Tamiya Ferrari SF70H

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Ferrari SF70H

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

CTurbert wrote:
CBartholomew4677 wrote:Wow!! The Ferrari is looking great, fantastic finish you're getting with the clear both on the body and cf floor.
Keep up the great work!!

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks! Progress is slow while I'm working on a commission build but it's getting there. I'm still deciding on which clear to use over the CF only parts such as the floor. I am going to leave the CF decals on the body alone to avoid complicated masking. This includes the monocoque, front wing, bargeboards and rear wing endplates. Those parts are already covered by 2K clear. For the CF only parts such as the floor, suspension, wheel hubs, etc, I might use decanted TS-79 semi gloss clear, or a mixture of Testors Gloss cote + dull cote. The TS-79 can eat decals but I might be able to get away with light mist coats. Or maybe I'll cover them all in 2K clear!
I use all of the Tamiya clears (TS-13 Gloss, TS-79 Semi-Gloss, and TS-80 Flat) as well as Testors Gloss and Dull cote successfully over cf decals. My favorite for cf decals is Testors Model Master Metallizer Clear Coat, as it gives a satin finish, not flat, but not too gloss. Always give 1 or 2 mist coats to prevent damage to the decals, then heavier coats to finish. Regardless how you choose, I'm sure it's gonna look great!!

Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

CBartholomew4677 wrote:
CTurbert wrote:
CBartholomew4677 wrote:Wow!! The Ferrari is looking great, fantastic finish you're getting with the clear both on the body and cf floor.
Keep up the great work!!

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks! Progress is slow while I'm working on a commission build but it's getting there. I'm still deciding on which clear to use over the CF only parts such as the floor. I am going to leave the CF decals on the body alone to avoid complicated masking. This includes the monocoque, front wing, bargeboards and rear wing endplates. Those parts are already covered by 2K clear. For the CF only parts such as the floor, suspension, wheel hubs, etc, I might use decanted TS-79 semi gloss clear, or a mixture of Testors Gloss cote + dull cote. The TS-79 can eat decals but I might be able to get away with light mist coats. Or maybe I'll cover them all in 2K clear!
I use all of the Tamiya clears (TS-13 Gloss, TS-79 Semi-Gloss, and TS-80 Flat) as well as Testors Gloss and Dull cote successfully over cf decals. My favorite for cf decals is Testors Model Master Metallizer Clear Coat, as it gives a satin finish, not flat, but not too gloss. Always give 1 or 2 mist coats to prevent damage to the decals, then heavier coats to finish. Regardless how you choose, I'm sure it's gonna look great!!

Cheers,
Chris
Yes to the metalizer sealer! That's what I had been using. I used it on my Sauber C30 and the Red Bull RB6 before that. I recently ran out so I was exploring other options. I will probably go with the TS-79 since I have it.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

Just a small update. I haven't made a lot of progress as I've been focused on the F2001 commission, but I found some time to wet sand the SF70H with 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 sanding pads followed by some vigorous polishing with Meguiars scratch-x. It really smoothed out the paint but there are some small minuscule scratches that I need to clean up as you can see. I might just need to use a little more elbow grease.

I also managed to spray some clear over some of the CF decals. I first tried with TS-79 on the gearbox, but that didn't react to the CF decals too well. It's not bad but I didn't want to risk damaging other CF decal covered parts. As a result I decided to make my own mixture of Testors Gloss Cote + Dull Cote at a 5:1 ratio. The end result is a nice semi-gloss clear that is easy on the decals. Unfortunately while spraying the floor I found out that the left side decal was cracked in a few places. As a result, the air from my airbrush caused some of the pieces to 'flap in the breeze'. I panicked and immediately stopped to let it dry, then treated it with some micro-sol and resprayed. There are some hairline cracks visible, but everything is secure now :) The front suspension arms are covered in the Testors mixture.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

I've made a lot more progress on this since my last post, but didn't take many new pics. The car is now partially assembled minus the rear wing, bargeboards, steering wheel, and wheels/tires as well as some other small details. I ended up clearing over the cracked floor decals. Unfortunately the cracks were still very visible so I just covered the entire floor with the Tamiya kit decals, then cleared them with TS-79 semi gloss clear. I'm much happier with how the floor looks now.

I assembled the front wing which went together extremely well. I should have sprayed the CF decals on the front wing with semi gloss clear, but I kind of like how they look under 2K. Actually, all the parts that are not 100% carbon fiber are covered in 2K clear. Only the parts that are 100% carbon fiber are covered in semi gloss clear. This probably isn't the most realistic approach, but whatever. Saves me a lot of time on masking :) As for other stuff worth mentioning, I used Tamiya's seat belt set F and painted the edges of the belts with semi gloss black. It looks decent. I also cut off the buttons/switches on the steering wheel and used the kit supplied decals for them. I used the gold foil from the Tamiya F2001 kit for the heat shielding on the rear wing supports. I will probably post this in the Completed forum within a week so this will be my last progress post in this thread. Enjoy!

heyes57
F3
F3

Post by heyes57 »

Hey CT....good looking build. I felt your pain when I read "the masking tape incident"....who among us hasn't had that happen but you saved it well(thank God for brake fluid). Just as an aside, haven't modern Formula 1 cars gotten ugly!!!! I know that advancements in aerodynamics etc. have caused this but I yearn for the days of the beautiful Jordan 191, the Brabham BT44B or the stunning McLaren MP4/6. Keep up the good work.

Cheers & Beers
Richard

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

heyes57 wrote:Hey CT....good looking build. I felt your pain when I read "the masking tape incident"....who among us hasn't had that happen but you saved it well(thank God for brake fluid). Just as an aside, haven't modern Formula 1 cars gotten ugly!!!! I know that advancements in aerodynamics etc. have caused this but I yearn for the days of the beautiful Jordan 191, the Brabham BT44B or the stunning McLaren MP4/6. Keep up the good work.

Cheers & Beers
Richard
Thanks! I'm glad I was able to make that save. Yes, the modern cars don't compare to the simple flowing clean lines of the cars from older generations. Those cars are works of art. I personally think the new cars look pretty cool. They're more aggressive looking, if anything.

heyes57
F3
F3

Post by heyes57 »

Your CF & paint work on the front wing is masterly. Works of
art and an abject lesson to all, not only in skill but patience.

Cheers & Beers
Richard