After all the parts were cleaned up I started assembling all the main body pieces before painting. I was able to get away with using filler by applying a lot of Tamiya extra thin cement and sanding down the seams. I also scribed the panel lines with the back of a #11 x-acto.

As I was working on my SF70H simultaneously, I took a pic of the two cars side by side. I realize these types of pics have been posted before but it's crazy to see how much larger the newer generation of cars have gotten.

After the body was cleaned up I covered it in Splash Paints white primer, sanded down some more imperfections, and applied one final coat. You can probably see some red from the plastic seeping through the primer. Luckily some final mist coats of primer took care of that. I'm not concerned about the bleed through with the parts that will be painted red, though I will spraying a base coat of silver for the parts that will be painted white; the front wing main-plane and both rear wing elements.

Yesterday I sprayed the Gravity Colors Ross Scuderia and it laid down beautifully with a semi-gloss sheen. I also painted the nosecone, front and rear wing endplates, and other bits red but didn't take pics of those. I will wait for this to gas out (It stinks!) then apply a thin layer of clear for the decals followed by a final coat of 2K clear.

I also worked on most of the engine bay and other mechanical components. The engine block and radiators were painted with Alclad Aluminum. All the black parts were painted with decanted TS-29 semi gloss black, and used random colors/shades of Alclad for the suspension wishbone joints and other parts. I will probably try to finish these while I want for the paint to gas out.

More to follow!

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya Ferrari F2001

Post by daveyman »

I always find it best to do my first coat of primer in grey. Totally seals everything and then a couple of white coats on top to restore the blank canvas.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Nice Start :) . Keep 'Em comin'.

GGSF1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by GGSF1 »

I'll be following this one as I plan to build it after the P34. It's looking great so far :)

I have a question. Clearly assembling the parts before painting is the way to go if you want to get rid of the seams. But I feel that then paining the inside of some parts (e.g. the air intakes) becomes a difficult task. How do you deal with that? These areas look well painted in your pictures.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

GGSF1 wrote:I'll be following this one as I plan to build it after the P34. It's looking great so far :)

I have a question. Clearly assembling the parts before painting is the way to go if you want to get rid of the seams. But I feel that then paining the inside of some parts (e.g. the air intakes) becomes a difficult task. How do you deal with that? These areas look well painted in your pictures.
Thanks! I airbrushed the red paint from various angles using multiple coats to ensure even coverage, especially around the back of the engine cover and the air intake. The only downside to this is the paint can be a little grainy in those hard to reach areas.

I've made some more progress with the engine/gearbox. I painted and attached the exhausts, brakes, and also rubbed off the Ferrari logo on the valve covers. I primed the valve covers with white primer, then sprayed the red top coat over that. After it dried I used a folded up paper towel dipped in rubbing alcohol and gently rubbed the top of the lettering. The primer underneath was unaffected and I'm pretty happy with it. I also detailed the steering wheel and tried to paint the buttons/knobs/switches as carefully as possible. I painted the exhausts with decanted TS-29 semi gloss black, followed by a mixture of Alclad aluminum, steel and pale gold. I used to paint my exhausts with Alclad chrome but most of the reference photos I've seen show the exhausts to be more of a burnt metal with orange/yellow tones.

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

Looking good!
Michael Chriss

gerty
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by gerty »

Very very nice work ! - and on the SF70H too ! Like that side by side pic.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

That work on the steering wheel is ridiculous, thats all free hand?

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

stubeck wrote:That work on the steering wheel is ridiculous, thats all free hand?
Thanks! Yes it is. The buttons have a raised circular edge around them that I was luckily able to paint with a #00 brush with thinned Tamiya acrylics. It's tedious and time consuming, but worth it in the end :)

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

CTurbert wrote:
stubeck wrote:That work on the steering wheel is ridiculous, thats all free hand?
Thanks! Yes it is. The buttons have a raised circular edge around them that I was luckily able to paint with a #00 brush with thinned Tamiya acrylics. It's tedious and time consuming, but worth it in the end :)
The work is great, I'm assuming you do a lot of passes at the same spot to get it covered right?