1/64 Penske PC1

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

1/64 Penske PC1

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Hi everyone,

I found this Yatming Lola T370 at a flea market at the princely sum of $1, so I figured it'd make a fun restoration project. However, I quickly realized there aren't any 1/64 decal sheets of the Embassy-Hill Lola. After looking at the toy and grids from the airbox era, I figured a relatively close Penske PC1 could be made from it. And better yet, IndyCals offers the Penske decals in 1/64. Thanks Michael!

Here's the car as I found it.

And here it is after a night of cutting down the sidepods and plenty of sanding. Tonight I will fill in the air duct on the cockpit shroud and give the whole body a healthy dose of Mr. Surfacer. I will also be adding some detail and paint to the engine area. The most difficult part might be finding new wheels/tires, as the ones it came with are not cutting it. Time to raid the closest grocery store toy aisle.

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

Re: 1/64 Penske PC1

Work continues on the PC1. My IndyCals order came a couple days ago and hopefully will be applied this week.

Here's the body with 1 coat of Mr. Surfacer. A little sanding is needed on the cockpit front, where I filled in the old NACA duct.

And from behind after the 1st coat. I modified the intake by cutting the airbox back and then enlarged the engine fairing. Some more putty is needed. Another update will be up tomorrow with the car in full paint.

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Cool! Try eBay and others for 1/64 wheels and rubber tires. Also search Shapeways.

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

Hi everyone, an update. We have color! Since the last photos posted, I filled in a couple holes with putty and gave it a last coat of Mr Surfacer 1000. Then I splayed 2 coats of Tamiya fine surface primer and then used TS-44 brilliant blue and TS-49 bright red for the color. For masking, I used Tamiya tape for curves for the first time. I liked how easily I could make the tape form around shapes, though next time I will make sure to burnish the edges more as I had more bleed than I would've liked. I applied all the IndyCals and gave it a thick coat of Testor's Ultragloss clear.

I will polish the clear tonight and then paint the suspension bits in the back and the airbox hole. Thanks for looking!

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Nice :-)