1/20 Ebbro Tyrrell 002 WIP

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Ebbro Tyrrell 002 WIP

Post by CelicaGT »

CK wrote:The paint job and polishing for the body work look great.

For this era of cars, I will not add a clear coat to it. Your highly polished finish is more realistic.
Thanks! I usually don't do clear coats anyways. I know people here get fantastic results and don't damage decals but I worry about ruining decals. Maybe if I do a modern car I'll try a clear coat. :)

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

I still just use hobby paints like Tamiya, Humbrol, ModelMaster, Vallejo, and Gunze for all my models. I strictly only use Tamiya acrylic clear gloss (X-22) with an airbrush for top coat over decals if needed. So far I have no problem with it.

Yes it need multiple layers and polishing afterwards.
C K
Canada

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

Great start so far, CelicaGT. I have both of the Ebbro Tyrrell kits in my stash, so I'll definitely be following your progress to benefit from your experience. Thanks loads for sharing with us!

BTW, for you or anyone building any kits of the "Series One" Tyrrells, the "British Racecar" site has a terrific collection of detail photos here: http://www.britishracecar.com/JohnDimme ... ll-004.htm
Although the photos are of Tyrrell 004 as it is currently being run in historic racing, Ken Tyrell was quoted at the time as saying that they built 002, 003, and 004 as near the same as possible, so the photos should be useful for any of those three cars.

The Ultimatecarpage.com site also has some other photos of 002 and 003:
https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/cg/1394 ... worth.html
https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/cg/6884 ... worth.html

Cameron

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

flashman wrote:Great start so far, CelicaGT. I have both of the Ebbro Tyrrell kits in my stash, so I'll definitely be following your progress to benefit from your experience. Thanks loads for sharing with us!

BTW, for you or anyone building any kits of the "Series One" Tyrrells, the "British Racecar" site has a terrific collection of detail photos here: http://www.britishracecar.com/JohnDimme ... ll-004.htm
Although the photos are of Tyrrell 004 as it is currently being run in historic racing, Ken Tyrell was quoted at the time as saying that they built 002, 003, and 004 as near the same as possible, so the photos should be useful for any of those three cars.

The Ultimatecarpage.com site also has some other photos of 002 and 003:
https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/cg/1394 ... worth.html
https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/cg/6884 ... worth.html

Cameron
That is an awesome set of photos! I'm sorry to say I actually found that website and forgot to post the link to F1M! It's the best set of photos I've found. I think a modeller must have taken those shots! :mrgreen:

Masking tape coming off! :D

I decided to mate the body pieces before painting and so some suspension pieces had to go on the body. That required masking the front suspension pieces (which I'd elected to leave in the Ebbro chrome finish). Unfortunately I didn't realize that the masking tape would take a good bit of the chrome finish off when I removed it. You can see a bit here:

On the plus side the top body panel fits very nicely! :D

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Here's the masking I did to paint the silver tube that goes around the cockpit.

After painting:

I still need to do some touch-up but I think it looks decent. The front suspension still needs a lot of work where the chrome plating came off. I also started work on the instrument cluster & wires.

GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ligier
France

Post by GF-F1 »

Hello,
Really nice painting; the parts looks very fine; it is probably not easy to manipulate, but it makes the kit much realistic.
Cheers.
Franck
www.gf-models.eu

gerty
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by gerty »

Terrific work and photos - and nice job with the seatbelts too !

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Very nice. Quality build!

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

It's been a busy time so I haven't progressed very far in the last month, but now I'm trying to get it finished by Christmas. Hmm, not sure if it will actually happen though! :lol:

I had some mishaps with painting the "FORD" emblem on the valve covers so that set me back a few days but I think it's passable now:

Engine joined with transmission and exhaust test-fitted. Still left to do are the fuel lines. I had them mostly complete but decided the color was wrong so I removed all of them.

Most of the decals are done

I'm doing a little bit of scratch-building. I'm making some water lines for the radiators.

I just used a piece of wire and then wrapped some Tamiya tape around it to make the fittings.

Vyacheslav
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Vyacheslav »

Great build! Let me be corrected if I am wrong, but the 002 chassis was developed specifically for the Cevert, and Stuart spoke on the 003 chassis.