Fujimi Sauber C30 Monaco GP (w/ engine)

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Re: Fujimi Sauber C30 Monaco GP (w/ engine)

Post by Shunter »

Looking great...I should really do mine..

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

Shunter wrote:Looking great...I should really do mine..
Thanks! You should. It's actually a pretty good kit.

As for the carbon fiber decals, Studio 27 made a carbon fiber decal set for the Sauber C31, but for some reason they didn't make one for the Sauber C30. As a result I started creating and cutting my own templates for the carbon fiber decals. With my luck Studio 27 will probably release a carbon fiber set for the Sauber C30 while I'm still working on mine!

I'll be doing the suspension, radiator ducts, airbox, wings/winglets, and cockpit/monocoque. It's very tedious, but I think it will be worth the effort. I don't think I'll be doing the hubs/brake ducts as they won't be 100% visible plus they have complicated shapes. Once I make some progress with the carbon fiber decals I'll take some pics and post them here.

https://www.instagram.com/reality_scaled

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Great start. I really should do mine too... Thanks for sharing. Don't drive yourself crazy with the CF decals!

Cheers, Chris

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

Eagle50 wrote:Great start. I really should do mine too... Thanks for sharing. Don't drive yourself crazy with the CF decals!

Cheers, Chris
Thanks Chris! I'm afraid it's too late! I've gone through about 1 sheet of SMS twill weave carbon fiber. I'm doing every surface: Floor, airbox, radiator ducts, gearbox, suspension arms, monocoque, wing endplates, cameras, turning vanes. I don't think I'll tackle the wheel hubs/brake ducts but I may not be able to resist...

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

Time for an update on the C30. I went nuts with carbon fiber decals over the past few days and probably cut about 50+ templates. Like I said in my previous posts I am covering a lot of surfaces. Here's some of what I've done so far:

Front wing endplates and radiator ducts. Need to touch up some of the white areas which are decals.

Applying carbon fiber decal to the floor. Lots and lots of Micro-Sol!

Mock-up. I also decaled the gearbox. I might leave the rear crash structure as-is just to give some contrast.

You probably saw my post for a spare "Action for Road Safety" decal in the Wanted forum. Well, I haven't gotten any replies so I improvised by cutting it out, pulling off the rest of the white decal with masking tape, and airbrushing the entire thing with white primer. I may just clear over the primer then re-apply the decal I had cut out. I'm honestly not sure why I bothered putting the white decal on in the first place as it doesn't match the TS-26 that the rest of the car was painted with.

More to come!

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

That carbon work is looking excellent! If you wanted to differentiate the rear impact structure maybe you could use a different weave of carbon, or a different decal manufacturer? Or even shoot that area with some clear smoke colour after using the same carbon. Hell if a job so far. I love how 'clean' it looks, almost crisp! Something I strive for in my own builds but never quite manage.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

Tyrone wrote:That carbon work is looking excellent! If you wanted to differentiate the rear impact structure maybe you could use a different weave of carbon, or a different decal manufacturer? Or even shoot that area with some clear smoke colour after using the same carbon. Hell if a job so far. I love how 'clean' it looks, almost crisp! Something I strive for in my own builds but never quite manage.
Thanks for the advice! The shape is very complicated with lots of curves, but I may end up doing just that, using another type of weave.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

Time for an update. I got a new cutting mat as my previous one warped pretty badly. I also broke the rear suspension pushrod assembly, but R.Wells was generous enough to send me a replacement free of charge!

I have finished applying CF decal on some of the other components. I decided not to apply CF decal to the brake hubs because I just find complex pieces like that to be too time consuming. After the decals dried I sprayed the parts with Testors One Coat Clear lacquer, however the CF decals on the front wishbones bubbled up in places. I also wasn't entirely happy with how glossy the parts looked. I then sprayed them with Testors Metalizer sealer which has more of a semi gloss finish to tone down the gloss. Unfortunately I will need to re-do the front wishbones.

Front wishbones before the clearcoat issue:

Engine and gearbox mounted to the floor. Missing the aforementioned rear pushrod. Just a test dry-fit.

Next up is applying more CF decal to the rear wing end plates, monocoque, cockpit, turning vanes and other small components before finally putting this thing together.

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Very impressive carbon decal work, especially that one-piece floor you did. The car is coming along nicely!

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:Very impressive carbon decal work, especially that one-piece floor you did. The car is coming along nicely!
Thanks! It's time consuming yet rewarding. I originally planned on only applying CF decals to the suspension pieces but I got a bit carried away...