Ebbro Lotus 49

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Ebbro Lotus 49

Post by CelicaGT »

I've been working on this for a while and now that I'm almost done I decided to finally start a WIP. :D

Just getting started

Working on the DFV

I decided to leave most of the chrome parts as is even though I'm not 100% happy with how the chrome looks. BUT, I couldn't let the velocity stacks go so I stripped them and painted them with some Model Masters Metalizer and then polished them.

I don't have an airbrush and don't really want to have the hassle of one either so I don't think I have access to the fancier metalizer paints. But the Model Masters seems pretty decent.

I decided to add some brake lines using some thin wire I found at Hobby Lobby painted silver.

I also added fuel lines to the DFV using some clear plastic tubing (0.4mm I think) painted yellow. I'm not that happy with the color the fuel lines came out (I think it's too light and yellow) but after about 4 different tries (too dark, too light, too orange, etc.) I finally decided to just leave it.

Wheels are on! The nose doesn't fit at all. :( After reading about others having problems with the nose fitting I did what I thought was a ton of sanding. I guess it still needs a lot more.

On a side-note, does anyone know where to find the aftermarket metal velocity stacks? I have a Tyrrell 002 waiting to be started and it might be nice to have some of those cool metal ones but I can't find them anywhere. Is it just me or do those aftermarket parts for certain kits disappear really quickly?

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Re: Ebbro Lotus 49

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

That's a nice looking build so far! I love this kit and have built it twice. Yes, the nosecone is atrocious. To get it really right, I think you have to fiddle with the way it slots at the bottom. I've sanded the top down to next to nothing and it's still just a tiny bit off. Best of luck!

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Looking good! Best of luck with it!

I do not know if it is a problem for others, or just me, but I had a hard time aligning the suspension to keep the wheels straight. I kept getting a toe on on the rear, and tow out on the front. Which would not have won any championships ;)
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Looking very good! I am sure you'll be able to fix the nosecone problem.

Thanks for share it.

Regards,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Yes, looking good! I like the added fuel and brake lines, and your metal colour choices.

Here in Japan:
People often use mono-filament fishing line (which comes in a variety of gauges/ thicknesses) for fuel lines. It can be painted, and looks pretty realistic. But because it's rather stiff, you sometimes have to "pre-crinkle" or "pre-curl" it by yanking the line forcefully around something hard, like a screwdriver shaft or a table edge. You also have to stick the ends in a hole somewhere, so you need a variety of pin-vise drill bit sizes too.

Many people:
Have had problems getting that kit's nosecone over the radiator, without breaking something. I had to sand lots of plastic out of the inside of mine, with 300 grit, to make the plastic thinner from the inside, and get it to fit.

And my personal experience was:
When I first applied that long yellow stripe across the top, it came out all crooked. On my second attempt (with new decals), it helped to glue all the body parts together -- the nosecone, the cockpit top-surround, and the body -- with white/ wood/ Elmers glue, to get the stripe in a straight line. Then, a day after stripe decal was straight and dry, I put wet tissue over the body joints, to make the white glue soften (turn white) again, and gently pulled the body parts apart.

I also found Tamiya TS-16 Yellow to be a perfect match for those decals, in case you need to do touch-ups.

Great work so far. Can't wait to see the finished result!

Cheers, Chris

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Eagle50 wrote:Yes, looking good! I like the added fuel and brake lines, and your metal colour choices.

Here in Japan:
People often use mono-filament fishing line (which comes in a variety of gauges/ thicknesses) for fuel lines. It can be painted, and looks pretty realistic. But because it's rather stiff, you sometimes have to "pre-crinkle" or "pre-curl" it by yanking the line forcefully around something hard, like a screwdriver shaft or a table edge. You also have to stick the ends in a hole somewhere, so you need a variety of pin-vise drill bit sizes too.

Many people:
Have had problems getting that kit's nosecone over the radiator, without breaking something. I had to sand lots of plastic out of the inside of mine, with 300 grit, to make the plastic thinner from the inside, and get it to fit.

When I first applied that long yellow stripe across the top, it came out all crooked. On my second attempt (with new decals), it helped to glue all the body parts together -- the nosecone, the cockpit top-surround, and the body -- with white/ wood/ Elmers glue, to get the stripe in a straight line. Then, a day after stripe decal was straight and dry, I put wet tissue over the body joints, to make the white glue soften (turn white) again, and gently pulled the body parts apart.

I also found Tamiya TS-16 Yellow to be a perfect match for those decals, in case you need to do touch-ups.

Cheers, Chris
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice. I will keep that information on a sheet of paper inside my Type 49 instructions folder.

Regards,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:That's a nice looking build so far! I love this kit and have built it twice. Yes, the nosecone is atrocious. To get it really right, I think you have to fiddle with the way it slots at the bottom. I've sanded the top down to next to nothing and it's still just a tiny bit off. Best of luck!
Thanks! I remember seeing your completed Lotus 49 for a different team and being very impressed. Was the other 49 you built of the Team Lotus one?
Eagle50 wrote:Yes, looking good! I like the added fuel and brake lines, and your metal colour choices.

Here in Japan:

Many people:

Cheers, Chris
Awesome. Thanks for all the tips Chris. I also found your guide on how to get the yellow decals around the curve of the nose cone in another thread and plan to use those once I get to that point. I really like the idea of gluing everything to make sure it's all straight. The yellow stripe really is made up of a lot of decals that you have to keep straight.

I actually started out with fishing line but found it too be way too springy/stiff. It was just too hard to work with. I found some kind of flexible clear plastic line for necklaces or something at Hobby Lobby that is perfect (except for not being fuel-line-yellow :lol: ).

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

I've made a bit more progress on the decals but the yellow nose decal gave me some big problems. Even after reading all of the suggestions on how to make it go on smoothly I just didn't have the skill to pull it off. There are a few small wrinkles around the corners and then of course there's the lack of coverage on the bottom lip. I was considering removing the entire decal and either painting it or trying again but I just decided to get some TS-16 and do touch-ups instead.

After some aggressive sanding the nose seems to be fitting better, but not great.

Any tips for flattening out small wrinkles in decals?

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Looking good :) . I really like that British racing green, keep 'Em comin'.

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Great work you're doing here, the Lotus is awesome !!
Looking forward to seeing more.
Cheers,
Chris