Simtek S941 FINISHED!

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

Re: Simtek S941

Post by KB78 »

Hi,

I finished mine early this year, it sits a little too high but still haven't had time to adjust it (I will get around to it). Over all though that Blue/Purple looks fantastic, I assume that it's Zero's Simtek Blue? The Front suspension wishbones also sit a little too far back, there's too big a gap to the front Wing. Also the Front left Wing flap hole (In the end plate) is sited too high so you might want to drill one a little lower down to avoid the massive gap I ended up with. Hope that this helps.

KB.

Topic author
Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

KB78 wrote:Hi,

I finished mine early this year, it sits a little too high but still haven't had time to adjust it (I will get around to it). Over all though that Blue/Purple looks fantastic, I assume that it's Zero's Simtek Blue? The Front suspension wishbones also sit a little too far back, there's too big a gap to the front Wing. Also the Front left Wing flap hole (In the end plate) is sited too high so you might want to drill one a little lower down to avoid the massive gap I ended up with. Hope that this helps.

KB.
Thanks for shearing your experience with this model, i will keep your advice in mind about the space between the wing and the flap. I did not used the kit tyres, i'm using the Fujimi fw16 tyres wich are a little bigger, more true to scale (st27 are actualy to small) so i hope this will solve the gap between te wheels and front wing. The paint is indeed from Zero, perfect color match.
Can you upload a picture of your build?. Thanks!

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Re: My next project

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

smirkoff wrote:Wise decision to change the tyres. S27 tyres are generally or too small, or too "square" shouldered etc. Good project!
Not to mention they sometimes melt paint, decals and plastic they come in contact with. Found that out the hard way :x .

Very cool project, love to see these unique cars being built. Looking forward to seeiing your progress.
Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Austria

Post by Hein »

I assembled the frontwing yesterday, went together very easy.
Some thin strips need to be added to the inside of the end plates, on the underside (horizontale flap..?!).
Painting time is slowly comming closer. :D
Attachments
20180923_212433-1152x864.jpg
20180923_212503-1152x864.jpg

KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Apologies for the slight delay, here are a few Pictures of my Build. I'll try to point out any area's you might want to focus on/ rectify.

The Gap/ space between the front Wing Flap and the main plane are too big, I didn't realise until I was sticking it all together (Especially the Right hand side).
Simtek S941 (2A).jpg
The Front Wing end-plates are way too far forward of the front wheel, I'm not sure how to rectify this.
Simtek S941 (3A).jpg
The area in between the rear suspension wishbones & drive shaft area is completely open. This isn't correct, so I made some Plates from Plasticard to fill in this space.
Simtek S941 (4A).jpg
However, whilst it isn't a perfect Kit, I had wanted a Simtek S941 since it first appeared back in late December/ Early January 1993/1994 (I remember the Team & Car being launched WAY before any of the other 1994 Cars) it does however build up into a really lovely looking Car when finished. That Blue/Purple is brilliant!
Simtek S941 (1A).jpg
I could only find the Pacific GP version so I had to order the "Cox" & "Vernilux" Decals, getting them custom Printed. In hindsight the "Cox" logo's are too small & the "Vernilux" too big. But that's my fault, nothing to do with the Kit itself. Overall though I really love this Car. The Pictures don't really do it justice. Enjoy your Build!

Topic author
Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Austria

Post by Hein »

Hey KB,
Thanks for your pictures!, very nice build! I see what you mean with the front wing issues. The gap between the main part and the flaps are indeed to big, although looks a little less at my kit (no offence) maybe becouse of the different type endplate..?!
And i was also bewondering about the open area around the rear suspension, but it looks like the late version with the cut of diffusor etc. didn't had those panels. Hard to see at pictures and video's but it looks like this area is left open after the aero regulation changes.

Same as you i have a lot of memories about the Simtek team from that time, i was there at the belgian GP 94 and remember that distinguish nose and that purple blue.. i just had to build one.

Again very cool build and thanks for sharing.

KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

No problem at all, I had meant to post the Pictures here anyway but forgot all about it!
As for the area around the rear Suspension/ Drive shafts? I don't know, it just looked "wrong" without the Panels, every other Car on the grid had this area filled (the Turbulence/drag without them must be huge!?) so I made some. If I'm honest it looks MUCH cleaner with them in place but that's just my point of view. It's amazing how a little Team only around for 18 months still holds such fascination! Enjoy your build!

Topic author
Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Austria

Post by Hein »

KB78 wrote:No problem at all, I had meant to post the Pictures here anyway but forgot all about it!
As for the area around the rear Suspension/ Drive shafts? I don't know, it just looked "wrong" without the Panels, every other Car on the grid had this area filled (the Turbulence/drag without them must be huge!?) so I made some. If I'm honest it looks MUCH cleaner with them in place but that's just my point of view. It's amazing how a little Team only around for 18 months still holds such fascination! Enjoy your build!
Hi! Here i found a few pictures where you can see the area around the drive shsft/rear susp.
On the early season Ratzenberger car you can see the panels (like you made them on your model KB).
On the late season car pics there you can see that the area is open.
So i guess they left the panels away on the late season cars.

Hein
Attachments
sim3.jpg
sim2.jpg
sim2.jpg (45.02 KiB) Viewed 133 times
sim1.JPG
sim1.JPG (49.1 KiB) Viewed 133 times

KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

It certainly looks like the Panels are "missing" on the Car later in the year, curious. I built mine to reflect the Imola specification so all of my research focused on the really early races, so I had never noticed the Panels were absent after Spain. You learn something new every day!

Topic author
Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Austria

Post by Hein »

KB78 wrote:It certainly looks like the Panels are "missing" on the Car later in the year, curious. I built mine to reflect the Imola specification so all of my research focused on the really early races, so I had never noticed the Panels were absent after Spain. You learn something new every day!
The 1994 cars had to change the diffusor area from the spain GP, it was no longer permitted to use aero bodywork in that area behind the center of the rear wheels, diffusor and bodywork panels where "cut off" accept the area the width of the reference plain (wooden plank). So the area near the driveshaft could no longer be covered by aerodynamic panels.
Those areas had to be changed quickly and probably Simtek did not had the money to review the compleet design of the rear so they just ripped those panels off without changing the rest of the bodywork, this is just my assumption :)

The same rules were of use at the 1995 cars but becouse of these cars were designed with this in mind the solutions were more "clean".