WIP: Ferrari SF70H Australian GP 2017 Vettel

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

WIP: Ferrari SF70H Australian GP 2017 Vettel

Post by lezdep »

Did not plan to do WIP for this build, as I thought there are enough builds of Tamiya's SF70H kit out there.
But in spirit of making more WIP's in the forum, I'm going to start it anyway. I actually started my build back
in March, as soon as I've received my kit. Just gong to post photos and comments from my blog from past
posts. At present I am waiting on Zero paints to arrive, so I can start getting main colors on.

MARCH 24, 2018 - Tamiya SF70H WIP started

Received my copy of this kit this week. Wanted to start it right away. Starting with usual test assembly and
parts preparations. So far it feels right at same high Tamiya standard engineering level as other Formula 1 kits
from them. Made some photos with S27 W08 and Ebbro MP4/30 in the frame for comparison.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Re: WIP: Ferrari SF70H Australian GP 2017 Vettel

Post by lezdep »

APRIL 11, 2018 - Pre-assemblies for SF70H

Spent some time looking through my reference photos and contemplating a way to eliminate
the seam that would be present if side pod front parts are glues later as instructions suggest.
I don't see this seam on real car. In attempt to eliminate it I've decided to partially assemble
side pod front parts and glue then in. Same applies to all nose and parts of monocoque under
side. And to roll hop as well. I also don't see any seams around it on real car. Below is a photo
of the pre-assemblies I've done so far. Prior to that I have painted semi-gloss black inside body
panels. It would not have been possible to paint it later.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

MAY 7, 2018 - Putty work started for SF70H build

Lots and lots of seems and injection pin marks to fill in. Recent Tamiya kits seem
to have an excessive number of injection marks. I wonder how is the kind of injection
process they use different from other manufacturers. BeeMax and Fujimi kits for example,
don't seems to have as many. I've even decided to leave some of them, which will not be
very visible under black paint and in some hard to see places. Don't like those prep steps
much, so trying to avoid any extra work.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Last weekend I started to prime parts. Decided to go with light layers of grey first. Will need to smooth these
coats a bit and then get white primer on the parts, which will be white and red later. First photo shows well
how much pre-assembly I've done for the main shell of my model. On second photo it is possible to make out
what other pre-assemblies I've done before primer for other parts.

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Subscribed. Nice start Sergey...

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Nice work, kits always look so crisp under a layer of primer.
Whilst I don't like this car I'm always interested to see how a state of the art Tamiya kit fits together.
Will be following...

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Nice start, Sergey.

Thanks for share it.

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Looks good Sergey, the pic with primer really highlights the complexity of all the flip-ups, winglets etc.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Got white and red base paint coats on over last few weeks. I’ve used masks provided in the kit for the fin on engine cover.
Zero matched red went on reasonably well. It might not be 100% even, but close enough. Clear coat is going to be next, before
I could mask again and spray some semi-gloss black. After SG black is applied, I should be able to switch focus to applying decals
for the main livery and CF decals as well.

I’ve also painted floor, gearbox and number of suspension pats in new Zero carbon paint. It’s not a direct replacement for CF decals
and does not provide CF patterns out of the jar. But I will use it as base for CF decals and probably even leave it exposed as is on
some parts, that I won’t apply CF decals to. The likes of brake ducts, underside of the floor and probably most of the gearbox casing.

CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

lezdep wrote:Got white and red base paint coats on over last few weeks. I’ve used masks provided in the kit for the fin on engine cover.
Zero matched red went on reasonably well. It might not be 100% even, but close enough. Clear coat is going to be next, before
I could mask again and spray some semi-gloss black. After SG black is applied, I should be able to switch focus to applying decals
for the main livery and CF decals as well.

I’ve also painted floor, gearbox and number of suspension pats in new Zero carbon paint. It’s not a direct replacement for CF decals
and does not provide CF patterns out of the jar. But I will use it as base for CF decals and probably even leave it exposed as is on
some parts, that I won’t apply CF decals to. The likes of brake ducts, underside of the floor and probably most of the gearbox casing.

Looks good! You successfully avoided the mistakes I made on the engine cover fin :) Do you have any pics of the Zero carbon paint? In my opinion the CF decals for the brake hubs aren't needed as they're hidden by the wheels, though the brake ducts would be visible. The CF decals for the brake ducts themselves are very time consuming and are difficult to lay down smoothly. Also, the gearbox casing between the upper suspension wishbones isn't visible when the car is assembled, so those CF decals could be left out as well. The rear crash structure is visible however. It's up to you though!