Multiple WIP Jordan, Mclaren, Lotus, Peugeot & Mercedes

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Multiple WIP Jordan, Mclaren, Lotus, Peugeot & Mercedes

Post by daveyman »

Going to add a quick multiple WIP on my various ongoing projects. Progress is very slow so its not being worth me doing a full individual WIP but I'll try and keep updating like this if I get chance.
I'm currently working on the Jordan 191, Peugeot 905, McLaren MP4/13, Mercedes 190 DTM and a much modified Lotus 102. All are painted using Zero paints.

If anybody wants to know about a particular build, please ask.
Attachments
DSC_0001.jpg

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Multiple WIP Jordan, Mclaren, Lotus, Peugeot & Mercedes

Post by SebLeung »

Looking good! What Lotus kit is that? A MM kit or a Tamiya conversion?
http://www.f1modelling.com

Topic author
daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

It is the Lotus 102B, Judd engined. Tamiya kit. I've hacked it about and rebuilt the airbox and reshaped the nose cone. I'll get some pics up to show what I've done.

Topic author
daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Pictures of my attempt at converting the Tamiya Lotus 102B back to the 102 from the previous year. First things first, this isn't having an engine swap so it will be curbside. The bodywork is firmly glued to the monocoque. I cut away the airbox as it is very different on the 102, thins of at the trailing edge and a sleeker profile than the 102B.
I glued a sheet of plastic sheet into the area where the airbox should be and then cut and sanded it to the correct, by eye, profile and the filled the gaps with 2 part automotive bodyfiller. I then sanded the filler to the correct, again by eye, shape. I wanted to incorporate the big bulges at the back of the airbox, I think they are a key part of the look of this car.
I also scalloped out the trailing edge of the sidepods, I may have overdone this effect tho. The diffuser has been stolen from a McLaren MP4/5B and given a less aggressive profile, again not 100% accurate but not bad.
The nose cone was filled with bodyfiller from underneath and then I simply sanded and sculpted the plastic until I was happy with the shape of the nose.
The car is now under Zero paints Camel yellow and a coat of Tamiya TS13. Next stage is sand it back for a shine and apply decals.
Attachments
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0003_2.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0002_1.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0001_2.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg

SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

It looks really good - I love the Camel yellow Lotuses throughout the years, but I'm not quite at the skill level required to do such a conversion yet. Be sure to continue posting updates!
http://www.f1modelling.com

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Great work on the lotus 102 conversion

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Whoa!! No messing around with the multiple WiPs, love it. You've got some cool projects there, looking forward to seeing you bring them to completion.
Cheers,
Chris

tunyco
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren and Ayrton Senna
Portugal

Post by tunyco »

Very good work on Lotus 102, I'm also have this project in my to do list, and certainly I'll follow yours with attention.

Cheers
Antonio
COMPLETE: Jordan J195 Club-M
Next in line: Tyrrell 012 Benetton

Topic author
daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Thanks guys, appreciate your interest.
Guess I ought to explain the builds a bit more really. The Peugeot 905 is the Heller kit. It is a very basic kit so once again its curbside with bodywork fastened down. At the moment it is under Zero white and masked of with the black areas painted. I need to decal these and then semi gloss varnish the black to get the contrasting finish between white and black. I have the Shunko decal sheet to use.
The Jordan is an exercise in masking. I sprayed white, masked off the key line, sprayed light green, masked off the nose wing stripe and sidepod shapes and then sprayed dark green. Next step is to mask and spray the blue. Again, all paint is zero.
The Mercedes is the diebels alt car of 1992. Just love the green and gold colours. Manged to get hold of the studio 27 decal sheet so I was straight into this car. Detail is OK but I had to completely scratch the roll cage, I'll put a photo up later. Next step with the body is to mask and spray the dark green.
The Mclaren is a long term project and I intend to spray the whole livery. Need to do some practise of different techniques to get consistent feathering effects first tho.
Thanks for looking and please ask if you have any questions, it may even motivate me to get more work done....

ferrarissimus
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Germany

Post by ferrarissimus »

I like the challenge of scratch building to convert an existing model. This is modeling! You did a great job with the Lotus. But I do not use Zero or Gravity lacquer and Tamiya paints overlapping, in view of the risk of incompatibility.
Cheers ferrarissimus