Ebbro Lotus 49

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: Ebbro Lotus 49

Post by M.Chriss »

Looking good! You have done very well without an airbrush. Don't dismiss ever using an airbrush. After I finally came to terms with mine, I'm so glad I put the time in to learn how to use it.
Michael Chriss

craig
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by craig »

Great results. I have one in transit by mail and searching WIP/Completed Projects to see how everyone handles the challenges of this kit.
That paint is a beauty.

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

CelicaGT wrote:
whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:That's a nice looking build so far! I love this kit and have built it twice. Yes, the nosecone is atrocious. To get it really right, I think you have to fiddle with the way it slots at the bottom. I've sanded the top down to next to nothing and it's still just a tiny bit off. Best of luck!
Thanks! I remember seeing your completed Lotus 49 for a different team and being very impressed. Was the other 49 you built of the Team Lotus one?
Yes! You can find it here: https://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=28628

Your build is coming along very nicely! That British racing green looks beautiful. As for the wrinkles in the decals, have you tried MicroSol and MicroSet? If not, they're a combination that works well to get decals to sit down. You apply MicroSet to soften the decal, and then apply MicroSol to get the decal to conform to curves/panel lines.

Best of luck!

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

M.Chriss wrote:Looking good! You have done very well without an airbrush. Don't dismiss ever using an airbrush. After I finally came to terms with mine, I'm so glad I put the time in to learn how to use it.
Thanks. Maybe when I have more time & space I'll get an airbrush. They do look nice to have.
craig wrote:Great results. I have one in transit by mail and searching WIP/Completed Projects to see how everyone handles the challenges of this kit.
That paint is a beauty.
You will definitely have fun building it!

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:
CelicaGT wrote:
whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:That's a nice looking build so far! I love this kit and have built it twice. Yes, the nosecone is atrocious. To get it really right, I think you have to fiddle with the way it slots at the bottom. I've sanded the top down to next to nothing and it's still just a tiny bit off. Best of luck!
Thanks! I remember seeing your completed Lotus 49 for a different team and being very impressed. Was the other 49 you built of the Team Lotus one?
Yes! You can find it here: https://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=28628

Your build is coming along very nicely! That British racing green looks beautiful. As for the wrinkles in the decals, have you tried MicroSol and MicroSet? If not, they're a combination that works well to get decals to sit down. You apply MicroSet to soften the decal, and then apply MicroSol to get the decal to conform to curves/panel lines.

Best of luck!
I haven't tried MicroSol/Set but I do have some Tamiya Mark Fit solution. No matter how much I used I still was left with some really small wrinkles.

Your weathered Lotus looks great. I also like to build armour so I know how much fun weathering can be. I have to say though, you are braver than me to weather an F1 car! I don't think I could bare it!

One more question...when applying the yellow stripe decal over the intake just before the windscreen, how the heck do you get it to conform to that? Is it lots of decal solution or do you have to make some type of cut in the decal?

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark