Tamiya Ferrari SF70H

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: Tamiya Ferrari SF70H

Post by CTurbert »

Thanks all! Here's yet another update. The engine cover is fully decaled and ready for clear, as well as the monocoque assembly. I had some trouble with the Shell decal conforming to the right side of the engine cover but the left side decal went on perfectly. *Edit* I noticed I'm missing the Santander logos!

I also applied carbon fiber decals to the floor and suspension arms. I really can't wrap my mind around how small engine covers have gotten! The floor takes up an enormous amount of real estate while the engine cover seems to be shrunken in size.

Unfortunately Studio 27 made the suspension decals twice as wide as they need to be while the wishbones don't exactly have straight lines. As a result a lot of trimming + micro sol was needed to get them to confirm. Some of them cracked as a result but I'm hopeful I can patch them up. These decals are very brittle and do not respond well to micro-sol unlike Scale Motorsport CF decals. They do respond well to heat so I will probably start using a hair-dryer.

Progress will be a bit slower as I started a commission built Tamiya F2001.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

I've made some more progress. The monocoque and engine cover have been cleared with 2K clear, and I resumed some of the tedious CF decaling. With the exception of the issue with the decals lifting/wrinkling, I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out.

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Wow! It looks fantastic, great work.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Wow!!! I am speechless... also scared, should I, one day, do the same...

gerty
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by gerty »

Awesome work - keep opening my SF70H box and looking at the directions & pieces after viewing your terrific pics......but that's as far as I'm getting with it at this point :)

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Wow!! The Ferrari is looking great, fantastic finish you're getting with the clear both on the body and cf floor.
Keep up the great work!!

Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

CBartholomew4677 wrote:Wow!! The Ferrari is looking great, fantastic finish you're getting with the clear both on the body and cf floor.
Keep up the great work!!

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks! Progress is slow while I'm working on a commission build but it's getting there. I'm still deciding on which clear to use over the CF only parts such as the floor. I am going to leave the CF decals on the body alone to avoid complicated masking. This includes the monocoque, front wing, bargeboards and rear wing endplates. Those parts are already covered by 2K clear. For the CF only parts such as the floor, suspension, wheel hubs, etc, I might use decanted TS-79 semi gloss clear, or a mixture of Testors Gloss cote + dull cote. The TS-79 can eat decals but I might be able to get away with light mist coats. Or maybe I'll cover them all in 2K clear!

KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Hi,

Fantastic build. I am currently having a complete nightmare with any clear coat I try to use. The Halfords Lacquer I have used for years has suddenly started washing away/ bleaching my Zero "Rothmans Blue" Paint. Zero were brilliant & very, very kindly sent me their clear/ lacquer to try but that ate away the S27 Decals.
I've also tried Plastikote Lacquer, this gave a great finish, until it dried, then cracked and fractured the Paint. These problems have been going on for 6 months now, I'm exasperated & have run out of ideas!

I have three questions, what is the 2K Clear you used, where can I get some & have you ever had any problems with it?

Many, many thanks and keep up the great work!

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

KB78 wrote:Hi,

Fantastic build. I am currently having a complete nightmare with any clear coat I try to use. The Halfords Lacquer I have used for years has suddenly started washing away/ bleaching my Zero "Rothmans Blue" Paint. Zero were brilliant & very, very kindly sent me their clear/ lacquer to try but that ate away the S27 Decals.
I've also tried Plastikote Lacquer, this gave a great finish, until it dried, then cracked and fractured the Paint. These problems have been going on for 6 months now, I'm exasperated & have run out of ideas!

I have three questions, what is the 2K Clear you used, where can I get some & have you ever had any problems with it?

Many, many thanks and keep up the great work!
Sorry to hear that! This hobby can certainly be frustrating at times. I use Splash Paints 2K clear. They can be found at splash-paints.com. They have great customer service and ship the same, or next day. I'm not sure where you're located but they have some dealers overseas: https://www.splash-paints.com/copy-of-general-info

KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

I've been lucky, this is the first major problem I've ever really encountered. Many thanks for your help, hopefully Splash Lacquer will end my search. Many thanks & keep up the good work!